Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's with who?

Who's with who?

Hello, all. New to the board, wanted to say hi. I study 7 star, under Sifu Chuck Perry, who is under Si Gung Raymond Fogg. In Alexandria, Louisiana. Off and on for 16 years. Love 7 Star.

Pretty much chop suey from 1974 - 1990, then I joined Wah Lum and studied with Art D`Agostino. I was then handed off to Shifu Sean Cochran and with Chan Pui. Then I left Wah Lum and began my training with Peng Lai under Shifu John Scolaro. My Shifu now is Kevin Brazier. His Shifu is Master Shi Zheng Zhong. Shifu Kevin Brazier will be my last teacher.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Welcome to the board!
    My original kung fu style is Nu Hou Quan which I studied in the late 70's from Leroy Johnson and taught for 30 years.
    I was first introduced to Northern Praying Mantis (WHF) in the middle '80s by Mike Biggie and have trained on and off with him in group and/or private classes since then. I also learned the Wah Lum Little Mantis set.
    Now I teach my own interpretation of Mantis (wuying tanglangquan) in North Canton, Ohio.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 11-01-2010 at 02:07 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

hello!

Originally studied Shaolin Kempo Karate (Villari Flavor) in high school, took a couple years off for college.
    Started studying under Shifu Stanley Tabor in 2002 and have been with him ever since. Originally learning Wah Lum Praying Mantis kung fu, now fully transitioned into Taiji Meihua.

welcome to the board Shifudrew
    got my start in hungar by the late master ting fong wong, one of the 10 tigers of Canton in 1981. switched to Okinawn Karate from one of victor vegas top students Leslie Heri and eanred a black belt, then went a praying mantis kung fu seminar hosted by Dean Economus given by my current shifu of ba bu tang lang's shyun kwon long student of Wei Xiao Tung in 1989 and got my arse handed to me with little to no effort and I knew that 8 step would be the system I would do forever and have been teaching it since 1996.

I recenlty had the pleasure of being invited by Raymond Fogg to attend his seminar and was honner to meet and touch hands with him.
    Attachment 5893
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Yes, Si Gung Fogg is a remarkable man. I don't get the opportunities to train with him as much as I like, due to work schedule, but I take advantage of every chance.
    Am looking forward to spending time with him soon, if not, then by December, when we will all gather to celebrate his birthday. Thank you for the reply.

Talking mantis

Under Sifu Hughes in Austin TX (2yrs) who's under Si Gung Raymond Fogg.

Though I'm not currently training the mantis, I hope to return with better employment.
    Last edited by SanHeChuan; 11-02-2010 at 02:29 PM.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

My resume sounds pretty puny by comparison as I have only been training 7 star under Sifu Henry Chung for almost 5 years now. Seems like I am one of the few people to have never studied any other MA. I was able to briefly meet Sifu Fogg at the promotion ceremony of one of Sifu Chung's students this past summer.

Very cool photo EarthDragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Codeboy View Post
    My resume sounds pretty puny by comparison as I have only been training 7 star under Sifu Henry Chung for almost 5 years now. Seems like I am one of the few people to have never studied any other MA. I was able to briefly meet Sifu Fogg at the promotion ceremony of one of Sifu Chung's students this past summer.

Very cool photo EarthDragon!
    Nothing puny about that! You are very fortunate to be training with Sifu Chung. He is a very respected member of the Mantis community.
    Richard A. Tolson

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

codeboy,
    no worries as mooying said, 5 dedicated years is far more than alot of people put in, and you are fortunate to start with mantis, some of us needed to wade through teachers and other styles till we found what we loved, your lucky.
    Dont worry about the years trained eiher, we have long resumes because we're old LOL 44 years in age with 29 years training, however no matter how old I am I will always be younger than mooying .... LOL
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    Dont worry about the years trained eiher, we have long resumes because we're old LOL 44 years in age with 29 years training, however no matter how old I am I will always be younger than mooying .... LOL
    52 years of age, 42 years in MA. DON'T make daddy SPANK Earthdragon!
    LOL!!!!
    Richard A. Tolson

I trained in a Korean lineage of Mantis which included aspects of Shaolin Longfist and Bagua under Stefano Dalla Vecchia and Guiseppe Bon in Italy. They both had trained under Master Shin Dae Woung who had trained in Korea under Lu Shui Tien, Lee Poyon, and Lim Poon Chang. I trained in this lineage for around 4 years before returning to the US.

I still practice this curriculum on my own, though my primary practice since 2002 has been the Hsing-I Bagua & Tai Chi of the Tang Shou Tao Association.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

My name's Kurt and I was a regular of Sifu Henry Chung from 1992 through 2003, then I had to move.

Been doing Judo and BJJ ever since but still love the kung fu and go back to refresh every once in a while. Basically, whenever I get too ****y, Sifu will slap me around and show me that I still don't know shi'ite. Gotta love it.

Hahaha

Funny how Sifu Chung can humble you isn't it! I believe I was humbled by his elbow to my throat last night in class

I study in alexandria la under sifu perry also under the sigung fogg lineage. Of course sifudrew you probably already knew that since you are my kung fu brother see you in class.