Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What the F^ck is wrong with modern martial art?

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Doesn't matter who the audience is. I can't imagine a functional sport model fighter making that claim and not getting laughed at by the entire community as a fraud.
    The show is practically a cartoon and it was obviously a lark. I mean, who gets serious with spike TV?

lol

nevertheless, the entire community doesn't laugh at Mr.Lew. He is quite highly respected as a Kung Fu practitioner and teacher as far as I know. I am guessing that's probably why they asked him to talk to them anyway.

There is no bad publicity when you are already famous by the way.

p.s, what's a crotch ripper?

OK, so let me ask you a serious question:

When you see clips like the one where the guy was talking about doing that, are you embarrassed that someone would make a completely unsubstantiated claim like that for something that you have dedicated yourself to?
    Bro it's tv, scripted by people who know nothing about martial art. A smart man lucky enough to get that sort of work says the lines, acts the part and cashes the checks.
    Reputation is everything. If someone says oh he's a great guy, great to work with, you keep getting work. Make waves, miss kissing some ass you're out. That's tv. They hire their friends and then force them to kickback 3/4s of their pay for getting them the job. They pimp their mothers and eat their young.

Am I embarrassed by his claims not one bit. I don't watch tv. I am not dedicated to what he does.

The only person representing me is me. Who am I? A daily practitioner....
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    The show is practically a cartoon and it was obviously a lark. I mean, who gets serious with spike TV?

nevertheless, the entire community doesn't laugh at Mr.Lew. He is quite highly respected as a Kung Fu practitioner and teacher as far as I know. I am guessing that's probably why they asked him to talk to them anyway.

There is no bad publicity when you are already famous by the way.
    Doesn't Spike have the Ultimate Fighter on? Do you think they would make statements like that. Do you think MMA people would start rationalizing a statement like that the way you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Bro it's tv, scripted by people who know nothing about martial art. A smart man lucky enough to get that sort of work says the lines, acts the part and cashes the checks.
    Reputation is everything. If someone says oh he's a great guy, great to work with, you keep getting work. Make waves, miss kissing some ass you're out. That's tv. They hire their friends and then force them to kickback 3/4s of their pay for getting them the job. They pimp their mothers and eat their young.

Am I embarrassed by his claims not one bit. I don't watch tv. I am not dedicated to what he does.

The only person representing me is me. Who am I? A daily practitioner....
    Hmmm... you think it's OK to lie and make up stuff about kung fu on TV, yet you get upset here when people make statements about kung fu that you don't agree with.

Seems pretty contradictory to me.

Hmmm... you think it's OK to lie and make up stuff about kung fu on TV, yet you get upset here when people make statements about kung fu that you don't agree with.

Seems pretty contradictory to me.
    So let me get this straight;
    you've never seen an instance EVER where something on tv was lie
    Now you're blaming me for their institutionalized bullsh!t?

Dale put down the blunt and do a hit of oxygen
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    folk tales? no. historical treatises and works of ruminations related to the subject are much more enlightening on the matter than folk tales.

folk tales are all too often highly anecdotal or completely allegorical in scope and intent. so, they can provide insight in context to the here and now, or not, but not a lot beyond that.

However, records, compiled and formatted for understanding in context to the subject? Jackpot! And those are absolutely available to anyone who wants to look for them.

I never seek medical advice from a plumber, why should you? (allegory)
    Aaaaaaand those records are clogged with mentions of bandits and an assortment of criminals as Bawang pointed out and you tried to excuse. In fact theres more mentions of that than the fairy tale saintly fu manchu sporting sifu you would like to imagine exsisted.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

So let me get this straight;
    you've never seen an instance EVER where something on tv was lie
    Now you're blaming me for their institutionalized bullsh!t?

Dale put down the blunt and do a hit of oxygen
    The guy was obviously making stuff up. Somebody posted a clip of it and made fun of that clip. You offered to buy him a ticket to go visit the guy because you took offense with that.

Who should put down the blunt?

Doesn't Spike have the Ultimate Fighter on? Do you think they would make statements like that. Do you think MMA people would start rationalizing a statement like that the way you are doing.
    Martial art has ALWAYS BEEN MISREPRESENTED in the media. I never worry over anything out of my direct control.

Back to the real world this is how I learned and teach martial art.

VALUES AND PRINCIPLES

Teach the art to any one regardless of age, sex, race, color, or nationality who is willing to learn and have no motives to defame and disrupt the class or issues of the art for unethical and/or illegal purposes.

Spread the teachings of the art via the most efficient and economic means thereby reaching as many willing students as possible.

Present the martial arts in all aspects. i.e., as means for self-defense, sport, physical training, philosophy, entertainment, performance, science, health, healing, discipline, meditation, mental development, confidence building, sportsmanship, art, history, culture, etc.

