Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BJJ vs. Kung Fu

just before the guy shoots, the other guy throws up two blocks that should have been punches. Probably wouldn't have made a difference though, judging from his technique.

After that, he had nothing, didn't even try to get the captured leg between the other guys, which is as basic as it gets.

It just got text book from there, side, mount, grab the deadly throat attack and arm bar or that chicken wing thingy that gets the rotator cuff. 20 second fight.

Best thing he did was avoid.....LOL
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    if you find yourself in a room with a camera, you are kungfu vs a bjj guy. you are probably set up first of all, and you probably suck.

thats what scouting is for

second, go berserk and try to hurt him as fast as you can, as soon as he ties you up you are done if you cant stay on your feet.
    So when a guys runs in and grabs me, uhhh I'm just s'possed to give up, lay down and "let him wrap me up."?

Uhh no
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

these style against style meets go on all the time in HK.

the 'kung fu' guy did them all the time, so he wasn't green. he was so confident in the power of his kicks that he asked the bjj guy to put on a chest guard. i give props to people willing to try out what they have against anything. you'll see that there are 2 more rounds to the fight. the guy was willing to continue and see if he could figure out how to defend.

the 'bjj' guy is Hakka and grew up in a family of Jook Lum tong long guys. he did full contact kung fu tournaments in the UK before he started bjj. he wouldn't have any problems with the guy even if they stay standing. now he is a brown belt and teaches bjj and MMA, as well as refs MMA. his name is Thomas Fan and he's my bjj sifu.

i started bjj because i saw how effective it was in the first UFC. i love my kung fu style, but i know it has limitations on the ground and i wanted to be confident there too. it's a great sport, you can spar all the time and not get too many injuries too often, and it's made me understand and be able to practice more what i already know about grabs and takedowns. i think MMA is a natural progression for martial artists who want to train hard and continue to challenge their fighting abilities.
    East River Dragon Style, Lam Family
    東河龍形 - 林家拳, 林志平,師傅

Props Melty!
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    good luck melt. looks like your on the right track.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i would be interested to see a bjj black belt spar a top level shuai jiao fighter. just to see how well the bjj guy can do to take the shuai jiao guy off his feet.

also i want to see shuai jiao vs judo
    shuai jiao vs judo would come down to the better competitor and which art do you think has the better competition pool to pull from? Same with BJJ but you wouldn’t find a strict BJJ black belt who regularly competes who doesn’t also train Judo to a high level

why oh why must people always start thread and say this style vs that style????????

It kinda annoys me, because it should read this guy vs that guy. Its is not the style nor the art that are comparable, its how well the individual can make thier chosen art work.

This is the only real comparison. If it were 30 odd 6 vs a 38 and the guy with the 38 drew faster or had better aim does tht mean the 38 is a superior gun?

No matter what art stlye or whatever you do it is always up to the guy who trains more and can apply his art mnore effeicently.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    why oh why must people always start thread and say this style vs that style????????

It kinda annoys me, because it should read this guy vs that guy. Its is not the style nor the art that are comparable, its how well the individual can make thier chosen art work.

This is the only real comparison. If it were 30 odd 6 vs a 38 and the guy with the 38 drew faster or had better aim does tht mean the 38 is a superior gun?

No matter what art stlye or whatever you do it is always up to the guy who trains more and can apply his art mnore effeicently.
    Mostly because if you read my original post it was not about style vs. style, it was about the insanely stupid comments people on You Tube post about martial arts. Any person that does not address groundfighting will be beaten by someone who does, that part is very simple. Take a minute and read the comments of that match and you will see how deluded the average person is regarding martial arts.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    So when a guys runs in and grabs me, uhhh I'm just s'possed to give up, lay down and "let him wrap me up."?

Uhh no
    i dont recall seeing that statement in any of my posts, ever . never give up. i was howerever saying if you suck and you get floored by a bjj guy and you are probably going to lose... its totally different, than saying to just give up. if you could find the quote where i suggest giving up...

what i was eluding to is that often the bjj guy knows the kungfu guy has little to zero ground experience and knowledge and knows if he can get in and not get ko he has a really good chance of winning.

the best i think ive ever seen in any of these vids is delucia vs gracie. he did better than any other pure cma guy than ive ever seen on those vids, then he immediately started training bjj...

your best bet as a kungfu guy with no REAL ground game, is to ko the guy fast. pretty realistic imo.

but by all means, show me a kungfu guy beating a bjj guy in a friendly full contact match. im not saying it cant happen, anything can happen, but there are aspects to likely and unlikely scenarios.

lets face it, realistically, most all kungfu purists wont be able to hold their own against a bjj guy with a few years under his belt IF the fight goes to the ground.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    your best bet as a kungfu guy with no REAL ground game, is to ko the guy fast. pretty realistic imo.
    I agree. the only gung fu guy that i can think of at the moment to enter the UFC and effectively use his stuff was Cung Le. All the others in the past has froze up and allowed the MMA or BJJ guys to do what they do best.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    I agree. the only gung fu guy that i can think of at the moment to enter the UFC and effectively use his stuff was Cung Le. All the others in the past has froze up and allowed the MMA or BJJ guys to do what they do best.
    Cung Le is MMA. I remember how pi$$y TCMA people were towards him in his early San Shou days because he didn't claim a TCMA style. He's as hybrid MMA as they come. Mostly TKD and wrestling in his youth when he rose to the top of the early American San Shou world. Gene should have some archived interviews where he discussed how he developed his famous scissor kick take down. Here's a hint "Best of the Best".

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    A lot of this has to do with Cung's wrestling experience. If you have a Kung Fu guy well trained in either wrestling or Shuai Jiao and can keep the BJJ guy from taking them down, it negates their main offensive objective.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

in regards to cung le and cma i think the best aspect to look at is how he employs techniques that are common in cma. namely, side kicks and turn back kicks and various hand strikes, very common in many styles of cma. sure other styles have those, but so does cma, and he makes them work. hell he gets tko with body kicks......who else does that at the pro fighting level?

his main strength in mma besides his striking is his defense of the takedown, and being able to bring the fight back to his realm if he does go down. That is where kungfu guys need to cross train. If you have competent stand up game, get your defense in place, and learn the ground enough to escape and bring the fight back to your comfort zone.

but remember....in life MOST GROWTH HAPPENS OUTSIDE THE COMFORT ZONE!!!

you can apply that to anything.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Take a minute and read the comments of that match and you will see how deluded the average person is regarding martial arts.
    Rule number eleventyone of the kung fu man.

11ty1) Only a fool heeds the words of another fool.

Kung Fu is good for you.

hskwarrior
    Joel sutton faught under my school kung fu USA in UFC 6 & 7 as an alternate and won both bouts using praying mantis kung fu

ironeagleMostly because if you read my original post it was not about style vs. style, it was about the insanely stupid comments people on You Tube post about martial arts.
    yes you did sorry about that I skipped over the impotance fo your thread, my apologies, just get tired of all these threads that compare this to that with no relavance, sorry again eagle
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 10-29-2010 at 08:02 PM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."