Thread: Is kyokushinkai a karate style or a kickboxing style?

phantom Guest

Is kyokushinkai a karate style or a kickboxing style?

I always thought it was a Japanese karate style, but I have recently seen people refer to it as kickboxing. Who is right? Also, do all kyokushinkai schools spar full-contact without any protective gear? Finally, how practical is this style for the street? Thank you for any insight that you can give me concerning this topic.

Juggler Guest

Kyokushin

In my limited knowledge, Kyokushinkai is a style of Karate - and a good one at that!

Kempo Guy Guest
    Mas Oyama's Kyokushinkai Karate is a synthesis of several arts. I believe Sosai Oyama trained in Goju Ryu and Shotokan in addition to his training in Tae Kyon (?). He is also known to have integrated material from Muay Thai and Aikijutsu into Kyokushin.

Kyokushinkai are known for their fighting abilities and practice sparring without protection. However there are certain restrictions (for instance they allow no punches to the face). This style of fighting is often referred to as knockdown Karate. Many styles have developed from Kyokushinkai such as Ashihara, Enshin, Seidokan, Oyama Karate and several others and they are all known to be very strong (practical) fighting styles.

As for it's practicality in a street situation, I would think this would be up to the individual practitioner. They certainly are taught the tools (at least for stand up fighting) and also are heavy into conditioning the body, which would be an asset in a street altercation.

I don't know if this answered your questions. If not feel free to ask me questions directly at kempoguy@mailcity.com. Although I no longer practice Kyokushin I may be able to answer some questions or direct you to a another source...

KG

S.Teebas Guest
    I used to practice this style of karate, and can say that it is extremely effective on the street. The school has very high standards (at-least the school i learnt from did) they dont hand you a belt for nothing...you really have to earn it.

But just live everything , you get out of it what you put into it. If your looking for a hard karate style then this is for you...i left because it appeard to me to be a very external style, and i couldnt compete with the bigger guys in the class. I would throw a punch and their block would feel like steel....and i didnt want to punch much after avbout 3 punches...arms in pain. so yes to answer your question they do train har contact. They dont knock you out in class...but it's **** hard training.

frosh2786 Guest
    if this is so effective a style why dont they get a good student of theirs to fight in the ufc or something? that would be cool to see.

rogue Guest
    That would be cool, though their fighters are usually pretty busy in the full contact karate arenas. Still, it's something that I'd like to see.

inyo Guest

Is kyokushinkai???

Kyokushikai is a style of karate foUnded by mas oyama who studied the 18 lohan--kempo in korea as a boy before moving to japan and subsequently trained in FUNAKOSHI GICHINS--"SHOTOKAN" T

inyo Guest

Is kyokushinkai???

2nd attempt computer f-up--KYOKUSHINKAI is a style of karate founded by Maso Yama who trained in chinese kempo as a boy and then moved to japan at the age of 12 where he trained in Funakoshi Gichins "SHOTOKAN"to ni-dan(2nd)and then in 'GOJU RYU' under Sodeiju to yon-dan(4 th).He incorporated into his training the precepts of"ZEN" and "SHINTO',and for several years lived the life of an aesthetic --Living and training in the mountains,meditating under waterfalls etc,he develped a high level of self discipline ,both mentally and physically.He is renowned for his strength and awesome power,from his training he created"KYOKUSHINKAI KARATE". This style of karate is powerful,with a strong emphasis placed on conditioning the body,tamashaweri(breaking),developing power and fighting spirit.KYOKUSHIN--fighters are formidable opponents and should be given plenty of respect.oossuu!!!

Kung Lek Guest
    Hi-

A guy I used to work with is a top level (ranked 6th in the world K3 2000)Kyokushin Kai fighter. He has his own website that has links to all the important stuff about this style.
    They (kyokushin stylists) are hard core stand up strikers.
    it is a formidable style of karate, moreso than many other karate styles. it is known as "The Strongest Karate"

anyway, you can find out a lot about it and it's founder Mas Oyama at his site. it is located at http://www.diegobeltran.com

peace

Kung Lek