Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: light skill vs strength

Blog Entries
    Ya see what I mean, folks? These are the myths you are perpetuating.
    to be fair....i can't go into details, but let's just say a certain someone from a certain known gung fu school used a finger strike to the throat and actually killed the person. so it does work. not everyone trains it the right way...but it does work.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    to be fair....i can't go into details, but let's just say a certain someone from a certain known gung fu school used a finger strike to the throat and actually killed the person. so it does work. not everyone trains it the right way...but it does work.
    Yeah, and certain baseball people have been killed by baseballs to the chest. Doesn't make it not a fluke.

Not to stir a hornets nest KF, but what he's saying about flicking the eye isn't a myth or some super power.
    You've never caught your eyeball accidentally with the tip of your finger while brushing something off your face and had your visibility impaired for a moment? It's just a flick of the fingers to the eyes, or in the case he's talking about, using the edge of the chinese fan to "cut" the eye. Same thing, fingers, or edge of weapon, it's nothing mystical.
    Pulling it off effectively, eh... hard to do and impractical, but still a legitimate "dirty" tactic if you can pull it off in close quarters.
    It's not like he's saying to chi blast his eyes out or something.

Anyways, back on with the show.

Quote Originally Posted by iunojupiter View Post
    Not to stir a hornets nest KF, but what he's saying about flicking the eye isn't a myth or some super power.
    You've never caught your eyeball accidentally with the tip of your finger while brushing something off your face and had your visibility impaired for a moment? It's just a flick of the fingers to the eyes, or in the case he's talking about, using the edge of the chinese fan to "cut" the eye. Same thing, fingers, or edge of weapon, it's nothing mystical.
    Pulling it off effectively, eh... hard to do and impractical, but still a legitimate "dirty" tactic if you can pull it off in close quarters.
    It's not like he's saying to chi blast his eyes out or something.

Anyways, back on with the show.
    I'm the king of biting, eye gouges (my great uncle fought rough and tumble in the late 1800's and I could show you exactly how he pulled someone's eye out), jam cr@p in someone's throat, etc. You don't do it with little flickies, though.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    my first Sifu, a Northern practitioner, had long nails. he once flicked them across my hing-dai's throat lightly, and opened up a welt right across. When he took us down, he would stick them right in our chest-youch!

Now, do I think that they are something usefull and worth developing? No.
    I play guitar, use Charmin toilet paper, and play with wiminz.
    You also can't do SC with long nails. I found that out the hard way-and my nails weren't even long-we were doing jacket grab and pulls, and I bent back a nail, almost ripped it off. Freakin hurt for days.
    Although they might be good in cleaning your ears....

I think hand speed, and short, explosive shocking power is a skill worth developing. Being able to grab and jerk someone so abruptly that their head snaps, is very disorienting, and leads to other techniques, takedowns, etc.
    Anyone who's been on the recieving end, knows what I am referring to.
    If not, look up a good SC guy.
    Grabbing them by the hair and doing the same thing is a thing of beauty.
    A good bicep pop is a skill worth developing.
    Being able to slam someone in the chest with your two palms and send them flying is a good skill. I had a friend who was a bouncer in a "Gentleman's Club" who could send a guy through the doors with this.
    (I'm sure there's a cool Tai-Chi name for this.)

Light body skills is actually a pretty broad term.
    For the most part, it is not jumping onto rooftops.
    In some schools, it is quick, agile footwork, while maintaining rooting.
    For others it may be jumping, dodging, and closing the distance from further away.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Oh,
    Collapsing the trachea with a stiff finger strike, not impossible either. Not like you're going to do it every fight, but it sounds cool. What he's saying sounds feasible, but I doubt you're going to be doing that in practice or in reality as a meat and potatoes technique. It sounds more like a "check this cool thing out" and you practice it, say yea, that's awesome, then drop it like it's hot. LMAO.
    the technique may not be something you could pull off easily, but it doesn't sound impossible. I'd have to view to decide otherwise.

and resume, again.

what your saying is true

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    I'm the king of biting, eye gouges (my great uncle fought rough and tumble in the late 1800's and I could show you exactly how he pulled someone's eye out), jam cr@p in someone's throat, etc. You don't do it with little flickies, though.
    But what jd is saying is true also. You don't have to eye gouge to impair their vision briefly, or even cut the eye with a weapon edge. It really only takes a flick of the wrist to cause your finger/weapon to brush the eye. Can you take someones eye out with a flick? Maybe with a nice sharp stick or something, but to just quickly distract or impair their vision, you don't need brute force.
    just saying....

