Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Information on 5 Animals - Ark Wong's style and ranks

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper101 View Post
    What were the sash ranks he mentioned?
    I'll try and find the article again and post what he said.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    AFAIK San Soo is a bunch of kempo bullsh1t and they kind of copied the history of Five Family Fist?
    Where does this Kempo thing keep coming from? I've read quite a few threads on here about San Soo and kempo, and from what I can tell it was a misunderstanding about the guy having the same name as another guy.

I've seen quite a bit of Kempo and San Soo being done, and in my inexpert opinion, they are not at all the same.

Its pretty obvious that Jimmy Woo knew some sort of kung fu by watching the older videos of him - what that is I don't know, but it doesn't look like kempo to me.

all historical records of San Soo seem pretty muddy though.

what is it, in reality?
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Where does this Kempo thing keep coming from? I've read quite a few threads on here about San Soo and kempo, and from what I can tell it was a misunderstanding about the guy having the same name as another guy.

I've seen quite a bit of Kempo and San Soo being done, and in my inexpert opinion, they are not at all the same.

Its pretty obvious that Jimmy Woo knew some sort of kung fu by watching the older videos of him - what that is I don't know, but it doesn't look like kempo to me.
    Ed Parker knew most of the kung fu people at that time period. From what I have been told by a student who was there at the time. Ed spent time with Jimmy Woo (founder of San Soo) and talked to him about marketing etc. Because of their business relation many people have said that Ed Parker was a student of Woo's or that Woo was a student of Parker. Neither was true, although I wouldn't be surprised if they did exchange ideas informally.

Ed Parker DID train with James Woo and worked with him in writing his book "Secrets of Chinese Karate". Woo also helped create the early kenpo forms with Ed Parker to give kenpo a more traditional feel to it as opposed to just streetfighting/self-defense techniques like he had learned from Prof. Chow.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    all historical records of San Soo seem pretty muddy though.

what is it, in reality?
    I don't know, but IMO its not Kenpo Karate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    Ed Parker knew most of the kung fu people at that time period. From what I have been told by a student who was there at the time. Ed spent time with Jimmy Woo (founder of San Soo) and talked to him about marketing etc. Because of their business relation many people have said that Ed Parker was a student of Woo's or that Woo was a student of Parker. Neither was true, although I wouldn't be surprised if they did exchange ideas informally.

Ed Parker DID train with James Woo and worked with him in writing his book "Secrets of Chinese Karate". Woo also helped create the early kenpo forms with Ed Parker to give kenpo a more traditional feel to it as opposed to just streetfighting/self-defense techniques like he had learned from Prof. Chow.
    There's where the misunderstanding comes in. Jimmy H. Woo was the founder of San Soo, friend of Ed Parker, etc. But it was James Wing Woo (a different person entirely) who created the original Kenpo forms for Parker & helped him write his first Kenpo book.

There is a chapter on James Wing Woo in the book "Nei Jia Quan" by Jess O'Brien.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

What were the sash ranks he mentioned?
    The sashes were

Grey (beginner)
    Green
    Red
    Blue
    Black (instructor)

Ark Wong (interview from Kung Fu Masters page 270) states that he only did testing at a minimum every 6 months and sometimes longer. All students had to wear the grey sash for at least 6 months before moving on. All students had to have achieved black sash before they were allowed to be an instructor.