Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Kungs / skills / feats of strength are they needed?

[QUOTE=David Jamieson;1056931]you are comparing broad and varied practices with the claims of one person.

you are saying in essence that this one person encompasses all of kung fu.

this is how you construct your strawmen.

almost every time.

Are you actually saying that people who do BJJ, run, lift do mma don't talk shyte?

hahahahahahahaha. That's called "omniwrong"
    Of course they do and they get called on it all the time... fake bjj black belts; Rickson's 400-0 record; Helio being undefeated even though he got his arm broken by Kimura; cheating marathon runners, etc, etc.

[QUOTE=Knifefighter;1056935]
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    you are comparing broad and varied practices with the claims of one person.

you are saying in essence that this one person encompasses all of kung fu.

this is how you construct your strawmen.

almost every time.

Of course they do and they get called on it all the time... fake bjj black belts; Rickson's 400-0 record; Helio being undefeated even though he got his arm broken by Kimura; cheating marathon runners, etc, etc.
    Now you have just contradicted what you originally said.
    which is it?

Now you have just contradicted what you originally said.
    which is it?
    What are you referring to? What am I contradicting?

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    What are you referring to? What am I contradicting?
    I am referring to your statement that more or less says that bjj, running lifting etc doesn't have it's own people that present their own fallacies.

I guess you could drill out of that by saying you were specific about the hand vs car door, but that still doesn't make sense in context because you were talking about one guy (who apparently is mentally stunted) and making him the representative of kung fu whilst your likes were dropped in with a much broader stroke of "bjj, running etc don't make claims of..."

Kung Fu has it's flakes and it has it's bad asses and it has it's great, insightful and thoughtful teachers and practitioners. It's not just a lump of stuff that is all the same.

Just like bjj has it's flakes, bad asses and bush1tters as well, as does any organized physical endeavour.

at least with kung fu, by the time a person gets some, they realize that they are alone with it.

I am referring to your statement that more or less says that bjj, running lifting etc doesn't have it's own people that present their own fallacies.

I guess you could drill out of that by saying you were specific about the hand vs car door, but that still doesn't make sense in context because you were talking about one guy (who apparently is mentally stunted) and making him the representative of kung fu whilst your likes were dropped in with a much broader stroke of "bjj, running etc don't make claims of..."

Kung Fu has it's flakes and it has it's bad asses and it has it's great, insightful and thoughtful teachers and practitioners. It's not just a lump of stuff that is all the same.

Just like bjj has it's flakes, bad asses and bush1tters as well, as does any organized physical endeavour.

at least with kung fu, by the time a person gets some, they realize that they are alone with it.
    Sports have their share of b.s. That much is true. Not nearly as much as the TMA b.s. though.

Sports have less because the very nature of sport requires evidence, duplication, and actual application.

Both benefit from having the b.s. pointed out. I've already pointed out some of the the bjj b.s. Kind of ironic that you gave me a hard time for doing that also.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 11-04-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sports have less because the very nature of sport requires evidence, duplication, and actual application.
    that right there is what's gonna give TCMA a swift kick in the butt to get moving.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    The TCMA Kung training is more than just "iron palm" and "iron vest". Every combat skill has a Kung training to help to "enhance" your skill. If you bear hug and lift your heavy bag off the ground 100 times daily, your chance to bear hug and lift your opponent off the ground in combat will be higher. If you train your roundhouse kick on heavy bag long enough, your shin bone will be able to take more pain when your shin bone meet your opponent's shin bone. That's just common sense. There is no mistry about it. If you can't get your arms around your opponent's waist, your strong "bear hug" will mean nothing. If you can't deliever your strong round house kick to your opponent's head, your strong roundhouse kick will mean nothing. The TCMA Kung training can only "enhance" your combat skill after you have "develop" it through 2 men drills and sparring. The Kung by itself is not combat skill.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-04-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    that right there is what's gonna give TCMA a swift kick in the butt to get moving.
    I seriously doubt that. We have GOT to stop saying TCMA is/isn't this or that. I mean come on - TCMA = Traditional Chinese Martial Arts = many styles = many sub-styles = many teachers = many students = many countries = many schools and so on. We can NOT lump it all under one roof.

Personally, I have seen many different TCMA with "evidence, duplication, and actual application" in regards to all of the things that most MMA folks here (TCMA nay-sayers) touch on - forms, kungs, fighting, etc. If it's not there, then yeah, that person, that teacher or that school maybe can be blamed, but "TCMA" as a whole?
    Sorry, but no.
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Blog Entries
    ok....................

lol sorry
    Just found this thread and was reading it through and getting a bit "heated" up from the mma-ers. Not sure if what I said above makes much sense but oh well :P
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

Blog Entries
    lol sorry
    Just found this thread and was reading it through and getting a bit "heated" up from the mma-ers. Not sure if what I said above makes much sense but oh well :P
    hey vent away dude. one thing i have learned from this forum is that haters are everywhere so i never take nothin personal. not calling you a hater but you are heated LOL.......we've all had enough bickering around here. it weighs really heavy. yeah you make sense, but you gotta admit there are come gung fu crack pots out there too.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    hey vent away dude. one thing i have learned from this forum is that haters are everywhere so i never take nothin personal. not calling you a hater but you are heated LOL.......we've all had enough bickering around here. it weighs really heavy. yeah you make sense, but you gotta admit there are come gung fu crack pots out there too.
    Thanks.
    Oh I know what you mean and definitely admit the crack-pots are out there. The problem is that the TCMA-naysayers are using the crackpots as poster children for the entirety. And that just ****es me off. Oddly enough I'm usually fairly quiet about this type of thing (at least online), but every now and then I get a bit heated. :P

Blog Entries
    i feel you on that. enjoy the peace while it lasts. there are more of dem knuckle head muddachukka's out there.

there will always be people who talk tough and get mouthy... but tcma has the biggest share of unsubstantiated claims... imo... you dont really hear mma cats talking about stuff they dont do everyday... granted they can be d!cks about it, like any sport, but you dont really hear them make the kind of claims and then never back them up like you find in tcma... all these old frauds that would get their face stomped in by any street fighter with ZERO training needs to remove the self defence claim from their cirriculum... doing it for other reasons, albiet debatable at times, i dont have any issue with... i believe there are truly effective styles, but very very very few and far between... nobody in mma who never fought anybody could ever get away with having people call him "master"... he'd get exposed right away... as soon as he participated with real fighters his true colors and lack of skills will shine... ofcourse some people are stupid enough to not test these types ands still learn from them, but they dont compete... ofcourse theres always exeptions to any rule...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    there will always be people who talk tough and get mouthy... but tcma has the biggest share of unsubstantiated claims... imo...
    you dont really hear mma cats talking about stuff they dont do everyday... granted they can be d!cks about it, like any sport, but you dont really hear them make the kind of claims and then never back them up like you find in tcma... all these old frauds that would get their face stomped in by any street fighter with ZERO training needs to remove the self defence claim from their cirriculum... doing it for other reasons, albiet debatable at times, i dont have any issue with... i believe there are truly effective styles, but very very very few and far between... nobody in mma who never fought anybody could ever get away with having people call him "master"... he'd get exposed right away... as soon as he participated with real fighters his true colors and lack of skills will shine... ofcourse some people are stupid enough to not test these types ands still learn from them, but they dont compete... ofcourse theres always exeptions to any rule...
    TCMA makes ZERO "claims". People do.