Quote Originally Posted by iunojupiter View Post
    Oh,
    Collapsing the trachea with a stiff finger strike, not impossible either. Not like you're going to do it every fight, but it sounds cool. What he's saying sounds feasible, but I doubt you're going to be doing that in practice or in reality as a meat and potatoes technique. It sounds more like a "check this cool thing out" and you practice it, say yea, that's awesome, then drop it like it's hot. LMAO.
    the technique may not be something you could pull off easily, but it doesn't sound impossible. I'd have to view to decide otherwise.

and resume, again.
    several years back, I'm teaching a female student a trachea grasp from a rear choke. Well, she grsps my trachea a bit too freakin hard, and you could hear the crack.
    Nothing fatal-obviously, and I didn't require medical attention, but it hurt like a bastid, and was sore for months.
    The trachea is cartildge, and is 2/3 exposed-especially in men.
    No, it's not like in Roadhouse....
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Yeah, and certain baseball people have been killed by baseballs to the chest. Doesn't make it not a fluke.
    And we come to the main and primary Law of science:
    REPEATABLE evidence.

I have read about people dying from a baseball to the chest and a hockey stick to the chest and yet, in all my years of Kyokushin and in 1000's of kyokushin matches doen all over the world, every year, where chest punching is the norm, we have NOT ONE fatality or even major injury.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    And we come to the main and primary Law of science:
    REPEATABLE evidence.

I have read about people dying from a baseball to the chest and a hockey stick to the chest and yet, in all my years of Kyokushin and in 1000's of kyokushin matches doen all over the world, every year, where chest punching is the norm, we have NOT ONE fatality or even major injury.
    could be due to weight classes.
    When you look at it, getting a line drive to the chest is striking with tremendous force.
    Two 170 lb guys punching each other might not equal that force.
    Now, take two Kyokushin guys, one 170 lbs, the other 250lbs...you might find different results.
    just sayin..
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Good Movie!

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    several years back, I'm teaching a female student a trachea grasp from a rear choke. Well, she grsps my trachea a bit too freakin hard, and you could hear the crack.
    Nothing fatal-obviously, and I didn't require medical attention, but it hurt like a bastid, and was sore for months.
    What? No Tai Chi tiger claw throat tear? Come ON! Don't ruin my fantasies bro!

It really doesn't take much to damage the trachea, my toddler once caught me during one of his flailing tantrums and bruised it pretty good. Darn kids...

just sayin cause I knew a guy when I trained in Tang Soo Do, who was a former cop. He punched a knife-weilding punk in the head and killed him. He was "asked" to leave the force..
    Now this guy was a farmboy. Grew up carrying drums, hauling stuff. You know the term, "Farmboy strength?" this guy was built like a tank. (looked kinda like Ernest Borgnine...)The kid he punched was a skinny teenager. The punch was right between the eyes.
    "One punch, one kill."

I like to punch the makiwara.
    I like to do palm training.
    It has doubled my power.
    I know this.
    I also know I will never hit as hard as that guy.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 11-04-2010 at 10:05 AM.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

just sayin cause I knew a guy when I trained in Tang Soo Do, who was a former cop. He punched a knife-weilding punk in the head and killed him. He was "asked" to leave the force..
    Now this guy was a farmboy. Grew up carrying drums, hauling stuff. You know the term, "Farmboy strength?" this guy was built like a tank. (looked kinda like Ernest Borgnine...)The kid he punched was a skinny teenager. The punch was right between the eyes.
    "One punch, one kill."

I like to punch the makiwara.
    I like to do palm training.
    It has doubled my power.
    I know this.
    I also know I will never hit as hard as that guy.
    And guess what probably killed the kid? More than likely, it was his head striking the ground, not the punch.

Of course she did. She did it in a non-realistic situation, which is how most of the myths get started. Have her do it when you are really trying to choke her and avoiding her ability to get to your throat and the results are almost always completely different.

Of course she did. She did it in a non-realistic situation, which is how most of the myths get started. Have her do it when you are really trying to choke her and avoiding her ability to get to your throat and the results are almost always completely different.
    point taken-however it does not negate the fact that you can crush a trachea.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.