Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wow really good WC (kinda like oldschool boxing)

The video is terrible. The bobbing and weaving is fine, the defenses are decent, but the strikes reveal a distinct lack of ability.

They don't need to strike hard, its their structure when they're "hitting" that shows a lack of understanding on how to strike at all.

Anyone who can take a decent punch can walk right through their best, hardest, fastest strike because just based on how their structure looks, even if they were to put the ultimate effort into it, it would all fall apart when making contact.

Utterly terrible for instructor-level chi sao. Whats the point of being able to defend yourself from a strike when you can't take advantage of the openings you create.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    The video is terrible. The bobbing and weaving is fine, the defenses are decent, but the strikes reveal a distinct lack of ability.

They don't need to strike hard, its their structure when they're "hitting" that shows a lack of understanding on how to strike at all.

Anyone who can take a decent punch can walk right through their best, hardest, fastest strike because just based on how their structure looks, even if they were to put the ultimate effort into it, it would all fall apart when making contact.

Utterly terrible for instructor-level chi sao. Whats the point of being able to defend yourself from a strike when you can't take advantage of the openings you create.
    And unfortunately the kung fu world is full of "instructors" such as these ones.

I just don't know what they were trying to show. You can tell the guys in the video do WCK as they are somewhat in a chi sau format. You can also tell they do some kind of boxing or MT, as they do bob and weave and that kind of cover for strikes to the head.

But they are just playing around. Kind of slap boxing like.

I don't think the guys are terrible in general. I don't like the way they are collapsed in on themselves on their bridge - I don't think that is necessary to add in boxing or MT elements to long range fighting and think that is problematic in general.

I just would label it 2 guys playing around as opposed to "Advanced chi sau" or whatever.

talk more about this next time we kick it.

i thought it kinda resembled old school boxing but you know more about this stuff.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring
    I just don't know what they were trying to show. You can tell the guys in the video do WCK as they are somewhat in a chi sau format. You can also tell they do some kind of boxing or MT, as they do bob and weave and that kind of cover for strikes to the head.

But they are just playing around. Kind of slap boxing like.

I don't think the guys are terrible in general. I don't like the way they are collapsed in on themselves on their bridge - I don't think that is necessary to add in boxing or MT elements to long range fighting and think that is problematic in general.

I just would label it 2 guys playing around as opposed to "Advanced chi sau" or whatever.
    What you see there isn't boxing or muay thai, you see a poor emulation of boxing/muay thai. Its possible they've taken a few boxing/mt classes but what they're doing with the slip and everything they took from that has such poor structure, timing and understanding that its hard to believe they ever spent a decent amount of time doing it.

I really would agree that they were just playing around, if not for the title of the video and description. I think its a couple of Wing Chun guys who decided to adapt some boxing he might've either learned or emulated from a video, then "messed up" their wing chun kin by slipping the straight punches, and felt all badass and decided to label their crap "Advanced Chi Sao"

But really, there is no boxing/mt bobbing or weaving going on there. He's moving his body to the side but not slipping any punches, just creating distance. That can be smart when trying to keep an opponent away from you, but serves little purpose when you're just going to re-engage.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    talk more about this next time we kick it.

i thought it kinda resembled old school boxing but you know more about this stuff.

Haha, you were supposed to come to my boxing class but you flaked It was a pretty good class, I mostly worked the mitts and everyone do some basic defense drills, they're all progressing fairly well but still just starting out.
    Last edited by AdrianK; 11-27-2010 at 03:03 AM.

Btw, just watched the video again. The most awesome thing is that they blurred out the guy's face, but forgot to blur it out in the mirror on the wall, so you can clearly see the dude.

I see nothing fantastic about all the bobbing and weaving during this slap boxing session. It doesn't have any decisive control or sharpness that any good short bridge would have or any realistic counters or traps that a good long bridge would offer. It looks to be a kind of in between slapping session. It does have an incredible lack of structure from top to bottom. I think that it looks like the shell of Wing Chun, but has no real substance or value.

If that is SiFu level, I am afraid of what the students could be like.

Sorry.
    Your journey ends at my feet.

*It takes effort to learn to do something without*

What you see there isn't boxing or muay thai, you see a poor emulation of boxing/muay thai. Its possible they've taken a few boxing/mt classes but what they're doing with the slip and everything they took from that has such poor structure, timing and understanding that its hard to believe they ever spent a decent amount of time doing it.
    Yes agree. So I don't know if they were just slacking around playing or if they were really trying and aren't very good.
    I really would agree that they were just playing around, if not for the title of the video and description. I think its a couple of Wing Chun guys who decided to adapt some boxing he might've either learned or emulated from a video, then "messed up" their wing chun kin by slipping the straight punches, and felt all badass and decided to label their crap "Advanced Chi Sao"
    Yeah, it's hard to believe that people slacking around playing would be pompous enough to label it that.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    LOL... what these guys were doing is better than 90% of the WC practitioners out there.
    Lol, statistics made up on the spot have a 98% probability of being wrong.
    The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.
    -sun tzu

Personally I think the black guy technique was weak. His Structure was frequently compromise and he was in bad posistion most of the time with his back slopply up against the wall. Also i didnt see much of controlling the opponent, controlling the centerline or controlling the elbow.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

But really, there is no boxing/mt bobbing or weaving going on there. He's moving his body to the side but not slipping any punches, just creating distance. That can be smart when trying to keep an opponent away from you, but serves little purpose when you're just going to re-engage.

Haha, you were supposed to come to my boxing class but you flaked It was a pretty good class, I mostly worked the mitts and everyone do some basic defense drills, they're all progressing fairly well but still just starting out.
    I felt like sh1t that entire week bro.

I'll stop by before going home for the holidays.

Catch up grab some drinks smokes whatever.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori