Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: the wing chun body

Quote Originally Posted by theo View Post
    Lots of great posts in here, and I agree with the idea that do be able to do it, one needs to do it. That's indisputable and the intent of my question was not to say one doesn't need to practice. But the point was to ask, what does it mean, and how do we develop it? Sure you do it by doing it, but what are you doing? Just start chain punching and practicing a step turn? Plenty of people who "DO IT" but are still stiff as a board they have not conditioned their body to attain what Hendrik is referring to here as a reference point. If you've ever met anyone that truly has the lightness you will know, I have. Hendrik has a great explanation of hard and soft bow above, and this is what I was getting at. what does it mean and what do you have to have in order to not be a Dead Post? Does whatever you're doing do it? Again, not implying anybody out there is wrong but raising some questions that I think is always good to ask ourselves.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BBDe...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRShW...eature=related
    Last edited by Hendrik; 10-19-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Great clips Hendrik, it's about the journey, no stopping starting, just doing. the journey itself is the magical part. and there is no replacement for that. but as you mentioned, I feel there needs to be a reference point. we can't just start doing the forms over and over and over without being aware of what we're trying to achieve. i.e. doing YJKYM with excessive clamping, etc...that's a form of doing, but not doing it the right way.

we can't master it or know it from speculating about it on the boards as Robert and others mentioned. i certainly believe that. there's theory and then there's application. my interest was in hearing what everybody understands this to be, because it seems to be something overlooked in my experience.

it's like Hendrik mentioned, you can drive a car without knowing how it works, engine wise, suspension, etc. but i'm interested in knowing how it works and that's why i appreciate everybody's input. my own understanding of the wing chun body follows the concepts that I mentioned and in my lineage, the training and drills emphasize the body's natural dynamics. but i wanted to see if we could take things a little deeper and get into the details.
    Last edited by theo; 10-19-2010 at 11:54 PM.

take out the trash!
    Last edited by theo; 10-20-2010 at 12:01 AM.

Hendrik, I'm interested and would like to attend. However I can't make it in time because I'm out of the country for work at the moment. I know you've got other things to do, but is there any chance I could drop by on a different date? I've got family in southern California and will likely visit them later this year. I could work around your schedule if you're going to be traveling or tied up with other things. Please let me know if this is possible!

Hendrik, I'm interested and would like to attend. However I can't make it in time because I'm out of the country for work at the moment. I know you've got other things to do, but is there any chance I could drop by on a different date? I've got family in southern California and will likely visit them later this year. I could work around your schedule if you're going to be traveling or tied up with other things. Please let me know if this is possible!
    Ok. let me know.

Anyone else interested in meet this satuday and bring a Video camera and post the clip in Youtube?

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Ok. let me know.

Anyone else interested in meet this satuday and bring a Video camera and post the clip in Youtube?
    will do!

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Terence, in a way, is absolutely correct. Its all BS - with artificial labels given to movement in a moment in time. But real movement is oneness.

A lotta hot air given to describe what is fundamentally alive and moving and changing.
    Just reading through this and was going to say something similar - it's BS in that it's all one energy, one "engine of interaction". Those are just lables to split up and codify (artificially isolate) individual interactions during that interaction for training purposes for students who need that. The one energy is simply a continuity of energy, which relies on said continuous and alive connection to stay a part of it and interact. Though if you have no idea what you're actually touching when you make contact, establishing a kiu with, and interacting with, and instead are thinking of things in terms of limbs, all this will just go over someone's head.
    Marty
    "The Evil Chu's"
    Watchful Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by martyg View Post
    Just reading through this and was going to say something similar - it's BS in that it's all one energy, one "engine of interaction". Those are just lables to split up and codify (artificially isolate) individual interactions during that interaction for training purposes for students who need that. The one energy is simply a continuity of energy, which relies on said continuous and alive connection to stay a part of it and interact. Though if you have no idea what you're actually touching when you make contact, establishing a kiu with, and interacting with, and instead are thinking of things in terms of limbs, all this will just go over someone's head.
    perhaps most of us started out thinking of things in terms of limbs, but eventually as one progresses, it becomes about the flow, which is shapeless and alive, changing.

perhaps most of us started out thinking of things in terms of limbs, but eventually as one progresses, it becomes about the flow, which is shapeless and alive, changing.
    Wasn't referring to "flow" either.
    Marty
    "The Evil Chu's"
    Watchful Dragon