Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lama Pai, Hop Gar, Bak Hok

some excellent info here guys, thnx!
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    You know, the funny thing, really, is that people from my actual tradition clearly see us applying the Lion's Roar technique in our fights and teachings (for example David Chin, David Rogers, etc)
    hmmmm, interesting how EVERYONE is named David...

It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    hmmmm, interesting how EVERYONE is named David...
    "These are the Daves I know, I know. These are the Daves I know..."

Who here is old enough to get that reference?

I'll change my name to David if the Steves will. Y'know, might as well join the club.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post

I'll change my name to David if the Steves will. Y'know, might as well join the club.
    Actually "Steve" is a valid subset name for studying Lama w CTS...

We are all Dave, we have all been assimilated into the one Dave

(or, alternately, "Dave's not here man")
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post

"...some of them are Davids but most of them are Daves, we all have the same name but come from different moms..."
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Actually "Steve" is a valid subset name for studying Lama w CTS...
    That's who I had in mind. Maybe, since I'm not a CTS student or in the Dang lineage I should not presume to Steverage or to become one with the Dave.

I have Kwan/Quentin and Quintin in my lineage. I'll change my name to Quint.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    "...some of them are Davids but most of them are Daves, we all have the same name but come from different moms..."
    You got it!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Our punches tend to be longer range than traditional boxing. We use a different energy ("ging"). We throw them at different angles, and with different footwork.

HOWEVER, I believe that the other hand MUST protect the face/jaw/chin so you will NOT see the "flailing"
    Very similar to how we train as well. The long arm strikes are more extended, to develop the power generation and alignments, but in practice the chin is guarded.
    Beginners get a bit confused, but it all comes together in time.
    Funny..people have asked me if we do Hop-Ga or Choy Li Fut.....
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post

people have asked me if we do Hop-Ga or Choy Li Fut.....
    well, the answer is "yes", because you do
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    well, the answer is "yes", because you do
    pretty much on point.
    The element punches in Hung-Ga come directly from Hop-Ga through Wong Yun-Lum. Some say WYL also influenced CLF. I agree. With all the challenge fights he had, I am in no doubt.
    Couple that with the fact that my previous teachers did CLF, (one Sifu actually wanted me to teach CLF rather than Hung-Ga...)as did their teachers..and that my Si-Hing teaches CLF..you could say that my Hung-Ga is heavily flavored with CLF.
    My brother, David Rogers has also had a strong influence...he has always been very generous in sharing his Hop-Ga with me.
    So, yeah...I'm a mutt.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

[QUOTE=TenTigers:So, yeah...I'm a mutt.[/QUOTE]

The best of breeds.

Does this mean Fu Hok Seuhng Ying gets added to the list?

There aren't many lama stylists on board so this thread will fizzle out pretty soon.
    Since I really like the subject I'll cheat and throw in an "honorable mention:"

Hop Ga's Dai Johng Mui Fa. Not essential technique-wise although it does add more footwork than is found in the typical line drills. But a huge part of the system is strengthening and conditioning and this is a good example. Beginners learn this on the floor with no equipment. Later you add the plum flower stakes (this one is done on a pattern of nine posts). Full tilt boogie is to do this with heavy wooden weights, the muhk yih pai.

Be well, Quint

look at youtube, my classmates have put up videos of hop gar's dan mui form