Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FOR THE TEACHERS: for how much are you willing to give up your knowledge?

Blog Entries

FOR THE TEACHERS: for how much are you willing to give up your knowledge?

In light of the other thread, from a teacher's perspective, what's a reasonable amount you are willing to charge a student for you time, knowledge, and effort in teaching your system?

In some cases a teacher has more than just a TEACHER role to play. He or she can be a psychiatrist, baby sitter, and problem solver amonst other things.

So how much is teaching worth to you?
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Been trying to give it away for free, and it's still a struggle.

Anybody looking for daddy can beat it.

No kids whatsoever, get them day care or babysit them yourself.

If you can't consistently remember what was shown in the last session, after a while that wears thin, so beat it, you're wasting your time and mine.

I don't exchange with many guys because of this and I might get one student a year with this.

But the quality of the relationships are great and the sessions always go great.

I can't be bothered with making a public offering because I won't subject myself to anyone else's desires for money when it comes to Kung Fu. IE: soccer moms demanding belts or recognition for their special one. lol or parents who drop off their lazy kids who maintain that lazy in a class or adults that display poor social development issues.

Only adults with definite determination to learn and share. That's who I have time to share with.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

When I taught before, class was 30 bucks a month for 2 days a week.

When I open my new school in the next few months it will be 5 bucks per class or 25 bucks per month, 2 days a week.

Most of you probably think that is dirt cheap, but in the area I live in, the economy is not good and that is pretty much what is charged, although my rates are a bit cheaper. It also helps that I own the building and have pretty much no overhead.

I look at my Kung Fu from this standpoint, if someone has the will and desire to learn, I will teach them. I am not their babysitter, psychiatrist (I wish I could charge those rates) or anything else. I do consider myself a friend and a coach/instructor, nothing more, nothing less.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

iron eagle you are a man with honor. u teach cheep and help community u follow the way of manlines
    will u adopt me as your brother we wrestle no cloth

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    iron eagle you are a man with honor. u teach cheep and help community u follow the way of manlines
    will u adopt me as your brother we wrestle no cloth
    I adopt you as my chosen disciple, but first, you must seek out the unrightoues KFMers who overcharge students, talk about poltics too much, and dishonor the chinese language by having 8 year old children butcher it. Find these infidels, and give them chinese water torture. Than you will be the chosen one, but no naked wrestling.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

I charge $85.00 per month for 6-8 hours of instruction a month.

I have rent to pay for the space we train in. Rent in Boston is not cheap.

I also need insurance in case someone gets injured, again these policies are not cheap.

My Baguazhang classes are usually an hour long and I stick around and help students who want to practice on their own.

Class time is mainly for instruction and correction, not so much for training IMHO.

Training is what you need to do the rest of the week, and if a student could not be bothered, then so be it.

I gave up trying to teach those who were not interested. I give those who want it what they seek.

I have lots of people who come visit for private lessons in Iron Palm, Iron Vest, and other material they are seeking.

They usually are the ones hungry enough for the knowledge.

I am lucky that I have a core group of students who are very serious and train all the time.

I only wish I had more of them. Nothing wrong with a group of people who are serious about training.

For all of you who think people should teach for free, please stop and take a long hard look at reality.

I need to pay my bills, rent, just like the rest of us. I understand that many people are not doing well in this economy. Hence I do not charge much for my instruction. Most Mcdojo Karate schools charge over 100.00 per month.

I am going to be in debt for $100,000 after I am done with my Masters Degree in Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine. I would not have done this unless I really have the desire to help people who are in need of it using Acupuncture and herbal medicine.

I find nothing wrong with making money on something that I love, and love to teach.

I drive a Honda Civic, not a Lexus.

I rent and do not own.

I have no contracts and never will.

My rate for private lessons is $60.00 per hour.

Much cheaper than so called masters who demand sycophantic like worship as well as demanding ridiculous amounts of money for questionable skills/material.

Anyone who has come to train with me or have business dealings with me knows that I hold nothing back and take care of all who care to train with me or buy my herbal medicines.

Too bad there are so many idiots out there who ruin it for the real teachers.
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 10-28-2010 at 05:40 AM.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

ok i give them special chinese water torture in my pants
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    no naked wrestling.
    why not

to me teaching kung fu for money is like charging peopel to go to church like scientologists
    instead of becoming better people people develop this star trek convention mentality because of this.
    also the reason kung fu teachers make their stuff overcomplicated is to justify teaching it for money.
    Last edited by bawang; 10-28-2010 at 05:54 AM.

my knowledge, is worth $5 dollars and a blowjob.

not from bawang tho.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

i no have gay u have gay
    gay guy

u have long hair like womans.

all the money i make from teaching goes right back into the school. i.e rent bills equipment, MMA octagon (newly purchassed).

Becuse of this i am allowed to be strict and not give people a false sense of acompliments, like so many other schools do.
    In our scholl if you dont have it you keep doing it till you do have it. I have 3 students who have been with me for over 13, 12, and 11 years who are not yet shifu's.

When you are looking to make a living teaching MA then you are forced into thinks like you gotta lighten up, water down, teach 5 year olds and pass the students to the next level whether they are ready for it or not.
    i am truely blessed that i do not have to do any of these and the rent is still paid and the lights are on.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    In our scholl if you dont have it you keep doing it till you do have it. I have 3 students who have been with me for over 13, 12, and 11 years who are not yet shifu's.
    why havent you expelled them yet

this is why kung fu academies arent real academies.

I used to teach when I was part of a school.
    I don't teach anymore and not sure if I ever will.
    My MA is to awesome and deadly !
    And:
    " You are NOT a Tanaka !! Our family Martial art is passed down from father to son, from father to son *tear rolls down eye* !"
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    all the money i make from teaching goes right back into the school. i.e rent bills equipment, MMA octagon (newly purchassed).

Becuse of this i am allowed to be strict and not give people a false sense of acompliments, like so many other schools do.

When you are looking to make a living teaching MA then you are forced into thinks like you gotta lighten up, water down, teach 5 year olds and pass the students to the next level whether they are ready for it or not.
    i am truely blessed that i do not have to do any of these and the rent is still paid and the lights are on.

I agree with you 100%.

I will never teach kids, nor will I rank someone who does not deserve it.

I am my teachers student, and follow his example.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

dale
    I agree with you 100%.

I will never teach kids, nor will I rank someone who does not deserve it.

I am my teachers student, and follow his example.
    this is soooooo refreshing to hear Dale.
    I am currently teaching 5 black belts that have so called earned thier black belts from other schools
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."