Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting kung fu training from Colombia

Interesting kung fu training from Colombia

Have a look at this video clip from Colombia. Opinions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37z_X...eature=related

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    turning his back with flashy kicks to much. Not bad sparring just to much wasted movements. Why stop it on the ground let him fight his way back up. Was this a test of some sort? What's up with the ref. stopping the fights and tapping on his neck??

Anyways, overall I counted like 5-6 times the guy turned his back while throwing that spinning side thrust and got taken down. He started to become predictable at the start of every fight throwing it.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Sparring wasn't too bad, like DB mentioned, the one guy turned his back way too often with that spinning side thrust. One of the problems you fall into with spin kicks is not setting them up. After you do it 3 or 4 times with the same set up like this guy did, it's not hard to see it coming and counter.

Also, hands were too far down on both of these guys. Wasted movement not only does nothing to throw off the opponent, but burns energy and tires one out quickly. Keep the hands up in a good guard position, and move the head rather than the hands. Waving your hands around in the air doesn't do anything to protect your head, but good head movement will throw an opponent off and make targeting much more difficult.

I also feel that many of these hands down stances come from pulled punches to the head. Anyone who has felt a couple stiff jabs from someone who knows how to throw them would quickly abandon the hands down method and start working with a better guard.

All in all, not bad overall. The guy looked sh**it a**ss tired and it looked to be a test so often times you won't put on the best performance after enduring this kind of thing for 4 or 5 hours, at least that's how we do it in Pai Lum.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

a little better than some of the stuff I see out there claiming to be kung fu. As said no turn back unless you have both oppononets arms locked and are about to throw. also I feel all fighting should not stop until someone taps. when we spar, if studens get a take down or sweep or a trip or caught kick whatever, we go the the ground then we ground fight until someone taps. Any other way of training will be inaccurate version of what can happpen on the street, there will be no one there to stop the fight... unless the cops are called then I teach run fu
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

the 1 on 1 sparring was not really that good, it suffered from the usual problems alot of TCMA has, lack of proper protective equipment meant an unwillingness to engage in actual anything like hard sparring: so neither wanted to or was used to actually punching the head hard which meant neither was used to taking shots and as such turned their backs when it did get heavy, both held their hands too low because of the above and lack of grappling menat too many kicks and side on stances

the 2 on 1 stuff was better,

I don't think there was a clearly defined goal/ strategy. They had some techniques but they didn’t know how to put them together.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

frost,
    the 1 on 1 sparring was not really that good, it suffered from the usual problems alot of TCMA has, lack of proper protective equipment meant an unwillingness to engage in actual anything like hard sparring: so neither wanted to or was used to actually punching the head hard which meant neither was used to taking shots and as such turned their backs when it did get heavy, both held their hands too low because of the above and lack of grappling
    and can you tell me what usual problems with TCMA is???

MMA you think its good becuse they dont wear protective gear either, what makes it better?
    I fought for years full on with a cup and a mouth piece. even illegal pit fights granted when I was learning/sparring I used to wear chin pads head and foot gear but this was when i was 16 in crappy tournements fighting for trophies. Last time I check the UFC wears gloves cup and mouthpiece.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Too much posturing, not enough power, their enthusiasim was good, but their attempts at throws were pretty bad.
    The lack of safety gear, like Frost mentioned, made it less realistic and honest than it could have been ( there seemed to be rules against head shots).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    frost,

and can you tell me what usual problems with TCMA is???

MMA you think its good becuse they dont wear protective gear either, what makes it better?
    I fought for years full on with a cup and a mouth piece. even illegal pit fights granted when I was learning/sparring I used to wear chin pads head and foot gear but this was when i was 16 in crappy tournements fighting for trophies. Last time I check the UFC wears gloves cup and mouthpiece.
    Is English your first language, not being funny I am having a hard time following your post here so I thought id check?

the usual problem I referred to was not using proper protective equipment in sparring, proper sized gloves mouth piece etc, I have seen too many clips like this where because they don’t wear boxing gloves they don’t actually hit to the head or make real contact on the odd occasion the do, which allows for too many bad habits that were seen in this clip: namely low hands, high chins, no head movement and an inability to react under pressure (seen here as the guy keeps turning his back when the pressure is on)

does this apply to all TCMA no but alot of the clips out there have this problem

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    So ED do you think that most MMA guys spar without protective gear when they go round?
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Greetings,

I did not see much in the areas of confidence and foundation. The techniques that were used showed a serious lack of refinement.

mickey

Thank you all for your comments. I don't really have any strong opinions about this school, other than the fact that they are at least trying to be functional.

I have no idea about this school, nor their style, other than the fact that they are called Dragon Amarillo, "Yellow Dragon". I might research them further when I have more time.

Meanwhile, here is another video clip of them. This includes multiple opponent fighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbngB...eature=related

awesome pants; where can I get a pair like those?

not bad, kind of weird as far as clothing goes. I mean, who dresses like that?

and if you are going to go full contact, a couple of safety precautions to that end are always good.

if you are bare knuckle fighting, then that's great, but the intention needs to be corrected.

trying to get too fancy will get your map rearranged too, so, beware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Thank you all for your comments. I don't really have any strong opinions about this school, other than the fact that they are at least trying to be functional.
    Hate to point out the obvious here, but it seems like someone who was one of the few people to have actually studied "real kung fu" would have had a definite and immediate opinion on this. I mean, if you've done the realz, you'd know right away.