Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Capoeira

from the discovery channel's website:

After slavery was abolished, these African slaves joined or formed criminal gangs in the cities of Brazil due to chronic unemployment of the time. Capoeira then became associated with criminal or anti-governmental activities and was banned in 1892.

Capoeira continued to be practiced underground until 1937, when Capoeira was demonstrated in front of the Brazilian president who then allowed the first Capoeira school to be opened. Capoeira has since been recognised as an official national sport, and its popularity spread around the world in the 1970s.

-------------------

Both styles employ feints and other forms of subterfuge, as well as extensive groundwork in the form of sweeps, kicks and even headbutts.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Plus there is the french chausson connection.

golden arhat - the fight was a vale tudo in brazil in 1995. it was mastre hulk (capoeira) vs amaury bitetti (bjj). hulk knocked bitetti out in only 22 seconds.

Antonio "Garra" Santos (Capoeira) versus Jason Canals (Submission): Santos won after Canals dislocated his shoulder
    Last edited by SevenStar; 04-09-2007 at 11:20 AM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

http://www.axecapoeira.com/classes.php?placeID=1 - this school has vale tudo classes.

these are the english lyrics to the song about the hulk vs bitetti:

It was
    It was in the moonlight
    that I saw it happening
    In a freefight with jiu-jitsu
    the capoeirista won
    It was
    It was in the moonlight
    that I saw it happening
    the capoeirista won
    He gave an armada, he gave a rasteira
    a meia lua and a ponteira
    Yet in the first round
    the capoeirista won
    Below the ring
    Mestre Bimba was thrilled
    playing his berimbau
    while we sung
    It was
    It was in the moonlight
    that I saw it happening
    the capoeirista won

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

still thats only like 2 fights right ?

consistency is the key word here
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    golden arhat - the fight was a vale tudo in brazil in 1995. it was mastre hulk (capoeira) vs amaury bitetti (bjj). hulk knocked bitetti out in only 22 seconds.

Antonio "Garra" Santos (Capoeira) versus Jason Canals (Submission): Santos won after Canals dislocated his shoulder
    wow nice, is there any footage of this or was it not recorded?
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I believe Marco Ruas and those Luta Livre/Vale Tudo guys were all Capoeira trained, if they didn't come out of a Gracie school.

see also jean silva

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZljCjwBteM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptgrYpuf8BI
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

just read something else that said marco ruas is a high ranking capoeirista.

one of our purple belts, born and raised in brazil has his background in capoeira.

in UFC 4, one of the alternates was a capoeirista - he lost.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    I believe Marco Ruas and those Luta Livre/Vale Tudo guys were all Capoeira trained, if they didn't come out of a Gracie school.

see also jean silva

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZljCjwBteM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptgrYpuf8BI
    yup. gustavo machado is another one.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    wow nice, is there any footage of this or was it not recorded?
    I'm not sure about the 93 fight, but you can probably find that WVC fight somewhere.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqh6ZjAc1tY

this is footage of mestre hulk fighting. he's actually got a 5-4 record, 4-4 according to sherdog.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

i didnt see alot of capoeira techniques being landed

and this was in 95 ? whats with the whole black and white thing ??
    Last edited by golden arhat; 04-09-2007 at 01:39 PM.
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    i didnt see alot of valetudo techniques being landed

and this was in 95 ? whats with the whole black and white thing ??
    that's not the 1995 fight. he has fights listed between 95 and 2000

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqh6ZjAc1tY

this is footage of mestre hulk fighting. he's actually got a 5-4 record, 4-4 according to sherdog.
    nice fights!

its good to see in action.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lysC...elated&search=

contact is made, several takedowns are shown.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter