bak mei video

I liked this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnsXP2v1iIs#t=61

one of you guys?

Other Bak Mei people wanna comment?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

look closely

rubber legs

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    look closely

rubber legs
    I still like it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Yeah Alex posts here on occasion, I like his stuff some of the better bakmei out there on the net, he has some nice power but as always when you are showing applications from forms it can be a bit contrived. I didn't see too much wrong with his stances and footwork to be honest

In all fairness, different terrain causes different things to happen with your footwork.

A squash court is totally different from a concrete driveway is totally different from a grass field and so on.

To that end, the only issue I saw was the shoes were gripping and sometime sliding a little. Otherwise, yes, the applications are contrived, but in this vid, they're not too bad and he made a real effort to show the apps as they were.

hence, I still like it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Very little overlap with how I use my Pak Mei.
    -Golden Arms-

I only watched it once, but I saw a few decent applications... at least he HAD applicatons
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    Very little overlap with how I use my Pak Mei.
    maybe you would like to share how your lineage does it, or is that still a secret you can only talk about in vague therms and not show.....

All a decent fighter has to do is compare what you see in the video with a good boxer and you will see a lot of realities of fighting that are missing.

For starters:

Stepping that does not put one at high risk of being swept.
    Natural movement
    Efficient footwork that puts one at an advantage and the opponent at a disadvantage
    Slipping
    Appropriate range
    You are protected, the opponent is not (dominant position)

Are you saying you see that there?

I spent quite a bit of time fighting full contact, I wouldn't pick or practice a style that didn't match up with the realities of fighting skilled opponents.
    Last edited by Golden Arms; 11-13-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    -Golden Arms-

By the way, I feel those requirement should be leveled at all Chinese Martial Arts, not just the practitioner in the video, I certainly hold my own practice to the same standard. Martial arts that are divorced from the realities of fighting are of little interest to me regardless of the style.
    -Golden Arms-

By the way, I feel those requirement should be leveled at all Chinese Martial Arts, not just the practitioner in the video, I certainly hold my own practice to the same standard. Martial arts that are divorced from the realities of fighting are of little interest to me regardless of the style.
    This is a statement that is rolling off the tongues of many a practitioner these days it seems.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

well, in my thinking, and you may all be surprised

you have two sets of applications

what he is showing is what was in the "mind" when the set was created, ie techniques that CMA people were using in China 100 years or so ago

then of course there is a way to interpret these same movements to be applicable to modern fighting circumstances

but to fault him for showing one thing but not the other may not be "fair"

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    well, in my thinking, and you may all be surprised

you have two sets of applications

what he is showing is what was in the "mind" when the set was created, ie techniques that CMA people were using in China 100 years or so ago

then of course there is a way to interpret these same movements to be applicable to modern fighting circumstances

but to fault him for showing one thing but not the other may not be "fair"
    Sorry I don't agree. The requirements for fighting bare knuckle were the same 200 years ago as they would be today. You either train it or you don't.

Last edited by Golden Arms; 11-13-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    -Golden Arms-

Sorry I don't agree. The requirements for fighting bare knuckle were the same 200 years ago as they would be today. You either train it or you don't.

aside from the fact the pictures you just posted only have passing similarities, bare knuckle boxing did not have bridging, trapping and chin na concepts....

Blog Entries
    Stepping that does not put one at high risk of being swept.
    This is very important point. You should always land your leading foot "in front of" your opponent's leading foot. You should never put your leading foot "next" or "pass" your opponent's leading foot (he can scoop you).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq5x...ature=youtu.be

unless you want to step deeply between your opponent's legs and take away his center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWDl...ature=youtu.be
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument