Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rules for continuous sparring in CMA Tournaments

Rules for continuous sparring in CMA Tournaments

Was wondering this the other day, at many CMA tournaments I have looked up I see continous sparring divisions. Was curious what the rules are for that?

In other words, how is it different than San Shou?

Different contact level, different round lentgh?

I am guessing it is similiar to point sparring only no start stop.

Someone help me out here, what are the rules for this.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

It's basically point sparring, is not all that continuous, and, every once in a while, the song YMCA comes on and you have to make letters with your arms, then go home and brag to the people in your life about your brave fight against a nerf encrusted Blossom fan.

Can't remember the exact rules, but I do remember the intention.

The idea is that the person who displays the greatest depth of knowledge and ability to apply their martial art is the winner... so - if you go in with a bunch of one-two combo punches and push kicks - you may hit the other guy more than he hits you, but you could still lose if he displays more of the flavour of his system.

Blog Entries
    Ok,

This here is a Tat Mau Wong/ Nick Scrima light contact tournament here in SF. The black dude is my student and this is a beginners level match. We thought they were going to spar kinda hard...only to find out they wanted us to play patty cake. LITERALY.....they wanted a game of patty cake. My student got DQ'd TWICE for excessive force and THAT WAS light for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lWJc2jlObE

The rules were basically:

Light contact...they MEAN LIGHT AS A FEATHER...if your head rocks side to side DQ!

Front leg sweeps only.

no stikes to the back, or the back of the head.

no take downs and no face shots.

So we were reduced to only a few things we could do. my student just said fuk it and went for it.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    It's basically point sparring, is not all that continuous, and, every once in a while, the song YMCA comes on and you have to make letters with your arms, then go home and brag to the people in your life about your brave fight against a nerf encrusted Blossom fan.
    This has 6, yes 6 levels of awesome in it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Ok,

This here is a Tat Mau Wong/ Nick Scrima light contact tournament here in SF. The black dude is my student and this is a beginners level match. We thought they were going to spar kinda hard...only to find out they wanted us to play patty cake. LITERALY.....they wanted a game of patty cake. My student got DQ'd TWICE for excessive force and THAT WAS light for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lWJc2jlObE

The rules were basically:

Light contact...they MEAN LIGHT AS A FEATHER...if your head rocks side to side DQ!

Front leg sweeps only.

no stikes to the back, or the back of the head.

no take downs and no face shots.

So we were reduced to only a few things we could do. my student just said fuk it and went for it.
    What in the blue fu**ck was that? I cannot begin to fathom why your guy was disqualified, Frank, he hit him with a few cross and reverse punches and a front kick that did not land square? What did the ref say, I have to hear this explanation.

P.S. Nice ridgehands by your guy at the beginning. I take it that was another reason for the DQ. Sad, just plain sad.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Blog Entries
    The ref basically reemed him for using too much force. watch in this next video how fast they DQ him.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3tYWB335XA

Anyone fighting in camo shorts deserves to have their butt handed to them.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

camo shorts?

I know it's slighlty off topic, but why the hell did they let him compete in camo shorts? Every competition I've competed in or looked at required a full uniform.

Anyways, nice shots to the head in that fight. They were hard but controlled. Nothing wild, it looked good for a beginner.

My experience with continuous sparring is usually a set level of contact, light, medium, full (hardly ever this). Lower ranks can't strike the head.

It usually isn't a tally a points that determines the winner but the whichever fighter displayed the best use of technique and skill. Like it was said before, the "one hit wonders" can one shot you all they want, but if you continuosly go in with combos and land 1 out of 5 attempts, you will most likely win because you showed a great command of technique.

Round lengths are usually 1 to 2 minutes.
    ... i think that about sums it up with what has been said previously.

cheers!
    Last edited by iunojupiter; 10-26-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Isn't being a ***** for not wanting to take a punch, or CAN'T take a punch being a HYPOCRIT if you also claim to be a "martial artist" or a "fighter?"
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

wow, I guess you just have to stay away from the disneyland fairy fantasy fudge packing tournaments then.

clearly, they are out of their realm of understanding when it comes to sparring, sanda etc.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    Isn't being a ***** for not wanting to take a punch, or CAN'T take a punch being a HYPOCRIT if you also claim to be a "martial artist" or a "fighter?"
    You have ball slapped the correct.

I guess this is why all sparring at CMA tournaments needs to go to San Shou format, because let's face it, anything else is just posturing BS. One of the main reasons I quite doing point sparring years ago, oh the horror of those things.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    the problem is that the judges themselves need to be educated.
    They were not all that familiar with sow choys-and thought the contact was excessive. Since they were now wary of the contact level, and concerned with safety, as soon as even light contact was made, they jumped right in and decided to end it right then and there.
    I have done this-ONLY when I knew that the guy was making excessive contact, with complete disregard for the rules and his opponent.
    If they are both banging and still with control and have no problem with it, we kinda let them go at it a bit. Mind you, this is still not full-contact.
    The rule is, any face contact that snaps the head back is potentially dangerous.
    (of course, some people have a flinch reaction, and over react to even the slightest contact, and others may play upon it) But-this is the way the game is played. Usually there is pretty hard contact to all other areas allowed.
    I have had this problem with a guy at another Kung-Fu tournament-He was from Jow Ga style and yet he didn't recognize sow choy and cup choy. I told him,"These are your mainstays in your own system-you should know this and be able to recognize it!"
    Too many people have only been exposed to point fighting and jab'cross, uppercut, hook in their own schools-they fight different than their forms.
    Hence, in the words of Jow Ga Sifu Raymond Wong-"Keep the Kung-Fu in Kung-Fu!"
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    yeah, although there are no sanda fights in california...we will train and leave state if we have to. but we will never do this kind of event again.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    The ref basically reemed him for using too much force. watch in this next video how fast they DQ him.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3tYWB335XA
    Nice bit of acting by the other guy.

I remember when point sparring was the rage and you would go to those tournaments and see hundreds of competitors. At least in my area now, they may be lucky to have 50-100 competitors total. That fills my heart with great joy that slap crappy fighting is starting to die. I know, it will always be around but it is just plain sad to see someone get DQed for something like that.

What's even more sad, when you see it in the black belt division.