Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Lama Pai, Hop Gar, Bak Hok

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    in other words: "If u r a mean-tempered, bad-asz MF'er, u will b an effective fighter regardless of what u hav studied."
    I think that pretty much sums him up; that and "Guns r better than gung-fu when fighting more than one person."
    B4 ur time, but when I first met CTS he had explosives in a briefcase he carried with him. Of course, in your time he carried those combat steel butterfly knives with him, IE he was a kung fu boyscout, always prepared
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

in other words: "If u r a mean-tempered, bad-asz MF'er, u will b an effective fighter regardless of what u hav studied."
    I think that pretty much sums him up; that and "Guns r better than gung-fu when fighting more than one person."
    That is true kung fu and it is very strong !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The old man was something else. He used to wear a whip chain as his belt.

I miss him.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    The old man was something else. He used to wear a whip chain as his belt.

I miss him.
    you realize, when we're older, people will be talking about us the same way.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I think that this is the key point - and in a way, one we missed to some degree early on when we'd argue about who got the "correct" version of something or some such - as you say, it's not so much the sequence as it is the particular set of principles;
    Yeh,.... I've had similar experiences; I studied with my Si-baht, Ron Dong for a time (he did the technique demos in Mike Staples White Crane book), and most off his students at the time were ragging on my training brother and myself about how we did our sets wrong,.... course, none of them had been doing White Crane for nearly as long as we had, none of them had access to all of the sets that Chan Hak-fu had passed to our sifu,....and (really, of any real importance) none of them could friggin' fight! The thing is, Ron and the few of his old-school students that had been around to learn directly from George Long like my sifu and Ron had, knew my sifu and sihings 'pedigree' and abilities. It didn't take Ron long to determine what my abilities were; consequently, he didn't waste time trying to change moves in sets with me, but in working on my fighting ability: techiques, application variations, timing/distance, and combat strategy. Something else a bit funny,..... someone mentioned Bryant Fong? My Sihing was on the SF wushu team during the mid-late 80's/early 90's during the 'wushu hey-day.' Bryant used to give my si-hing **** about his White Crane at the time too,.... which is ironic, cause Bryant was already drinking the 'wushu-is-the-future-of-chinese-martial-arts' koolaid by that time.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I already talk about you that way!

We are rapidly becoming the old generation, dude.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Nah, they'll be saying that old **** was a pain in the ass! He tortured me!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Nah, they'll be saying that old **** was a pain in the ass! He tortured me!
    well yeah, we have said that about you...There was always the meeting before a "Robert Chu Seminar," where the noobs had to be primed:
    "Never, NEVER ask anything like, "Are you sure that technique really works?"
    (sigh) ahh...the good ol'days....
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

One of my friends told me Robert Chu threw him about 5 feet backwards with a rising bong sao (or something like that).

Made me laugh pretty hard.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Most of what is thought of as 'basic", "intermediate" and 'advanced" are stupid distinctions based on selling moves/sets.
    There is another side to this. Sometimes it is just the way your teacher teaches. Sometimes it is just the best way to package the information, the easiest way for you to learn it.

If you have not learned Algebra, it would not be the best approach to jump right in to something like Applied Trig.

However the material you presented ... I could see your point about that kind of division.

Quote Originally Posted by Gru Bianca View Post
    I think they call that fat hope....
    That depends on who your teachers are and your own effort. Not hope, just hard work, and knowledgeable teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    That's right. His nephew, Bryant, helped to popularize modern wushu in the SF Bay area.
    He switch from Chen? At one time I had planned to join another organization but he had talked me out of it so I am still in PH.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    I agree with Dave, forms are not meant to be learned just to learn the form but the principles within the forms are much more important.

If students can extrapolate the concepts/principles, so much the better. But some people have a tough time with this.
    You are right, the purpose of the forms are to introduce you to (1) a few new techniques, (2) new ways of executing old techniques, (3) review, (4) to challenge your memory, .....

If you want to be a fighter than the forms only point a way ....

If you want to be an artist than the forms not only point a way, they give you a masterpiece to train coping, .... until you are the expert, the master of your own house, the artist.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesDaCosta View Post
    That depends on who your teachers are and your own effort. Not hope, just hard work, and knowledgeable teachers.
    That's correct, that's why I said fat hope,....cause there are no more knowledgeable teachers that know the entire system already...... only if lucky a couple of them....
    Not talking about the quality some more......

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Gru Bianca View Post
    That's correct, that's why I said fat hope,....cause there are no more knowledgeable teachers that know the entire system already...... only if lucky a couple of them....
    Not talking about the quality some more......

Merry Christmas
    OK, I do understand your problem. But for me it is just a lot of hard work.