Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Capoeira

FistOfTheNorthSide Guest

Capoera?

HAve any of you people fought a capoera person? I was watching some perform and I really want a chance to spar one. It was cool and fun to watch but they looked really open and it seemed to me that if you practice not actually conecting with your kicks so much it will be hard to hit when you need to. Any experiences?

Stranger Guest
    As I understand it, some schools are flashy and performance oriented while others produce streamlined effective fighters. (just like kung fu :D ). There is more than one style of capoeira, so it would not be fair to judge them all based on one person's approach. I suggest if you have any questions about the diversity of capoeira and what is out there, post on the "Other Arts" board ATT: TVEBAK. He is familiar with more than one style of capoeira.

I don't get mad.
    I get stabby.

LeiWulong Guest
    I personally have never fought someone else useing capoeira but I have sparred useing it myself. It's not that bad. It is a lot like drunken boxing, not in a technique sense but in theory they are quite simillar. they both rely on unpredictable movments. So when fighting someone who use capoeira stay on your toes.
    And yes there is more than one stle of capoeira, though I couldn't tell you thier names.

P.S.
    It's a hell'uva goodtime using it though.

-Buddha's name be praised-
    Lei

SevenStar Guest
    not all capoeira is that way. I've heard of a style of capoeira that relies on a lot of in fighting and develops proficieny fighting in confined areas. I'll try to find the name of the style.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
    " - nightair

DrunkenMonkey Guest
    brazilian c.ock-beating?

Fingering young ****s will get your fingers achin' for real!

Question Capoeira

My girlfriend is starting Capoeira soon -- anyone have any experience with it? I wonder about the practicality for fighting, but that's not really why she wants to do it (more into dance than kicking a$$).
    Anyhow any insight would be appreciated...

Re: Capoeira

Originally posted by Stone Monkey
    My girlfriend is starting Capoeira soon -- anyone have any experience with it? I wonder about the practicality for fighting, but that's not really why she wants to do it (more into dance than kicking a$$).
    I got into a club, went for about a week, and then had to move far away!

What I saw looked fun, and look great. From a fighting perspective it didn't look to be that effective, but the people doing it were immensely fit, being strong and agile, and that never hurts in a scrap. Plus, I've ended fights before they began by doing something impressive.

Anyway, if I were you I would join. Think of it as an accessory to your martial arts training. And looking cool when you do Capoeira will impress the females faster than looking cool while doing most martial arts. Trust me...

what style of capoeira is it?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Not sure yet - she's going to see a roda this weekend...

I would love to take Capoeira again. My incredibly brief experience was incredibly fun. So anyone know of a place to learn it in the Washington, DC metropolitan area?

Hey Boffo:
    Found this info on the Planet Capoeira forum - not exactly comprehensive, but might be helpful:

Regional: Prof Abutre St. Stephen's Church 1525 Newton Street NW Washington DC 202-332-0396 Angola (Mestre Cobra Mansa) 6906 4th Street Washington, DC

Regional in DC: http://www.chicoteafricano.com

Angola in DC: http://www.capoeira-angola.org

"There is another angola school, which is in fact a satellite school of Mestre Nego Gato, which is run by one of Gato's students. I think the school is technically in MD, or is on the way to MD in DC on Georgia Avenue. Contact me at besouro@rocketmail.com if you need his info."
    -jacaré

Thanks Stone Monkey!

No problem -- let us know how it goes ...

True...

Same goes to go to tournaments and impress the chicks...

but is martial arts to impress others?

i thought it was for your own good nobody else.

well good luck

a guy in school does capoeira, and he tells me CAPOEIRA # 1

i told him oh yeah, let's have a friendly match

basically because is a dance, it has a rythm, so he telegraphs his movements, i caught over & over nicely,

he can do crazy jumps but that's about it, he has no use of his hands.
    Thank You
    ~Teachers open the door, but we must walk through by ourselves~

but is martial arts to impress others?

i thought it was for your own good nobody else.
    Martial arts to impress others? Sure! Why not? I do martial arts for fitness, fun, and to inflate my ego. I don't do it for self-defense anymore. I've realized I don't like to hurt people, and take steps to avoid getting into dangerous situations.

Years ago I did a very self-defense oriented style of martial art. I had a great time and it made me feel big and tough. Now I am older and could care less about my ability to beat people up. I know that the me of 10 years ago could wipe the floor of the me now. But the me of right now can do butterfly kicks and tornado kicks that impresses the heck out of my wife.

The wife might have a master's degree, but when she sees me do the impressive kicks and leaps and stuff, we often end up in the sack.

Yep. I am a simple man with simple needs. Or one might say an honest soul who knows himself quite well.

So for my reasons for doing martial arts, Capoeira rocks!