Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Taekwondo vs WingChun

Robinf Guest
    shaolin.cjb.net,

There's also a stop kick in TKD. Off the top of my head, it's practiced most in Kumagang form(please pardon the spelling). If TKD folks pay attention to their forms and actually used what was in their forms, they would have a complete, stand up arsenal.

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

fungku Guest

some styles

A lot of the Chinese martial arts (so i've read and heard) were developed from Shaolin Monks who trained people (like peasants who were fighting government) for war.

High, jumping kicks are used, not for people standing on the ground, but for people on horse-back They are very rarely practical for use in hand-to-hand combat. High kicks are also too dangerous to use in hand-to-hand combat.

They may be effective to fight an inexperienced fighter, but you should always assume the fighter knows what he is doing, unless you find out otherwise. You NEVER start off a fight with a committed high kick, BIG MISTAKE! Even if you ar efast, you are still extremely vulnerable for a short amount of time, and an experienced, and quick martial artist will take advantage of that.

" As long as we have 2 legs and 2 feet, there will only be one style of fighting" -> true, but that doesn't make everyoen with 2 hands and 2 feet a good fighter. You have to train practically to fight practically. And personally i feel that 'MOST' TKD schools are not practical and 'most' Sport re;ated MAs are impractical.

But hey, I always believe it's not the martial art, it's the person applying the martial techniques...

It ALL depends on how much, and most importantly HOW you train your techniques...

fungku Guest

The hardest thing to defend against is something you've never seen

rogue Guest
    Why assume that TKD always uses a high kick in a fight?

As far as in-fighting, TKD does contain eye gouges, knees, elbows, foot stomps, locks, breaks and throws, at least in the original version and the better modern schools.

Robinf Guest
    shaolin.cjb.net,

What does your post have to do with the stop kick? You said there was one in Wing Chun and I was pointing out there was one in TKD.

I'll be honest with you, your post proves your ignorance of TKD. Now, I bet you're going to tell me that you're an Nth degree black belt in TKD.

Robin

Godzilla Guest

What type of kicks would WC practice ‘stop kicks’ against?

shaolin.cjb.net:
    There are several effective kicks in TKD. If you haven’t seen a back kick or an axe kick how would you ‘stop’ it? To just avoid the kick (although this may be the best defense) is not the answer since it can apply to all styles. What specifically would WC use to stop TKD kicks?

Godzilla

rogue Guest
    Robin, has anybody in your school gone Mantis vs TKD? If so, I'd like to hear about it.

Robinf Guest
    It's mostly been me using kung fu against some of my TKD brothers and sisters--highly, highly skilled black belts. We generally wind up even, as we generally do in TKD sparring.

There is another Mantis "black belt" who has sparred some of our TKD folks (the same one I spar); they also come out about even.

Skill is skill.

Robin

doug maverick Guest

it's not relevant!

look this discussion should'nt even be taking place cause there's no way a hard art like tkd gonna beat a soft art like wing chun so just forget it

rogue Guest
    Great well thought out argument Peace.

Godzilla Guest

peacemaker...

>...the wc fighter will just strike the tkd guy with blinding speed and power knocking the tkd guy out for the count,...

>...there's no way a hard art like tkd gonna beat a soft art like wing chun so just forget it...

Is WC a hard style with strikes or a soft style?

Godzilla

rogue Guest
    They're very soft strikes, lest the person bruise their hand. :D

fei_jai Guest

Just to have my say...

Please don't be fooled in thinking that Wing Chun has soft strikes... A skilled Wing Chun exponent can generate a hellavalot of power, and hit very, very hard.

But, Wing Chun is then also considered a "soft" art. This is because Wing Chun primarily promotes generating power within. That is, we develop power through relaxation, concentration, mental focus and projection.

I dont have much experience with TaeKwondo, or have any real substantial knowledge of it, so I'll stay out of the which one is better debate. Although, you could probably guess which one I'm more biased to.

Dave

rogue Guest
    Don't worry fei jai, the jab was at Pace Maker not Wing Chun. WC is an excellent art.

"This is because Wing Chun primarily promotes generating power within. That is, we develop power through relaxation, concentration, mental focus and projection."

Then well done karate and TKD could be considered soft arts also. :D

doug maverick Guest
    what a moron!
    what do we mean we say "soft"
    in martial arts internal right and wing chun
    is about genarating enternal thats why theres
    no hard shouts because it's about generating the chi to the "weapon" you are striking with it
    i don't know why everytime i speak the truth you
    people get all mad and angry.oh and i didn't just make this stuff up v.a. thomas told me this.