Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Power kicks the Thai way

Power kicks the Thai way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=witJISymkWo

This is a good light/medium level workout (depends on your conditioning) you can do, even if you don't have a full banana bag it's OK. Yodsanklai is probably the hardest kicker p4p in Thailand right now.

Just drill body kicks over and over again, knees, push kicks/side kicks and punching combinations.

Important to note, watch how he does his thrust kick (right one) at 0:51. That style is for more power and damage.

At 0:57 notice how he throws the knees, thrust the body outward by pushing off the supporting foot. Don't force your knee so high, focusing thrusting forwards with the hip and throw your weight into it.

Watch the kicks closely, especially the footwork. A lot of people have this weird idea that the "step" you need to take to line up the kick (if you want to even take a step) need to be big or exaggerated but this is not true, it can be very, very minute movement in the footwork.

Another trick is to forcefully "step-into" your supporting leg, it can just be a TINY step or movement like I stated but it's the way you drive into the ground, and then explode back up for a bit of extra power and momentum.

And oh, don't keep your knees locked man. Too many Kickboxer movies of kicking trees, LOL. Bend your knee it should slam out.

Remember the adage my old Thai trainer always tells me:

"You don't kick with your leg, you kick with your hip."

edit: waiting for CMA people to tell me something wrong with these kicks.
    Last edited by Violent Designs; 10-18-2010 at 12:09 AM.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Nice!

because a lot of them wouldn't know a real kick
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

why does every thread need to be an attack on kung fu practice.

you don't think muay thai is a traditional martial art? lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

he is clearly not using any "qi" in his movements

I thought it was gonna be this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wcTrmW9OLE

Old School Hardcore.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Nicely done, I am not a fan of his punches but that left round is a thing of beauty.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

bag training? really?

can you guys put up even more boring videos? lol

pad training shows more...how about a pad training drill? lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

a kick is just a kick

a kick is not just a kick (tactics and strategy, opening--)

a kick is just a kick.

1. accuracy and speed are important, too

power wise, only need sufficient or enough, since you are kicking the soft spots, such as temple, ribside, abdomen, groin, chin, knee shin ---

low kick, crescent kick, axe kick, side kick, point kick---

shaolin has 64 or 88 leg method or kicking methods

how many methods in thai kicks?

2. tactics and strategy

what are in thai kicks?

3. power is enough to do the job, no need to persue more and more power in the kicks

use a iron rod or a weapon, your leg is stronger than an iron rod?

hwat are weapon training in thai way?

4 how to defend against kicks?

----

in muay thai there is a weapons element that is fast falling by the wayside in favour of the current iteration which is for sport fighting.

but Krabi Krabong is the Thai version of weapons arts.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    why does every thread need to be an attack on kung fu practice.

you don't think muay thai is a traditional martial art? lol
    Because you have clueless kung fu "sifus" like that moonymantis guy who claim to have studied kung fu for 40 years coming here telling people they are not supposed to drop their arm when kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    in muay thai there is a weapons element that is fast falling by the wayside in favour of the current iteration which is for sport fighting.

but Krabi Krabong is the Thai version of weapons arts.
    And the guys who do the sport fighting version of Krabi Krabong are light years ahead of the guys who do the pretend version.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Because you have clueless kung fu "sifus" like that moonymantis guy who claim to have studied kung fu for 40 years coming here telling people they are not supposed to drop their arm when kicking.
    why do you deliberately target individuals in your gripes?

there's a whole crapload of kicks that keep the hands up.

thai cutting kick is pretty strong kick. they train the crap out of it.

the one kick practiced 10,000 times so to speak really does apply to MT practice.

It's foolish to not respect the MT kicking training or methods. I know a couple fo guys that have feet that are faster than some peoples hands. They train Muay Thai and they are lightweight guys who on occasion enter a bout or two.

But, I also know a kung fu guy who teaches that has wicked kicks and training for them and he's not MT at all.

then I know quite a few standard kickboxer guys that have awesome leg control and power too.

But like you, if you cannot relate something to your experience, you are going to question it.

Time changes everything.

You claim to have years of training and experience and yet find it difficult to be civil a lot of the time. That means that you haven't learned a lot about how to relate with others well and you are narrowing your own ability to pick up on something useful yourself.

a wise man can learn more from a fool than the other way around in other words.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I was uust about to say the same thing David j
    Quote:

because a lot of them wouldn't know a real kick

dragon,
    for what reason must you feel the need post soemthing adn then automatically attack adn put down Kung fu?
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    And the guys who do the sport fighting version of Krabi Krabong are light years ahead of the guys who do the pretend version.
    There are extremely few practitioners of actual krabi krabong. Even in Thailand itself it's a rarity.

there's a sport version of krabi krabong? I'd like to see that.

sword fighting for real? cooool! lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

is there even such a thing? i searched youtube for krabi krabong but it only turned up demos.