Thread: computer help

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

computer help

i have a 2 year old HP Laptop, G60 series with an AMD Turian Dual Core RM-70 2 ghz and 3 gigs of ram running Vista. imo, it's never really performed like i thought it should.

how can i strip it down and get rid of all the HP crap and simply reformat it as a XP or 7 system w/o all the add-on crap.

I think I know I need to have it networked with another computer to do it...or maybe the simplest thing is to buy a new hard drive for it... I dunno...TIA.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    uninstall all the crap you don't want. There are a couple programs you can get for free online that will take off the excess "left" over components that programs leave behind that clog up your registry and added processes. I'll recommend one that works pretty well.

CClean. you can clean up some of your excess with registry errors and such.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

ok. so, i can just uninstall all the HP productw w/o bad things happening?
    somehow i figured that they were too integral to the operation since it was an HP product and i'd have to start from scratch.

I already use CCleaner, AVG.

Ok, I guess I should intentionally save a restore point though????
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Blog Entries
    You can always

- copy your data on a plug in device,
    - re-formate your hard drive,
    - re-install your OS, and
    - copy your data back.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You can always

- copy your data on a plug in device,
    - re-formate your hard drive,
    - re-install your OS, and
    - copy your data back.
    yea...did that multiple times to a desktop that was hand built for me...no proprietary crap. but, i don't have an OS disk for the Vista...it's bundled with the HP recovery disk as near as I can tell...or is on the partitioned recovery section of the HD.

the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of just buying a $50 250gb HD and building that up from scratch with my XP...buying a HD enclosure to use the old drive as a spare/storage drive and then buying the 7 upgrade.

Thanks!

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    HP products are usually addons, don't know what you have on your system though, could be other things but in general they are usually addons.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

a'right. thanks!