Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lama Pai, Hop Gar, Bak Hok

Lama Pai, Hop Gar, Bak Hok

For those of you with training in the systems of Kung Fu derived from the "Tibetan Lion's Roar" system, if you could choose only 3 empty-hand fist sets which exemplified your system, which 3 would you choose (which do you consider to be the most "essential", and why)?
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

1. Luhk Lehk Kyuhn--done as partner drills, not line drills. It has the basics.

2. White Crane Lohan Kyuhn--basic and powerful. Iron Chain has more techniques and Ting Gong Kyuhn is more complex and interesting but I'd have to go with lhk for it's emphasis on simple, brutal combat ideas.

3. Haahp Ga "number one" -- Our sifu didn't give it a name but it was the first set he learned from Ng Yim Ming. Lots of grappling. Lots of fast short power moves. Compliments the White Crane nicely. As a catalog of techniques I would choose our 5th hg set which is much longer and very complex, but #1 could be a system in itself.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

chyuun pao kup.

Quote Originally Posted by htowndragon View Post
    chyuun pao kup.
    there's a form called chuan pao kup?

or are you referring to the three techniques?
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    there's a form called chuan pao kup?

or are you referring to the three techniques?
    Knowing htdragon, I think in his minimalist way he is reminding us that you don't need the kyuhn forms to practice lama style.

Like gwa, sau, chaap, there are countless ways to apply the basics.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Thanks! Yeah I realize that fist sets aren't necessarily needed to learn and become skillful in an art, but I do like the classical forms for a variety of reasons. Hopefully some more people will give their opinions as to which sets are the most "essential" or useful. Keep it coming!
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Luk Lek Kuen (partnered drilling for the basics), Chuat Yap Bo (all technique combinations,.... although Iron Chain's not bad either), and Gim Gongs for evasiveness.

chuan pao kup, gua sau charp....

i'm rather fond of these.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

One problem with a question like this is that different traditions have different versions of forms, even different forms

I could tell you what is important in my tradition, may mean nothing to everyone else
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    One problem with a question like this is that different traditions have different versions of forms, even different forms

I could tell you what is important in my tradition, may mean nothing to everyone else
    That's okay, I understand. I'd still like to hear what you think is important, and even more so, why you find it important, if you're okay with sharing that. These arts are each fascinating systems in their own right and I find them all very interesting. Thanks.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

In Chan Tai San tradition, we'd have to start with "Siu Lo Han" - all the basics and strong hand work, a few kicks, but not many compared to later forms

To include the leg techniques, I'd be sort of torn between "Dai Gam Gong", "Lo Han Teui" or "Lihn Waan teui"

Finally I'd pick "Fu Hok Seung Daau" for the close quarters, elbows and throws

Fortunately, I just do the techniques now, not the forms, so I don't have to chose
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

[QUOTE=lkfmdcFortunately, I just do the techniques now, not the forms, so I don't have to chose [/QUOTE]

Ahh, going back to the old system of training, eh? Renegade! Traditionalist!

Don't you know that by observing the tradition of of training in technique you are contributing to the "classical mess" and ruining decades of improvement in showmanship for the rest of us? Have you not learned by now that the old way of doing things is useless and must be discarded? How can anyone judge you if you do not do sets with long pauses to show off your form?

I'm leaving.

chey ma chey sun is all we did for a few months before adding chin pow kep chui.

we did do alot of conditions of sort with arms and legs.

when chey ma starts to look good 6 power look lek is added.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Fortunately, I just do the techniques now, not the forms, so I don't have to chose
    oh stop being so f*cking sensibe will you!

Quote Originally Posted by once ronin View Post
    chey ma chey sun is all we did for a few months before adding chin pow kep chui.

we did do alot of conditions of sort with arms and legs.

when chey ma starts to look good 6 power look lek is added.
    Wow. Tough school. I only had to do che san for two weeks before adding chyun cheui and started 6power in my second month. A lot of lama schools emphasize conditioning every day. Sounds like good training.