Thread: Training stories: friend with judo experience

Training stories: friend with judo experience

I'm teaching one guy who has a judo background. Woirking pushhands with him, and he's happy that I allow ankle picks and leg techniques like that, and clinch.

Now, most of the ankle picks I did to him, but what he did have good results with on me was grabbing my lead leg on the outside and doing takedowns from there. After some time, I became more aware of it(as he did my ankle picks) and had a more trained response.

Probably something lots of people have dealt with, just enjoy training with results.

due to Japanese occupation of Taiwan before WWII

they banned chinese MA and promoted judo, kendo and aikido in Taiwan.

so they have strong roots in taiwan.

I was exposed to them, too.

well aikido in particular was and still is quite popular in Taiwan.

---

I meant somebody mentioned that judo is dying off

well judo and aikido are doing very well in taiwan.

that was my point.

Blog Entries
    The ankle pick (leg seize) is a bit harder than the under knee grabbing (knee seize) because you have to get down much lower. Both moves are excellent moves in combat. You get your opponent's leading leg, you then sweep/hook his back leg, your opponent will have no choice but to fall. It's called get 1 first and get the other afterward. I believe this strategy has been banned in the modern Judo (no leg grabbing allowed).

. I believe this strategy has been banned in the modern Judo (no leg grabbing allowed).[/QUOTE]

yes they are, i do it often in judo and get told not to, bao tui in chinese, i learned it from my shuai jiao training in beijing, now i'm back to doing judo,since i'm in southern china and there is no shuai jiao here