Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Capoeira

Blog Entries
    Looks like XMA. Totally envious of his video-game-like athletic ability. My guess is that he's going to quit martial arts in a few years. Once you've FELT you've mastered the games you want to play, you get bored.
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

zero punching ability, but DAYUM he's got some athletic ability. As for his style, prolly TKD, but those hook kicks ARE in capoeira. It's called Queixada. the spinning hook or crescent kick is armada. meia lua de frente is a crescent kick.

And yeah, I echo what iron said - WTF was that split he did on the wall?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...069&q=capoeira

there are like three take downs in this one. I saw a rasteira and two others.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

sweet capoera video

where's my beer?

holy crap, samurai has some good body control!

The videos ok, I enjoy more watching people playing the game then just showing off. to me it's sort of like watching a guy hit a bag or shadow box, he might look good, but until you see him get in there then it's hard to say. Of course if you're capable of doing this sort of thing then chances are you're "good" at capoeira, but I'm a larger fan of the malicia of capoeira.

here's a good example of how the acrobatoics can mess up your game:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AOg3JvAjX...elated&search=

the guy in the dark shirt can do all sorts of flips and sort of hang out upside down, but a real capoeirista in my opinion can take a guy like this out quick. He's open almost the whole time and he's not really playing with the other person, he's sort of throwing a trick or two, then kicking in the direction of the other guy, then throwing some more tricks.

just to follow that up, here's a good video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdsyW...elated&search=

these two guys are flying through the air but if you watch there's a lot of malicia and a lot of interaction.

totally changed my view of capoeira

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    i now see that capoeira is the greatest art ever.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Since wookie deleted his capoeira thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd1fg...elated&search=

you can see where several sweeps would be here, but the blatantly obvious takedown is at :38.

This is the miami branch of the same group that's in my city - nacao.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

how often do capoeria guys spar with contact?

just curious, i dont know much about the art.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

this was posted by a capoeirista on fightauthority.com:

When we train we train against other capoeira styles. The funny thing is in capoeira we do a lot of takedowns so we learn to defend against it. We learn the sprawl against somebody shooting for our legs. We also use knees to the head. Against a seasoned fighter we would have to rely on our spontaneity to defend. The good thing is if we do go to the ground we can still strike.

Capoeira is real effective style wise against a stand up striking art. That is because the straight linear kicks like in MT are easy to counter attack. Capoeira uses a lot of leg sweeps. So style wise they match up pretty good. The only problem is the participants. If a MT guy is quicker than the capoeira then it could get ugly real fast

As far as countering locks I have not learned that from my mestre. I have been trying to get him to teach me some Judo but he hasn't had time. My mestre was a judo champion before he started capoeira. He used to teach judo in Brazil! I have met some capoeira mestres who teach joint locking to their students. I guess mestre Bimba taught them to his students too! So the answer to your question would be it depends on the teacher/mestre.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

taken from bigbearacademy.com:

Although Capoeira doesn't focus on destroying the person you play against, it is not rare to see a roda organized that allows sweeping or takedowns.

Although a person can technically trip their partner, capoeiristas often prefer to show the movement without completing it, enforcing their superiority in the roda.

If your opponent cannot dodge your slowest attack, there is no reason to use your fastest. Each attack that comes in gives you a chance to practice an avoidance technique.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    how often do capoeria guys spar with contact?

just curious, i dont know much about the art.
    in the roda they typically don't - it interrupts the flow of the game. If they do, from what I've seen, it's usually takedowns or clinching. However, outside of the roda, guys will spar with you - or at least the ones that I know of will.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

while training of the art was banned, capoeira was associated most commonly with criminals and gangsters.... doesn't that sound similar to things heard about kung fu?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter