Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What the F^ck is wrong with modern martial art?

problem i have wit american kung fu is everyone is a winner. no matter how much ur student suck ass, unless he pedofile or something they never get kicked out. american sifus are too desperate for students.
    american kung fu people always see kung fu thru the tainted eyes of an american. they never learned anything about chinese culture

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

By all means, if some of you insist on being how you are in regards to how you communicate with others, that's fine.

Truthfully, you will have more doors closed to you and even less understanding than you have now.

enjoy your workouts. I enjoy mine!

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    problem i have wit american kung fu is everyone is a winner. no matter how much ur student suck ass, unless he pedofile or something they never get kicked out. american sifus are too desperate for students.
    american kung fu people always see kung fu thru the tainted eyes of an american. they never learned anything about chinese culture
    what is there to learn pray tell?

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    problem i have wit american kung fu is everyone is a winner.
    people in america do think this. That's the problem. The heart of the problem. Because everyone is not a winner. You always have to have a loser. Promoting yourself to always believing you are always a winning is a very dangerous thought pattern. Makes you over confident, arrogant, egotistical etc. The major problems americans have today. Most people from other countries b!tch at americans for this very thing. America is full of itself with little to no humility.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    By all means, if some of you insist on being how you are in regards to how you communicate with others, that's fine.

Truthfully, you will have more doors closed to you and even less understanding than you have now.

enjoy your workouts. I enjoy mine!
    nice job whipping out the "you dont have the secret stuff" card before you leave.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    nice job whipping out the "you dont have the secret stuff" card before you leave.
    There is nothing secret about good manners and the fact that they are taught and not built in with people.

There is nothing secret about how guidance to diligence forges good character in a person and that it is not there built in.

A good sword is fired and hammered many times.

A good person is the same.

No work = No result

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    kinda like the race card around here seriously.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

There is nothing secret about good manners and the fact that they are taught and not built in with people.

There is nothing secret about how guidance to diligence forges good character in a person and that it is not there built in.

No work = No result

Manners have nothing to do with martial arts

No work = No result
    This is true, but why is it the job of martial arts instructors to teach these mannerisms. They should be taught to a child by parents or parent. This whole respect driven love thy neighbor BS gets really old. Hell, I thought you were an atheist!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Manners have nothing to do with martial arts
    They have everything to do with Kung Fu.

Martial arts is what it is. Kung Fu is not martial arts in scope alone or by the very definition of it.

Frankly I am surprised at how many of the so called "mma supporter" crowd here have failed to make that connection.

Kung Fu envelopes more than fighting. If one would like to focus only on that, they surely can, but if someone wants to learn Kung Fu, they will be guided towards their own Kung Fu which is to cultivate the entirety of the person.

I don't have that disconnect, why should you?

what is there to learn pray tell?
    be strong and have honor

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

They have everything to do with Kung Fu.

Martial arts is what it is. Kung Fu is not martial arts in scope alone or by the very definition of it.

Frankly I am surprised at how many of the so called "mma supporter" crowd here have failed to make that connection.

Kung Fu envelopes more than fighting. If one would like to focus only on that, they surely can, but if someone wants to learn Kung Fu, they will be guided towards their own Kung Fu which is to cultivate the entirety of the person.

I don't have that disconnect, why should you?
    because my opinion of martial arts isnt influenced by kung fu movies and quasi mystical nonsense that isnt in touch with reality. the idea behind punching and kicking someone isnt to develop moral character its to hurt them and nothing more.

You're muddling fighting with martial arts, goju

That's an intrinsic problem with many of the arguments here. Fighting does not equal martial arts. I know plenty of fighters that are very effective and don't practice any martial arts. By adding the suffix of 'art' you naturally elevate martial arts to a level above just fighting. Sure, fighting is a root element, but there's more than just that. Even in MMA, there's more than just fighting. There's the sport of it - the notion of fair competition.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

because my opinion of martial arts isnt influenced by kung fu movies and quasi mystical nonsense that isnt in touch with reality. the idea behind punching and kicking someone isnt to develop moral character its to hurt them and nothing more.
    I don't watch chop sockey flicks per se. Let it be known.

I don't think your opinion of martial arts is influenced by a Kung Fu sifu either.

Like I said elsewhere, if it is your goal to only punch or kick or rather to learn to fight, then a Kung Fu school is probably not the best place for you as you will not enjoy all the other aspects.

People who favour the visceral act of fighting will not change the actual process of gaining Kung Fu in ones life.

I don't know why people bother trying. As if their few short years on the planet and their limited experience in any way trumps a mindform and a construct that is nearly ageless.

It's laughable to read such things actually.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    be strong and have honor
    Seems rather limited in scope don't you think?
    Can you expand on that?