Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Lama Pai, Hop Gar, Bak Hok

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    NOTE
    This is done at "walk through" speed, just to record the set

To me, it is very classic CTS verson Lama Pai, others have said it looks a lot like CLF...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Z8Gpq-RUY
    I had seen it before and I am no CLF expert at all but honestly I can't see much resemblance to CLF in there.
    As you said, it's very classic Lama and it looks really familiar as very similar to the Pak Hok we practice.

Nice endeed

Does anyone have information on Kingston Ku from this article, The Deadly Fighting Principles of White Crane Kung Fu?:

http://books.google.com/books?id=bNI...page&q&f=false

The name is new to me and a quick Google search turns up nothing. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by madhusudan View Post
    Does anyone have information on Kingston Ku from this article, The Deadly Fighting Principles of White Crane Kung Fu?:

http://books.google.com/books?id=bNI...page&q&f=false

LOL, scroll down a few pages to the martial merchandise add..They have Bruce Lee movies for $ 59.99 on VHS. that's ****ed!

Quote Originally Posted by madhusudan View Post

I remember reading that article when it came out. Never heard anything more about him.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Hey guys, I was wondering how much does the mui fah jeong play into the training of these styles? The reason I ask is that at my school, David Chin being my sifu, we train forms and footwork on the mui fah, then I see some lama people do the needle in cotton (name? sorry) on the mui fah. I was wondering what the benefit is of this.

Hope all is well,
    Will

My sifu put some posts arranged in the plum flower pattern, he told me, kind of like the "5" on a dice, and was doing some form on the posts...i should ask him what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by SKM View Post
    Hello Will and welcome to the forum Sifu Chin is first cousin to my Sifu who has passed in the 90's. Greetings to you and all the Hop Gar brothers in SC. When I learned Cotton Needle, I was told that the postures drop the center to the ground and when you do the Cotton Needle on the stumps, the center stays on the ground amplifying the effect, so that when you do Cotton Needle on the ground, after having done it on the stumps, the net effect is that your center will be literally in the ground for however many feet you have trained on the stumps. The stumps act as an amplifier of grounding technique. Hope this helps explain it.

On another note. I went to your youtube channel and OMG what a voice. I was also reading your voice coach's curriculum vitae and my goodness what a repertoire'. He has explored his full voice range. I encourage anyone who reads this post to check out Will's youtube channel.

Will's youtube channel here
    Huh...thats actually really cool. In my sifus hop gar system we don't have that form. What we do up on the forms is train the kay men bo and the white crane striking, more commonly known as seven star continuous striking. The whole body elimination thing is trained up there as well.

Wow...you are very kind...hahaha all I can say is anything can help. My voice teacher is HIGHLY underrated and needs much more recognition. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by crazedjustice88 View Post
    Hey guys, I was wondering how much does the mui fah jeong play into the training of these styles?
    All the lama schools have stories about this, if not exactly the same methods. In my tradition we start with Mui Fa Johng on 5 posts in a quincunx pattern (like the 5 spots on a gaming die) then move on to a slightly more elaborate take on the same form, Dai Johng Muih Fa, with a nine-post pattern. This is completely different from the fourteen-post needle-in-cotton posts.

The ability to jump up onto the posts is a difficult skill to achieve in itself. After becoming adept at the footwork the posts were gradually pared to a smaller diameter with a spokeshave until the tops were only a few inches in diameter. The problem with this sort of skill, according to my sifu, is that your steps become so habitual it is hard to vary your footwork--steps will always tend to be the same distance.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    All the lama schools have stories about this, if not exactly the same methods. In my tradition we start with Mui Fa Johng on 5 posts in a quincunx pattern (like the 5 spots on a gaming die) then move on to a slightly more elaborate take on the same form, Dai Johng Muih Fa, with a nine-post pattern. This is completely different from the fourteen-post needle-in-cotton posts.

The ability to jump up onto the posts is a difficult skill to achieve in itself. After becoming adept at the footwork the posts were gradually pared to a smaller diameter with a spokeshave until the tops were only a few inches in diameter. The problem with this sort of skill, according to my sifu, is that your steps become so habitual it is hard to vary your footwork--steps will always tend to be the same distance.
    Thats some interesting stuff. We have different mui fah patterns as well...not to far though to actually know them.

Hahahaha we just use a step up to them hahahaha The way we work it is that hardwiring these steps isn't bad, as long as you learn the different angles and the like. Hard to explain though, but it makes sense when fighting hahahaha

a we just use a step up to them
    That seems to be the norm nowadays. But it used to be a display of skill, like getting back onto a lei tai after being knocked off. Try this: the jong should be taller than head height and you jump up to cap the top with your hands, then pull yourself up as if leapfrogging the post but land on your feet. The balancing is easy compared to the mount. I was always afraid I would overshoot and break my neck. Instead, I lost some chin skin by not being committed to the vault. It's a cruel and unforgiving training partner...but then you get the bragging rights. A manly display of strength. That's what kung fu is about, no?

ah thats a nice solution.

The highest I was able to jump up was chest height but today waist height is what I maintain. the old back is giving out these days

Mostly I do the patterns on 2' heigh and 4" wide post .

its nice to see a resurgence in this type of training even if its mostly being done by Lion Dance Teams

this clip brings back funny memories and scars
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h82qJYVZBro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxz6Bt80zuc

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    In my sifus hop gar system we don't have that form. What we do up on the forms is train the kay men bo and the white crane striking, more commonly known as seven star continuous striking. The whole body elimination thing is trained up there as well.

could you possibly post (haha no pun intended) examples of this?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    could you possibly post (haha no pun intended) examples of this?
    Clever...hahahaha yeah, my sihing has some videos posted.

Beginner level pattern

Thats all that is posted that actually shows footwork up on the posts.

Jdhowland:

I understand, but thats just a whole nother thing pretty much.
    Last edited by crazedjustice88; 06-26-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SKM View Post
    I just read on facebook that Master Chan Hak Fu of the White Crane tradition passed away on July 27 in Macau. May he rest in peace. Ho Si Gung!
    I hope that's not true, but if it is, condolences to the families and students

This may be of interest if you haven't seen it yet. Sifu Mckee Quan of Bak Hok:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtI28PPFa5o