Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you a Fighter?

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I'm a lover, not a fighter.
    I know! what's with all the hotties wooing you constantly on your facebook!?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

a male lion only has to roar

however, the female lion has to hunt for the meals for the whole family.

--

let the firefighter do the fire fighting

let the soldier do the firefight

let the pro wrestler, boxer,-- do the fight in the ring

--

the rest of us are only amateurs

we do not do the fights as a profession, do we?

a friendly spar, swordfight and staff fight on the weekend

so in a way, I am only a weekend "warrior".

---

What is the definition of a fighter...

merriam-webster Definition of FIGHTER
    : one that fights: as a (1) : warrior, soldier (2) : a pugnacious or game individual (3) : 1boxer 1

freedictionary's definition is
    1. One who fights, such as a soldier or boxer.
    2. A fast, maneuverable combat aircraft used to engage enemy aircraft.
    3. A pugnacious, unyielding, or determined person.

So, technically everybody here is a "fighter" to a certain extent.

Maybe you are not a professional fighter, maybe you are not a soldier... maybe you are a determined person (you won't make far in MA unless you are, even if you are not that good).

I have competed in full contact, continous sparring, san shou, and point sparring; I also have had to defend myself in street fights in the past; I was in the military for 6 years, been in combat, and had to use hand to hand combat and martial arts in a real combat situations (also got a couple of bullet scars and knife wounds to show for it)... but I still don't consider myself a "fighter".

Do I still spar? Of course, it keeps the reflexes sharp.
    Do I watch my back when on the streets? Of course, it would idiotic not to do so.
    Do I believe I can kick anyone's arse? Not really, but I can kill you very easily (it's what I have been trained to do)

Anyway, those are my 2 cents (or maybe 10 cents...lol) on the subject.

-Tom

Blog Entries
    Not really, but I can kill you very easily (it's what I have been trained to do)
    But Some folks will try to ask you for video proof of this or you are just another pathetic fantasy fighter. LMAO
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    Just had a similiar discussion in another forum. Is combat truly that important in CMA training? CMA is like the chess game. It's 2 persons art and not solo art. It will be boring that you have learned how to play chess and never have chance to play with anybody. Health, fun, and combat skill are the 3 reasons for people to train. When you remove fighting, not only you have removed the combat skill portion, you have also removed the fun part. When your friend come to visit you, your throw him a SC jacket (or boxing glove) and wrestle (or spar) for 15 rounds. Both you and your friend are so tired and lie down on the ground laughting, that will be very good and fun life to live.

The 1st time that you pull out a move successfully on your opponent, you will smile in your dream for the next 3 days. Where else can you find this kind of fun on earth?

http://johnswang.com/sc_for_fun.wmv
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-21-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i havent seen any acrobatic stuff in traditional changquan other than the tornado kick and thats easy as hell. clf i did some also, ng lum choi, ping kuen, tai kuen da siu muifa. i dont see whats hard about it. i could do backflips as a kid my uncle made me do it it was easy what is your point?

i remember my friend showed me a long meihuatanglang form i learned it in 1 hour. whats so hard about forms for you?
    i took some shotokan karate i learned naihanchi basai meikyo kankudai empi. its all pretty easy.
    shaolin xiaohong dahong erluhong my uncle showed me it was pretty simple. qixingquan and xiao luohan i learned also. i dont see how theyre hard.

i find working at rays chinese takeout 10 times harder than training forms.
    Gotta Admit!

God I HOPE that I'm a fighter.

I fight at the lowest rung of the amateur levels, so nothing to be proud of.

And I know how much I suck and need to improve, so there's that.

But I spar about 4-5 times a week (4-6 per training session) and I'm training a lot so I hope that qualifies me.

As for my abilities I'm don't like to talk myself up or act tough. Skills in the ring are the only thing that matters.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    But Some folks will try to ask you for video proof of this or you are just another pathetic fantasy fighter. LMAO
    I can show you ... but I have to kill you (afterwards)...LOL
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

Blog Entries
    I can show you ... but I have to kill you (afterwards)...LOL
    promise?
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

nope, dont wanna.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I've always been a fighter. I'm done with it, though.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

i wanted to compete largely in striking competitons but luckily for me i collapsed on the floor one night and seized and few days later found out i had epilepsy

still would like to do grappling stuff i guess even though its not my cup of tea its all thatsleft since i cant be punched in the noggin

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Your candor and naked chick photos make you such a likable fellow.

The practice, learning, teaching, writing, discussing, filming or drawing of martial art consumes the better part of my day, every day, now and for as long as I can remember. Since you asked I am not a fighter, yet I practice violence so that I can avoid being victimized by violent people. I have fought many times to protect my life, feed my ego, compete as a sportsman, to promote martial art and in the service of career and country.

Since I attempt to consider deeply, apply subtly, act artfully in my learnings, my practices, my seminations I consider myself a martial artist.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Since it gets asked a lot and gets thrown around a lot:

Are you a fighter?
    If yes, why and what kind.
    If No, why not?

I will start:
    I am NOT a fighter anymore, I used to be when I was younger and competed regularly ie: fought regularly, but I retired in 2000 when I got Married ( though I did do my last Vale Tudo about a year after that without my wife knowing).
    I do NOT fight on a regular basis anymore and though I train anywhere from 3 to 5 times a week, I do NOT spar on a regular basis either so I do NOT feel that I am a "trained fighter" anymore.
    Do I still know how to fight? Yes, 100%.
    Can I still fight? Yes, 100%
    In my opinion however, knowing and being able to fight does not make one a fighter in the truest MA sense of the word, one most FIGHT on a regular basis to be called a fighter.
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 10-22-2010 at 03:01 AM.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Your candor and naked chick photos make you such a likable fellow.

The practice, learning, teaching, writing, discussing, filming or drawing of martial art consumes the better part of my day, every day, now and for as long as I can remember. Since you asked I am not a fighter, yet I practice violence so that I can avoid being victimized by violent people. I have fought many times to protect my life, feed my ego, compete as a sportsman, to promote martial art and in then service of career and country.

Since I attempt to consider deeply, apply subtly, act artfully in my learnings, my practices, my seminations I consider myself a martial artist.
    a very honest reply,

thanks
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    my east coast tai chi friend basically stands and looks smug for 2 hours and he gets paid.

thats funny sh!t...!