Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow really good WC (kinda like oldschool boxing)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    There are loads of disgraceful WCK videos on the Net. That clip is right up there with them IMO.
    LOL... what these guys were doing is better than 90% of the WC practitioners out there.

i thought thats was a decent light sparring clip

i like the MT type shielding block they were using as well

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    LOL... what these guys were doing is better than 90% of the WC practitioners out there.
    You are probably right knifefighter you dullard!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    This clip's been around for a lil while. I don't believe they're "playing around" in that they're not trying to apply things, I believe they're sparring lightly.
    Sorry, I don't see how touchy-feely, closed eyed, slap-happy, hand chasey, tickle me moves equates to "applying things" Chun... Or that continuity of the above equates to applying "relaxed free flow" in Chun..

It was simply half assed playing around.. To me calling it "sparring" stretches the meaning of the term sparring to mean any kind of hand play... Nothing wrong with playing but that kind of play has precious little to do with real training/sparring.

Calling it sparring legitimizes this kind of stuff--giving it a thumbs up.. One could then assume this represents actual "work" showing "good training habits" or actual sparring and if this is what folks are doing in the way of sparring/training then they are training to fail (to coin a phrase).
    Last edited by YungChun; 10-31-2010 at 02:03 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Sorry, I don't see how touchy-feely, closed eyed, slap-happy, hand chasey, tickle me moves equates to "applying things" Chun... Or that continuity of the above equates to applying "relaxed free flow" in Chun..

It was simply half assed playing around.. To me calling it "sparring" stretches the meaning of the term sparring to mean any kind of hand play... Nothing wrong with playing but that kind of play has precious little to do with real training/sparring.

Calling it sparring legitimizes this kind of stuff--giving it a thumbs up.. One could then assume this represents actual "work" showing "good training habits" or actual sparring and if this is what folks are doing in the way of sparring/training then they are training to fail (to coin a phrase).
    So then what you really have a problem with, is the fact that the guys aren't "as good as you"? Because MOST chunners are touchy feely, closed eyed, slap happy, hand chasey, using tickle me moves. So I fail to see how this is any worse then what's already out there.

I've yet to see ONE video of good wing chun...based on your standards. Yet everyone in here is an expert who knows the real deal yet can't produce ONE.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    I'm saying do you guys not think it was decent?

I am assuming you think the footage displayed in the video sucks then?
    nothing wrong with the clip inherently. people can always find something to criticize . ill say the good things about it is that the black guy is flowing with his opponent and following his actions which is one of the maing things that differentiates wing chun from other fighting styles

curious as to why you think it is like "boxing"? im guessing its because of his body movement?

WC does not require you to be like a stiff tree with no footwork or body movement. i know in some schools they teach that but it is not required. some WC schools teach movement as fundamental and part of the kuen kuit.

WC differs greatly from school to school due to various reasons.

i find it hilarious that people think that if you are not trying to knock your sihings head off, its completely unrealistic and useless.
    Last edited by Pacman; 10-31-2010 at 02:52 PM.

It reminds me of two boxers getting warmed up in the ring before a big fight, just getting there bearings and timing jacked up. No real intent is shown, and it is light on the structure, more just natural movement and such. I can see the benifit as it more free flowing than the strict VT drills normally done in a class, which is good sometimes as it lets the students be free for awhile.

In the beginning, it looked like the darker guy was training his ability to fight when pinned against the wall, which is good from a self defence apspect.

The thing is, not everyone is training to be a fighter, some are just looking for some basic unarmed self defence, and some do it for pleasure as well You don't fight in self defence, you survive and get out alive.

James

sometimes i dont understand . people seem to think to have good structure you must be stuck with a certain posture at all times.

you only need good structure when you are trying to hit or do something else. otherwise, being so stiff all the time inhibits you from doing other things.

its like when i sparred this guy who boxed for 10 years. i was 3 feet away from him and he kept bobbing and weaving out of habit.

Believe it or not, there is always some sort of structure present when it comes to physical things. But when pressure is excerted upon something, a reinforced structure is needed to maintain a base. For us, that is the VT structure we learn when we train in the method. The forms and drills give us this ability to learn physically. VT is unique in that it is a form of controlling striking, rather than just striking like a boxer would do (for the most part anyways). If my natural bodily structure is not reinforced by VT training, there is no control ability available to me, as when contact/attachment is made my structure is already comprimised, I'm catching up to regain balance and stability. But when VT structure is in place, there is no catching up, you continue on to hit, since the pressure applied to you is nullified for the moment.

Of course nothing is guaranteed, and allot of factors are at play, but you have to start somewhere. Do I work my speed and angles and ability to beat my opponent to the punch, or work a method that allows a lower margine of error. One may work better when your young, but what happens when you age and can't keep up anymore with the younger guns?

James

Structure does not = stiffness(extreme muscular tension) or posture holding.

Structure = aligned/unified body and joints, reinforced by slight muscular tension to support the joints and gain stability, with an abililty to adapt to pressure, due to more relaxed muscles and joint sensitivity.

