Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun groundfighting

Wing Chun groundfighting

does your school cover any groundfighting techiniques/escapes etc....

I always here people say power comes from the ground, So if your on your back on the floor surely your wing chun should be good on the floor????

Quote Originally Posted by Saboi Osmosis View Post

I always here people say power comes from the ground, So if your on your back on the floor surely your wing chun should be good on the floor????
    My WCK is better from knee on stomach than it is from on my back.

How about yours?
    Last edited by Wayfaring; 11-07-2010 at 09:00 PM.

I always here people say power comes from the ground, So if your on back on the floor surely your wing chun should be good on the floor????
    Good question.

If you are on your back on the ground then your back will need to draw the earth energy into your techniques (replacing your stance/roots). That is more or less what I know about WC ground fighting as I had to move countries before I could advance into that aspect of this art, but ground fighting is taught in the Mainlad Chinese lineage of WC that I practice.

Note: The ground fighting of kung fu is not a well known area, so people may react negatively to questions such as yours, but not to worry, they do so because the general information available regarding the lesser known aspects of the Traditional Chinese Martial Arts (TCMAs) is very poor.

I believe that things may get better as China opens up more and more and the people outside start getting more access to the lesser known methodologies of the TCMAs.
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 11-07-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    If you are on your back on the ground then your back will need to draw the earth energy into your techniques (replacing your stance/roots). That is more or less what I know about WC ground fighting as I had to move countries before I could advance into that aspect of this art, but ground fighting is taught in the Mainlad Chinese lineage of WC that I practice.
    Or you could give up ridiculous ideas about "drawing earth energy into your techniques" and train a functional art in that area like BJJ or Sambo.

The reason that the "ground fighting of kung fu" isn't known is because it is either non-existent, an after-thought to many systems, or trained in a fashion that is far inferior to the way BJJ is trained.

So you can learn something functional off your back, or sit there breathing peacefully "drawing earth energy into your techniques" while someone helps provide "earth energy into your techniques" by introducing your face to the earth through pounding it there.

Presumably if your WC is good with your back on the floor because power comes from the ground, it should be just as good if you're face down on your stomach. Try that out and let me know how it goes.

My WCK is better from knee on stomach than it is from on my back.
    Yeah, you see very little effective G&P from the guy on the bottom. You do see occasional knockouts from kicks from the ground against people who approach the grounded fighter injudiciously (i.e. bent over), e.g. Renzo vs Taktarov.

Groundfighting is taught in TWC. In a nutshell, it involves kicking or taking down a standing opponent to either hurt him long enough or get him far enough away for you to regain your feet and continue the fight from there. There is no concept of ground grappling or positional control, at least none worth discussing.

There are a number of KF styles which explore groundfighting on some detail, and there may even be some secret ones still known to only a few Chinese masters, though IMO there is no evidence of this.

The time has long past for hiding such lights under bushels. There's huge amounts of money, kudos, national pride, etc avaialble for anyone that can hold their own in MMA against wrestlers or BJJ stylists using TCMA groundfighting.

Yes. MY WC school is a Machado BJJ affiliate.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Or you could give up ridiculous ideas about "drawing earth energy into your techniques" and train a functional art in that area like BJJ or Sambo.
    If I was learning the "functional" arts of BJJ or Sambo, then I would NOT be posting in a KUNG FU FORUM!

The reason that the "ground fighting of kung fu" isn't known is because it is either non-existent, an after-thought to many systems, or trained in a fashion that is far inferior to the way BJJ is trained.
    The reason that the "ground fighting of kung fu" isn't known is because of the Mcdojo phenomenon. So, please don't blame the messenger.

So you can learn something functional off your back, or sit there breathing peacefully "drawing earth energy into your techniques" while someone helps provide "earth energy into your techniques" by introducing your face to the earth through pounding it there.
    I mentioned "earth energy" in reference to the use of stance/roots (with the help of gravity) to generate power. When you are on the ground and on your back, then your back works like your stance would, to generate power for your techniques - strikes and Chin-na/Kumna.

This means that my statement was not a reference to laser beams shooting out of the earth...LOL
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 11-07-2010 at 10:20 PM.

Oh brother, this again...?

Quote Originally Posted by Kansuke View Post
    Oh brother, this again...?
    this should be the motto of this subforum

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

I always here people say power comes from the ground,
    People in WCK SAY lots of things -- much of what they say is nonsense. Listening to poor golfers tell you how to play golf only leads to failure.

Your power doesn't "come from" the ground. It comes from your body.

When NASA found out they couldnt use a pen in space they spend millions of $ and lots of manhours coming up with new type of ink

When soviet union found out the same they used a pencil instead

Both methods works, but which is more sound

jesper, at least the space pen works, i.e. it is functional. It has been proven in the lab and in application ("on the street" as it were).

@HW108. Striking with your back to the ground cannot compare to standing striking. You cannot punch with your body, only localized arm power. Even in standing striking you are not "drawing power from the ground". The power comes from within - the muscles and sinew. The feeling of "power from the ground" is pure reaction to the force that we issue and/or receive.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    jesper, at least the space pen works, i.e. it is functional. It has been proven in the lab and in application ("on the street" as it were).
    So does the pencil.
    The point is one used a true and tested method, the other spend loads of time and money inventing something new to do the same task.

Or to tie it with this thread. why go reinvent the wheel when you can just study with someone who already has a true and tested method

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post

@HW108. Striking with your back to the ground cannot compare to standing striking. You cannot punch with your body, only localized arm power. Even in standing striking you are not "drawing power from the ground". The power comes from within - the muscles and sinew. The feeling of "power from the ground" is pure reaction to the force that we issue and/or receive.
    You know nothing of the internals of authentic TCMA.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by jesper View Post
    When NASA found out they couldnt use a pen in space they spend millions of $ and lots of manhours coming up with new type of ink

When soviet union found out the same they used a pencil instead

Both methods works, but which is more sound
    You do realize that is not a true story? In space, both Americans and Russians use the same pen invented by an American.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    I mentioned "earth energy" in reference to the use of stance/roots (with the help of gravity) to generate power. When you are on the ground and on your back, then your back works like your stance would, to generate power for your techniques - strikes and Chin-na/Kumna.

This means that my statement was not a reference to laser beams shooting out of the earth...LOL
    The ground is a different world. While some of the concepts from TCMA can apply, there are different fundamentals that have to be learned. Without those you are just as likely to do the exact wrong thing in a situation as opposed to the right thing.

Also, typically the "concept" stuff wrestlers have been doing since they were in middle school.