Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wing Chun groundfighting

Quote Originally Posted by Peaceful Orchid View Post
    No, you keep them off with the kicks while you are choking one (sometimes you can break the knee with a good kick, though). Then, after the first guy dies from the choke, you break the other one's leg with a leg lock.
    You're appearance is strangely suspect considering recent bannings. I'm thinking troll. Because if not, you are scraping the barrel lower than HW108's level of ridiculousness....

All the time.
    1)Question wasn't for you
    2)Also if you want to be taken seriously , I would not post things like you did in you reply to Eric_H.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    You're appearance is strangely suspect considering recent bannings. I'm thinking troll. Because if not, you are scraping the barrel lower than HW108's level of ridiculousness....
    Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by SergeTk View Post
    2)Also if you want to be taken seriously , I would not post things like you did in you reply to Eric_H.
    What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by SergeTk View Post
    Q
    uick question ...... how common is it for you to practice 2 vs 1 or 3 vs 1 on the ground?
    Not that common. Playing games like that every 3 weeks to a month for a couple rounds.

No, you keep them off with the kicks while you are choking one (sometimes you can break the knee with a good kick, though). Then, after the first guy dies from the choke, you break the other one's leg with a leg lock.
    Meanwhile, the chi from your aura kills all the ninjas around in a 10 mile radius.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Meanwhile, the chi from your aura kills all the ninjas around in a 10 mile radius.

I don't believe in chi being able to kill outside things. Bad chi distribution or blockage can kill oneself, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    I have never claimed to be "proficient" in ground skills. I have said that the Mainland Chinese WC curriculum has ground fighting practice as a part of its traditional methodology.

Unfortunately, I had to move countries before I covered that area, and nowadays whenever I travel and meet sifu, I concentrate on polishing up what I already know. All this does not change the fact that various TCMAs address the groundfighting scenarios!

If you have any doubts about the skills of any TCMA sifu, you are free to go to their kwoon (kung fu schools) and challenge them!

Very true, Yip Man was very well known for his BJJ skills.....

They can "explore" anything they like, but IMHO, they should first concisley explore the art of Wing Chun, before they go onto "improving" it.

You need to have a pure view of Wing Chun if you wish to improve it, because pure view will imply concise understanding of this profound art.

I thought we were done with this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Saboi Osmosis View Post
    does your school cover any groundfighting techiniques/escapes etc....

I always here people say power comes from the ground, So if your on your back on the floor surely your wing chun should be good on the floor????
    As far as the wrestling angle goes, or BJJ if you're a modernist, I personally wouldn't coach students in these sports I would send them to a reputable club. I wouldn't send them to an MMA Gym as the standards I have seen on the ground are nowhere near the BJJ/Judo/Wresling guys I've researched. These are still hard to find and wrestling, especially, isn't as popular in the UK. I also like the Shuaijiao guys I've met through the BCCMA, and feel that also has a closer connection to the art I coach simply due to the language and history.

As far as Ground'work' goes, yes I coach this. Yes I was taught this by a Wing Chun Sifu, and yes that helps in many situations that end up going to the concrete. The infamous 'knee to chest' is a WCK tech! Practise is geared more towards escape and avoidance than submission. Floorwork was covered because I was trained as a performer where we rolled in/out to attack/defend and as many techs were trips/throws we had to know how to fall! I, and many others that went through this, had not experienced that intensity in Wing Chun before and it had it's place (like everything) for a time. It isn't something that's done every day!

And FWIW, if Wing Chun is in perpetual development (which it really should be imho) then going down the groundfighting route will be a natural progression for some. I would just say that you need to hold onto the nature of Wing Chun too, and understand that this is a snake speciality that has been disregarded in the past only to come back and bite us all on our backsides!
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 11-10-2010 at 02:55 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術