Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brule's Training Log V2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    OK.

If you look back, i have been doing two workouts, one pull and one push. I find that it only takes me 10-15min each workout. I am thinking of doing them all in one day and doing pull-ups/push-ups/dips another day. This is what i'm thinking the workout will look like, let me know your thoughts.

Day 1:
    Squats
    Barbell Row
    Overhead Press
    Bench Press
    Close-Grip Bench
    Deadlift

Day 2:
    Pull-Ups
    Push-ups
    Dips

I'm limited on the squats since i'm doing this at home and don't have access to a squat rack. So i can only squat what i can safely press, which now is only 50lbs. Which will work fine for me now.

Also, on the dips, i plan on using the bench to do these unless someone has any better suggestions.
    Just my opinion but way too much volume on the first day, and way too little on the second, and your not working the legs at all on the second day, and to be honest your not working them much on the first day if you are only squatting what you can press

Id suggest the following

Day 1
    Front Squat
    Bench press
    Barbell row
    Push ups

Day 2
    Deadlift
    Overhead press
    A form of lunge
    Close grip press

Id make these suggestions for the following reasons:
    1) Its more balanced in terms of muwscles worked: You are working legs, and upper body both pushing and pulling on both days
    2) Volume and intensity is more balanced across the two days, 4 exercieses being worked each day
    3) Front squats instead of back squats: you can clean way more than you can press so you will be able to work up to a heavier weight front squatting than back squatting
    4) Because you are limited in what you can squat a single leg exercise, lunge in this case, will allow you to works the legs a different way

I am not a huge fan of dipping between benches, if you can get a dip/chin station do it, it is well worth it and you will never outgrow it.
    Frost posted an very good routine.
    That *******.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I am not a huge fan of dipping between benches, if you can get a dip/chin station do it, it is well worth it and you will never outgrow it.
    Frost posted an very good routine.
    That *******.
    kiss my british rear end you canuc

He is a beginner so perhaps piling up 2 stacks of three cinderblocks and placing his feet on a chair, or a bench, would be a good start for dips. Of course he can add a weighted cambered bar to his lap to increase the resistance.

Or bench dips, but I prefer the cinderblock dips, you get a better range of motion.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it.

I'll give Frost's program a try. I started tonight and tried the front squats but didn't feel comfortable with them even with onl 50lbs. I have never done them before so i'm not too sure on the form.

Back Squat
    3x10x50lbs

Bench Press
    1x10x60lbs
    1x10x70lbs
    1x4x90lbs

Barbell Row
    1x10x50lbs
    2x4x60lbs

Push-ups
    1x10
    2x6

I know the weight is light for the back squat but i wanted to make sure i got the form right and was able to handle the weight. And yes, i know the push-up numbers suck. It's something to work on. I wanted to do the dips and pull-ups. I tried the dips tonight but it didn't feel right on the shoulder, i think i had my hands to far back putting extra stress on the shoulder.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it.

I'll give Frost's program a try. I started tonight and tried the front squats but didn't feel comfortable with them even with onl 50lbs. I have never done them before so i'm not too sure on the form.

Back Squat
    3x10x50lbs

Bench Press
    1x10x60lbs
    1x10x70lbs
    1x4x90lbs

Barbell Row
    1x10x50lbs
    2x4x60lbs

Push-ups
    1x10
    2x6

I know the weight is light for the back squat but i wanted to make sure i got the form right and was able to handle the weight. And yes, i know the push-up numbers suck. It's something to work on. I wanted to do the dips and pull-ups. I tried the dips tonight but it didn't feel right on the shoulder, i think i had my hands to far back putting extra stress on the shoulder.
    dont worry about numbers just worry about form, with the front squat there are lots of videos on youtube just look at them and start with the bar

IF you don't mind me asking Brule, how tall ate you and how much do you weigh?

I'm currently back up to my normal weight of 160 and i'm 5'6".

I'm currently back up to my normal weight of 160 and i'm 5'6".
    And what were your injuries and how well are you right now?

Haven't posted my progress in a long time. I haven't stopped, just haven't posted on the log. I try to keep this updated as much as possible. I have also added some different exercises just to change things up.

Last night:

Push-ups
    4x28

Pull-ups
    1x10
    1x7
    1x4

Turkish Get up w/30lb dumbell
    3x5 right side
    3x5 left side

Overhead Press
    1x9x50
    1x4x70
    1x2x70

Barbell Row
    1x10x50
    1x6x70
    1x3x75

Deadlift
    1x2x100
    1x2x120
    1x2x140
    1x1x160

Squats
    1x10x50
    2x8x70

KB Swings
    2x13x30lbs right
    2x13x30lbs left

TUG
    2x2x30lbs each side

Update

Been trying the 3x5 starting strength program and these were my last numbers from last week.

Squat 110lbs
    Bench 120lbs
    Deadlift 220lbs
    Press 85lbs
    Hang cleans 90lbs

Unfortunatley, as the weight got heavier, it starting affecting my prior medical issues which had me a bit worried. I have since stopped the weights to see how i feel and things have been feeling better. I find the squating and deadlifting to be the real culprits as they seem to put a lot of stress in my midsection. I will probably keep the benching as i find it doesn't put too much stress on me and will try to add other exercises one at a time to see how it feels.

Always gotta listen to your body dude.
    There is no real reason for squats and DL's to be awkward or hurt, they are natural movements the body makes all the time BUT we still have to be taught to do them correctly at times, especially when we add the element of heavy weights (relative).
    Have you gotten your form checked?

It's not they were bothering me while i was doing them, i felt fine and didn't have an issue with the weight. It was moreso afterwards, my midsection wasn't feeling great and was casuing me discomfort. I think it has more to do with the type of movement causing added pressure buildup in the midsection. I've taped myself doing the lifts and read and watched countless vids out there and learned as much as possible about the form and it doesn't seem like i'm doing anything radically different than say what Rippetoe suggests.