Cultivate the martial arts as a vehicle for developing friendship, teamwork, communications and cooperation, and not as means for dominance, suppression, control and undue influence over others.

Present the art in its most realistic form refraining from trickery, myths, deceptions, and supernatural claims.

Produce students that appreciate and understand the martial arts but not necessarily be experts or champions.

Develop successors who can carry the responsibility of continuing and expanding the missions and principles of the class by proper teaching of the art and most important of all, the philosophy and ethics.

Continue to better the Northern Shaolim style of martial arts via the processes of actual practice and applications of the teachings leading to re-evaluation, discovery, and understanding.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

BTW, didn't this thread start with you arguing for morality and integrity coming from TMA's and being destroyed by MMA.

Yet, it's OK to lie and make stuff up for kids watching Spike TV who probably don't know any better?

Doesn't sound so moral to me.

Oh you don't know me very well do you. You started talking sh!t to me and I told you to go f^ck yourself now you're panties are in a bunch?
    Go practice your PRC Wu Shu
    I was referring to your apoplectic histrionics with another member on another thread.

Not the name dropping bull**** you tried to pull in PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

The guy was obviously making stuff up. Somebody posted a clip of it and made fun of that clip. You offered to buy him a ticket to go visit the guy because you took offense with that.

Who should put down the blunt?
    You're missing something;
    DB and I tease and flame one another in an ongoing relationship of mutual contempt
    I offered to buy him a ticket so I might meet him and punish him with redbelly redbelly redbelly and noogies

Why so serious leg humper?
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

The cross road on the path in a life of martial art is where one either chooses to focus on brawn and brute force emphasizing “what works” driven by ruthless intent void of the very concept of compassion.

These men are strong and formidable until suddenly as they age (badly) they develop back problems, hair loss, knee problems, mental illness, post traumatic stress syndrome. internal disfunction, liver cancer, followed by sudden chronic dispersion of muscular energy, deterioration of mental function followed by death.

At this same cross road there is the choice of self cultivation via martial art. Regimen of meditation, flexibility maintenance, internal cultivation, conscious exercise in breath control, healing arts, self reflection, music studies, writing, poetry, deductive reasoning, self reflection coupled with consistent daily martial cultivation in open hand and weapons. A vast majority of these people radiate health, are calm, kind, skilled and refined in combat as the radiate compassion and empathy.

Naturally both these examples are broad generalizations in the big picture yet I can bare witness to many friends and class mates who are healthy active fighters at 60, 70, 80 and 90+. A dear friend dedicated to martial art and yoga passed recently at 94. Very flexible and moved with energy and steadiness.

Getting to my point:
    One of the sad things about this forum IMHO is a lack of respect in our exchanges with one another. Yes there are trolls, comedians and trouble makers that are outnumbered by gentleman practitioners and enthusiasts.

As much as we disagree in discussion we all gather here because of our common interest in martial art. No matter what system you practice, if you have any type of skill it did not come easy. This is our bond of commonality. We can all relate from our shared experience of bitter work on the path to skill.

Respect?
    Wu De translates as a Martial Code of Conduct.

Wu De is the Chinese martial arts code of appropriate social interaction. Ethics and etiquette is ingrained not only in the culture of China but also pervades throughout the philosophy that holds the society together.

There are five points in Wu De: Respect, Humility, Trust, Virtue, and Honor.

Respect (Zun Jing; 尊敬)
    The term respect means to acknowledge the feelings and interests of another in a relationship and treating the other at a standard that rules out selfish behavior. Respect is derived not by behavior but by one's attitude. Respect is appreciated as demonstrating a sense of worth or value of a person, a personal quality or ability. In martial arts, respect is the cornerstone of all the teachings of martial arts. In regards to Wu De, respect begins with the individual and manifests outward meaning that those who respect themselves as well as others will, in turn, be respected. Respect must be earned as well as displayed. This is why we bow and why we use titles.

Humility (Qian Xu; 谦逊)

The term humility is the quality or characteristic of a person that is unpretentious and modest. Humility comes with controlling ones pride and ego. Pride and ego are the killers of good martial arts and good character. When we allow our own pride and ego to infiltrate our rational judgment we start to make decisions based on self-pride and not solid facts. When your ego and pride take over you will become satisfied with yourself and stop thinking deeply. Try daily to display humility in everything you do. Train for yourself and not the title or color around your waist. Keep your cup of tea empty allowing yourself to always learn.
    "The taller the bamboo grows, the lower it bows." - Chinese Proverb

Trust (Xin Yong: 信用)

Who do you trust? Do people trust you? Trust is the belief that a person is of good character and will seek to fulfill promises, policies, ethical codes, and the law. In martial arts, we make a promise to ourselves, the school, and the teacher. When starting a school or job there are underlying trusts that both parties expect to have in place such as safety, compensation, and knowing what is in each others best interest. In martial arts it is a breach of trust to ask for more knowledge from the instructor. Excessive questioning suggests that the student knows the material well enough to advance. Advancing is at the discretion of the instructor, not the student.
    Understand that sometimes routine instruction is for your own good as it allows you to become proficient at the art. Trust the path you take is the right one. At times instruction may seem to contradict itself. Know that perceived contradiction is one-dimensional. The instruction you receive is designed to help you navigate the correct concepts of the art.

