Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Lama Pai, Hop Gar, Bak Hok

CLF and Lama connection

One thing we do know for sure is that around "that time" (These styles were famous) the key players actually used each others techniques, and this was to a large extent. Therefore it would not matter if L and CLF came from the same system. They had merged on numerous points thus making them appear to be the same style to the untrained eye.

I had spoke with a key player in PH. He told me my stances were too high. They should be more like Hung Gar stances. HG I thought ... how could this be, the Lama's system should have been a Chan Quan style. After all, it was supposed to have come from the north and our principles seem more northern ...

Well, do others agree that LS stance work should be more like HG then CQ?
    Last edited by CharlesDaCosta; 12-06-2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: clearification

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    chut yap bo, because it has long range, short range, turning, spinning, oh, and cause it's the only set I know...
    Chut yap bo is my favorite too, simply because it has the widest range of techniques. And it could be done light, shooting, or powerful. What I wish is that there is a routine that has all or most of the PH techniques in it.

Sometimes, the idea of infinite possibilities is not a good thing. Sometimes it is better to have a box big enough to fit everything in it, one that make it seem manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gru Bianca View Post
    In the book of the temple that I have there is mentioned a story of a certain Shen long which it is said to be born from a Zhong Family in Panyu (Guangzhou) and to be a "Shaolin" master.. The story of this person's identity is true as it is taken from an official record, however the characteres used for his name are of a different variation compared to the mostly seen in the story of the style.

In my limited experience I'd say all the Kam Gong and Lo Hon sets and of course Min Loy Cham done contractually to "another set" to boost a certain type of energy.
    For power development surely the Siji Hou lek.

Regards
    Luca
    I do know that some Tibetan schools had close dealings with the Shaolin Temple (they were the same school of thought). I have even herd of Tibetans being Abots at shaolin during different times. I also know that the term Lama does not have to mean a Tibetan Buddhist. I met Vietnamese Chinese who told me that the term means High Monk, usually a leader, not necessarily a Tibetan Buddhist.

What is Siji Hou lek?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    does anyone know that book by George Parulski? He demonstrates a Tibetan White Crane form, but I have never seen it before. Anyone have any idea which form he is demonstrating?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

The word Lama is a Tibetan word.It is a contraction of la na mei pa wich means "nothing higher" it is a translation of the sanscrit word guru.
    First smooth,then fast.
    Smooth is fast.

Sing Long

Whether Singlong was really of Tibetan origin or was Chinese doesn't really matter that much, however in order to have more tangible proof that the three systems Lama, Pak Hok and Hop Gar are really originated from the Siji hou and that the last was really of Tibetan origin it would have helped to know more about him and where he was from.

Sing Lung likely was NOT tibetan in the ethnic sense we think of today, he was from "Tibet" and in that time "tibet" included parts of what is now China such as Qinghai

Considering the stories of him dueling, killing people, beating them, etc he may not have been a "monk" (or he was a very bad one)

The monastery where he lived is a hot bed of martial arts, the entire area is. Several close by monasteries (including where CTS was raised) were also martial arts hot beds

I tend to believe now that most of the southern martial arts were much more incestuous than we have been led to believe or even want to believe
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

does anyone know that book by George Parulski? He demonstrates a Tibetan White Crane form, but I have never seen it before. Anyone have any idea which form he is demonstrating?
    I saw the book once, if that is supposed to be "Tibetan" white crane than I am a blond with big ta tas

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Sing Lung likely was NOT tibetan in the ethnic sense we think of today, he was from "Tibet" and in that time "tibet" included parts of what is now China such as Qinghai

Considering the stories of him dueling, killing people, beating them, etc he may not have been a "monk" (or he was a very bad one)

The monastery where he lived is a hot bed of martial arts, the entire area is. Several close by monasteries (including where CTS was raised) were also martial arts hot beds

I tend to believe now that most of the southern martial arts were much more incestuous than we have been led to believe or even want to believe
    Indeed, they have far more in common then they have different.
    Sure some stuff may seem to be "unique" but once you get out of that "stylistic bubble" you see that is not the case.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I saw the book once, if that is supposed to be "Tibetan" white crane than I am a blond with big ta tas
    I'm picturing that right now...
    Dude, you are hawt!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I'm picturing that right now...
    Dude, you are hawt!
    shouldn't sanjuro jump in now

I am a blond with big ta tas
    I thot that u had pretty much worked out that whole thing in therapy...

I thot that u had pretty much worked out that whole thing in therapy...
    I've told you before, that wasn't me, that was YOU, your other personality, the one that also tried to kill you and ran naked through washington square park

That form (Small Plum Blossom Form) was taken directly from the book "White Crane Kung Fu Volume 1 History and Forms" by Ralph Caputo & James I. Wong which was published by Koinonia back in the 70s or 80s. In fact, everything in Parulski's book was taken from other books. His "Pa Kua" was him copying the Gao Bagua linear sets which Robert Smith demoed in his first book on the subject...
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Ancient Tibet

Not only the region of Qinghai was of Tibetan influence there was also the once called region of Kham which was extended from part of the east sides of Tibet up to a big part of the western side of Sichuan province.
    And funny enough in that very part of the now days Sichuan province there is an area called Xinlong which seems to be quite important for temples of Tibetan Buddhism belonging to the Nyngma tradition.

That aside it would have been interesting to have more info available on him and on where he did learn and from whom as in certain circles it is said that the "Tibetan" label was just a "marketing" strategy.