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    Believe it or not, there is always some sort of structure present when it comes to physical things. But when pressure is excerted upon something, a reinforced structure is needed to maintain a base. For us, that is the VT structure we learn when we train in the method. The forms and drills give us this ability to learn physically. VT is unique in that it is a form of controlling striking, rather than just striking like a boxer would do (for the most part anyways). If my natural bodily structure is not reinforced by VT training, there is no control ability available to me, as when contact/attachment is made my structure is already comprimised, I'm catching up to regain balance and stability. But when VT structure is in place, there is no catching up, you continue on to hit, since the pressure applied to you is nullified for the moment.
    Body unity through stable roots. One of the things that SLT touches upon in a fundamental way.

Of course nothing is guaranteed, and allot of factors are at play, but you have to start somewhere. Do I work my speed and angles and ability to beat my opponent to the punch, or work a method that allows a lower margine of error. One may work better when your young, but what happens when you age and can't keep up anymore with the younger guns?
    Isn't the built in wisdom of the TCMAs a great thing.

i guess im just referring to this and other things i see with regards to what i call stiffness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV4Jq6H9pEQ

with regards to what you said about "catching up to regain balance and stability" i would say that the techniques are applied differently in different situations. depends on your range, etc.

James

Structure does not = stiffness(extreme muscular tension) or posture holding.

Structure = aligned/unified body and joints, reinforced by slight muscular tension to support the joints and gain stability, with an abililty to adapt to pressure, due to more relaxed muscles and joint sensitivity.
    Last edited by Pacman; 10-31-2010 at 09:23 PM.

So then what you really have a problem with, is the fact that the guys aren't "as good as you"? Because MOST chunners are touchy feely, closed eyed, slap happy, hand chasey, using tickle me moves.
    So your logic is that if I don't agree with what "most chunners" do then "my problem" is that they are not "as good as me"?

That's brilliant..

So, if most chunners do flower arrangement and hug and kiss each other in ChiSao then I should go along with that? And if I don't then that means I think they're not "as good as me"? Sure that makes sense..

I've yet to see ONE video of good wing chun...based on your standards.
    And what are my standards? That sparring should actually be sparring using actual intent and Chun tactics? Yeah, that's nuts..

So I fail to see how this is any worse then what's already out there.
    Really, so this is the best video you've seen here? Okay, whatever floats your boat..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    WC does not require you to be like a stiff tree with no footwork or body movement.
    And where have people been advocating this as good chun?

Seems to me that people have been talking about all kinds of things here that talk about exactly the opposite... So either I have missed all these posts advocating no footwork and being stiff or you pulled this out of thin air..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    And where have people been advocating this as good chun?

Seems to me that people have been talking about all kinds of things here that talk about exactly the opposite... So either I have missed all these posts advocating no footwork and being stiff or you pulled this out of thin air..
    i think you have missed these things. all throughout the forums people will say o no that sucks "hes not rooted" if you see some hopping or "he has no structure" when referring to seeing a person turn their body to punch. this is peppered throughout the forums.

i met people in person that tell me they dont fully extend their arm when they punch, or that they never take their feet off the ground so that they stay "rooted".

i meet people who keep close to 100% on their back leg, back is completely straight. yeah sure they have some footwork. im sure they think its good. to me i say that is too stationary and too stiff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB3eW0hfy0U

of course this is just my opinion and i am expressing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    i think you have missed these things. all throughout the forums people will say o no that sucks "hes not rooted" if you see some hopping or "he has no structure" when referring to seeing a person turn their body to punch. this is peppered throughout the forums.

i met people in person that tell me they dont fully extend their arm when they punch, or that they never take their feet off the ground so that they stay "rooted".

i meet people who keep close to 100% on their back leg, back is completely straight. yeah sure they have some footwork. im sure they think its good. to me i say that is too stationary and too stiff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB3eW0hfy0U

of course this is just my opinion and i am expressing it.
    Where are the people here I asked advocating being stiff, etc? My impression is that when you heard structure you automatically thought "stiff" robot like actions.. The reality is that structure doesn't mean that... Structure is about being effective in action in motion in movement, at whatever the task is... It will involve generating power and managing power... What we see in the video has little to do with this...it was simply playing around..

As far as the Emin clip goes, whatever he says or does has nothing to do with our discussions here.. I could only watch up to where he says that even when the other guy has longer legs that you can still kick him (his body) if he can kick you..and he basis this on physics.. Complete nonsense..

On an aside I see that there is a lot of weight placed on words, on which words are used here.. And I can also see that when one person uses a certain word others will jump on that and chastise the person.. Words are tricky and when one person uses one word that one person takes one way it isn't always what they meant..

When Terence talked about having the weight on the ball of the foot I didn't understand what he meant.. I had a certain picture in my head.. But when I checked my stances (which do have the whole foot on the floor) I realized that my ChumKiuMa did indeed have a "focus of weight" on the rear ball, despite the fact that the whole foot is flat on the ground.. Up until then I have said the weight was on the whole foot.. But now I realize that despite a flat foot there is a clear focus on the ball and that it's key to correct loading.... I have always felt it but I didn't realize exactly where the weight was.. So when explaining it now I have a new reference...etc..

Folks need to try to listen and get a clear picture as well as painting a clear picture with their words before ripping people to shreds...
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F