Honor (Rong Yu; 榮譽)

Martial art has many strong connections to honor. We honor our art, ourselves, and our ancestors by showing loyalty and having the will to train while simultaneously maintaining wisdom about our training. To give loyalty is to honor the art through belief in the practices and wisdom of the people that have lived and died in perfecting the art so that it could be passed on to future generations. We should honor the people who came before us not because they were all superior but rather as Sir Isaac Newton said: "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    Virtue (Dao De; 道德)

The idea of virtue in Chinese thought pertains to the notion of character. Framework for this concept is given through the four classical virtues of; temperance, prudence, courage, and justice.

Temperance is moderation. When we engage in any activity we should approach it with moderation in order to maintain rationality and balance in every facet of our world. Martial arts will enrich our life, not necessarily consume it. One of the goals in martial arts is to take the knowledge and self-discovery from the training hall and apply its principles to daily life.

Prudence is the act of having sound judgment over all ones affairs in life. In life it is prudent to look at situations that manifest and show wisdom and insight by drawing on facts, knowledge, and experience. It is ideal to be mindful and weigh the outcome of any action.

Courage is the ability to act when confronted by fear. Fear can be physical and mental. The former entails being frightened by the environment, a person, or a thing. The latter concerns mainly a fear of failure. With martial arts one can move through life with courage by accepting its challenges and not being tied down by fear.
    The notion of Justice has been debated for over 2500 years. A wise master asks that the individual applies justice by reviewing the facts, the research,and then taking the course of action that he/she knows within their heart as correct.
    Justice combines all virtues and components of Wu De into one application. To apply Wu De in our everyday life is being just. As martial artists we should hold ourselves to a very high standard of character.
    Lao Shi Yungeberg

I apologize for my playful jabs at some of the most obnoxious in our group but I hope these words may act as a catalyst guide toward a more harmonious interacting in our discussions?

Peace

PS
    I predict this post will naturally be followed by a brigade of morons posting absolute nonsense unrelated to the original post....

Beautiful... my thoughts exactly...

in 20-30 years we will see how they deal with being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease from all the head trauma...
    while they are are shaking through their latter years I will be doing my forms in the mountains
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    I was referring to your apoplectic histrionics with another member on another thread.

Not the name dropping bull**** you tried to pull in PM.
    Yea it's called irony a tool often used in high comedy.
    Almost always slips by smart as sed pea brains like yourself.
    Everyone here knows you live with your mom

-Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    Aaaaaaand those records are clogged with mentions of bandits and an assortment of criminals as Bawang pointed out and you tried to excuse. In fact theres more mentions of that than the fairy tale saintly fu manchu sporting sifu you would like to imagine exsisted.
    No, no they aren't.

Bawang mentioned 3 books. I haven't read them, but I am sure they do not attribute complex martial arts systems to mere thugs.

violence inflicted on others doesn't equal martial arts. Perhaps that's where the disconnect is.

there is in fact, a training manual and treatise from the early 1500's (1521 i think) from Shaolin about use of the Staff (gwun). that is highly praised by a well known general of the era.

This is actually a cool chapter in Meir Sharars book "The Shaolin Monastery".

In ch'an, there is a lot of material that regards human conflict on a physical level. Of course, tehre aren't a lot of books about it, but ch'an (zen) is a treasure accredited to the Shaolin Temple as far as it's creation and development go before being spread out into the world and to this day included iwth martial arts training of several stripes.

There are plenty of manuals regarding all sorts of kung fu styles that go back way before the formation of PRC competitive wushu.

And of course, as there is a lot of oral tradition in chinese martial arts, house records are not always out there in the public.

criminals commit violence. Kung Fu is not created by the antithesis of itself.

You see why that seems so ridiculous to put forth?

I think Bawang has trolled your core beliefs. lol

The ultimate fighter? You mean the delinquents that rub one off on each others pillows, spit in each others coffee, cry about how hard it is to do what they are doing and the occasional useful bits coming from the guys hired to train the current batch of wannabes?

really? you don't take that seriously do you? Because it is also cartoons really designed again for 16 year old mentalities.

you don't really watch that stuff do you? It's like big brother, but occasionally has some fighting in the octagon on it.

completely different bag of apples. How about that fight science show they do or ninja vs spartan garbage.

it's tv dude. you gotta chill when it comes to tv. it means nothing.