Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun groundfighting

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    actually he asked where you trained now so he could pop by...do tell ;o)
    Well, you tell him that I am not doctor Kevorkian, so if he is looking to commit assisted suicide, then I suggest that he looks for it locally...

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    He doesn't train except in his fantasy.
    Be nice now, not all of us are fortunate enough, like you, to have learned our Wing Chun through online studies and MMA "sparring"...LOL

Look, let me clarify this before everything gets out of hand, after all, the subject matter of this very thread concerns TCMA grappling.

Various TCMAs DO address the ground fighting arena, that fact has already been established, even here. Of course, for many the argument remains as to wether that is good enough, but in IMHO it is, when combined with all the other attributes a genuine TCMA program can give you.

I hope this is clear now....

Lets hold the horses up for a second.

HW108 - when you say "ground fighting" please be more specific. I have trained in some CMA where they considered ground fighting to be what you do when the other guy is on the ground.

Basically, the only TCMA fighting from being on the ground I have learned/seen is:

-Kicking up to keep distance, to then regain your feet
    -Trapping your two legs on his one to disrupt his balance, so you can regain your feet
    -Rolling to gain distance, so you can regain your feet

I have NOT seen anything analogous to ground wrestling seen in BJJ where the idea is to finish on the ground. If your school has some please discuss it here, if it is more of what I listed above then that is not going to be considered "ground fighting" by BJJ people.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Well, you tell him that I am not doctor Kevorkian, so if he is looking to commit assisted suicide, then I suggest that he looks for it locally...
    Only someone with no ground skills and no exposure to any ground skills would term any kind of test of ground skills "assisted suicide". Among those with ground skills, this type of thing is such a common everyday occurance that people don't freak out when mentioning it like HW108.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    Lets hold the horses up for a second.

HW108 - when you say "ground fighting" please be more specific. I have trained in some CMA where they considered ground fighting to be what you do when the other guy is on the ground.

Basically, the only TCMA fighting from being on the ground I have learned/seen is:

-Kicking up to keep distance, to then regain your feet
    -Trapping your two legs on his one to disrupt his balance, so you can regain your feet
    -Rolling to gain distance, so you can regain your feet

I have NOT seen anything analogous to ground wrestling seen in BJJ where the idea is to finish on the ground. If your school has some please discuss it here, if it is more of what I listed above then that is not going to be considered "ground fighting" by BJJ people.
    The idea behind WC and other TCMA groundfighting is to destory people on the ground using punches, kicks, joint breaks, eye gouges, biting, or any other thing that will finish off the opponent or multiple opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaceful Orchid

The idea behind WC and other TCMA groundfighting is to destory people on the ground using punches, kicks, joint breaks, eye gouges, biting, or any other thing that will finish off the opponent or multiple opponents.
    The way your write it makes it vague, do you mean you yourself are on the ground or the opponent is on the ground and you are standing?

The way your write it makes it vague, do you mean you yourself are on the ground or the opponent is on the ground and you are standing?
    Either or both.

And, btw, yes you can use WC principles and techniques to fight on the ground.
    Last edited by Peaceful Orchid; 11-09-2010 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaceful Orchid

Either or both.

And, btw, yes you can use WC principles and techniques to fight on the ground.
    Then please give an example of finishing multiple opponents on the ground while you are also on the ground. I can't see that working very well

Sounds like the Kruger Dunning effect.

Kruger and Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:

1. tend to overestimate their own level of skill;
    2. fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
    3. fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
    4. recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they can be trained to substantially improve.

LOL!

Groundfighting done like the Brazilians is something taken to the next level. And arts like judo, Sambo, and Catch are also incredible arts.

Chinese martial artists basically wanted to get up off the ground and stand up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Only someone with no ground skills and no exposure to any ground skills would term any kind of test of ground skills "assisted suicide". Among those with ground skills, this type of thing is such a common everyday occurance that people don't freak out when mentioning it like HW108.
    Q
    uick question ...... how common is it for you to practice 2 vs 1 or 3 vs 1 on the ground?

Then please give an example of finishing multiple opponents on the ground while you are also on the ground. I can't see that working very well
    Choke one, while kicking the other one and then breaking the other one's leg.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeTk View Post
    Q
    uick question ...... how common is it for you to practice 2 vs 1 or 3 vs 1 on the ground?
    All the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaceful Orchid View Post
    Choke one, while kicking the other one and then breaking the other one's leg.
    Not to say it can't be done, but I personally can't see that working out.

Generally to choke someone you have to apply too many resources to the one you're choking to engage others effectively. If your kicks are devastating enough that you can break legs with one kick from a compromised position that would be impressive.

I'd like to see more about how you approach these things, send me a PM if you'd care to talk about it more in depth off the thread.

Not to say it can't be done, but I personally can't see that working out.

Generally to choke someone you have to apply too many resources to the one you're choking to engage others effectively. If your kicks are devastating enough that you can break legs with one kick from a compromised position that would be impressive.

I'd like to see more about how you approach these things, send me a PM if you'd care to talk about it more in depth off the thread.
    No, you keep them off with the kicks while you are choking one (sometimes you can break the knee with a good kick, though). Then, after the first guy dies from the choke, you break the other one's leg with a leg lock.