Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taekwondo vs WingChun

charles Guest

Taekwondo vs WingChun

How do u feel a Taekwondo stylist would fare against a Wing Chun practitioner, and what strategy should they take.

rogue Guest
    When I took WC we had a TKD guy there. He was a bear to fight for the pure WC guys, in the same way that a WC guy would be a bear for a pure TKD guy.

MonkeySlap Too Guest
    It can have a lot to do with if you are familiar with the opponents fighting style. The more familiar it is, the more predictable it is and the more opportunnities you have to identify weaknesses.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Scott Guest

EXTREME polar opposites

Yah. The entire fight depends on one thing, but I think the upper hand will go to the WC practicioner most of the time. Since many of you are familiar with the striker/grappler act, I will draw a parallel between the this and the question.

A striker and a grappler go at it. THe striker gets in 10 shots avoiding takedown attempts, but the grappler is still standing. On the 11th shot, even though the grappler has taken a beating, he takes the striker to the ground and the fight is over in one move.

Same way with the WC/TKD fight. If the TKD person can keep his distance and throw long range kicks and then get out of range, he can hold his advantage of distance fighting; but the second the Wing Chun guy manages to close in, the TKD guy is in his worst possible area -- The TKD practicioner is in too close to launch and kicks and the Wing Chun man is in his element - Fast strong close punches to the vital areas. I would expect the fight to be over as soon as the Wing Chun man got in close range. I don't think a TKD practicioner could ever defend against close range fighting, especially with a Wing Chun person. So if the TKD practicioner had alot of space and landed one or two solid kicks, he could TKO the WC'er. But otherwise, its just a matter of time.

-Scott

"You have to consider the possibility that god does not like you; he never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. It is not until we have lost everything that we can do anything."

rogue Guest
    One problem with rushing a good TKD fellow is that one of their favorite moves is a back kick into a rushing opponent.

Scott Guest

Yah, I agree that of course Tae Kwon Do people have techniques aimed at covering their weak spots (close range fighting.) But then on the other hand, Wing Chun people have many techniques on closing the gap. Of course the more experienced fighter will win either way, I'm talking assuming they are of equal skill levels

You don't "Rush" the gap, btw ;) That's a BJJ thing. In Wing Chun you only move in with combination with a technique. IE; I block your kick and step in. Not to say that a back kick wouldn't drop me in one shot if it landed.

-Scott

"You have to consider the possibility that god does not like you; he never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. It is not until we have lost everything that we can do anything."

rogue Guest
    I don't know Scott, when I took WC guys were always rushing the gap. I attribute this more to their failings than failings in WC strategies. But that TKD guy had a ball. :)

doug maverick Guest
    well lets look at both arts, tkd's main technique's are kicking, but in wing chun you are tought to close the gap closing off tkd's kick and leaving him only to use low kicks and punches which will be deflected by a good wc fighter then the wc fighter will just strike the tkd guy with blinding speed and power knocking the tkd guy out for the count,

Godzilla Guest

Ouch!!!

I never new how effective the ‘back kick’ was until a Kickboxer joined our TKD school. Of course he started as a white belt, but he whipped up the mat with many of the higher ranking students.

I have been caught by several back kicks in TKD tournaments – some I can still feel deep inside my body. Since then, I have always practiced this technique. I learned, never rush a TKD guy/gal. Ouch!

Godzilla

rogue Guest
    If only things always worked the way we wanted them to Black Tiger.

Robinf Guest
    People seem to be unaware that Taekwondo fighters know how to use their feet for things other than kicking -- like moving (into position comfortable for them to strike, or out of the way of an attack, or...the possibilities of the feet in Taekwondo are endless).

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

rogue Guest
    Hi Robin, how've you been?

Robinf Guest
    I'm fine. I'm trying to stay away from threads like this where people chime in saying "Oh, a TKD person would..." When none of them really know what a TKD would actually do. But, this one seemed to be a rational discussion and I just wanted to toss in my experience.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

doug maverick Guest

most def!

yes tkd can use there foot feet for moves and stuff i should know i mean i study it when i was a kick and got my black belt second degree but then i found out that tkd doesnt work on the street that thug in the bronx will drop you ounce they see your kick and then about thirty other guys start stomping the crap out of you. say what you may but even do tkd is a good art and good in tournaments but when it comes to the street ummm.........lets just say thats thirty guys stomping on a 9 year 10 year olds head does'nt feel good at all

kalos Guest

why i got into wing chun

I hold a second degree black belt in taekwondo.
    When I first did some hard contact sparring with a wing chun guy he destroyed me.. every time. ( I did sneak one good kick on him though.. but that was more out of suprise than anything else)
    Now, after only a little less than two years in wing chun I do the same to my old tkd friends...consistantly.
    The way i view it there is only standup range in fighting... the range where a hit lands. At that point I move in, block and strike - and being that I can almost always move forward faster than my opponenet can move backward.. I follow if he retreats.
    Generally I find it best if I avoid a few kicks first.. get their rythm down.. then move in on the kick afterwards.

Then again perhaps this is all b/c I'm very used to fighting tkd guys.