Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How is street fighting any different than Sports fighting?

Blog Entries
    In another thread, almost universally people remarked that in reality they had had harder fights in the ring than on the street.

There's just that element of risk...
    well that and the fact that you're not in a rush to get the fight over as a street guy would be.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    it's funny, but I've actually had teachers who while understanding the moral issues, admitted that going out and testing your Gung-Fu was the best way.
    But, I agree that the sportfighting that is available to us now is the best course of action.
    I guess I was lucky. My Tang Soo Do instructor trained PKA fighters,and we had a few pro fighters in our school, so I was able to get regular beatings. But I also took jobs in security and at bars for the non-sport training.
    in retrospect, working security for the Tower of Power concert promoted by the black student's union might not have been the wisest of choices...
    Last edited by TenTigers; 11-07-2010 at 01:45 PM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

The missing link in MA training for many is pain. In itself, its an important lesson, and an efficient teacher.

Once you get past that milestone, the chaos abates a bit and you can really work technique.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the street being a place to teach you to fight. Sports fighting is for who? Thugs? well....LOL...but seriously sports fighting is for athletes. Look at the average MMA guy compared to the average martial art guy. the MMA guy is far more physically conditioned than the average martial art guy.

to answer your question....my students learn martial arts because they know that they want to have better fighting skills to deal with people who can fight already. they're not trying to MMA fighters but they want to be able to effectively protect their family and loved ones. And when you're from the inner city fighting is a very very common thing. Inner city kids have to deal with alot of threats in the streets. So although i would prefer my students to safely test their skills at MMA or UFC levels, and this is where i'm gearing my students towards (sports fighting) the simple fact is that my students still have to protect themselves outside of the ring.

I don't tell my students "hey, go out and beat someone up tonite or don't come back"......no. But i do tell my students "if some dude walks up on you and you know you're gonna have to fight this guy no matter what, then do you best and bring the fight to him. and if you lose the fight make him regret ever fighting you".......

What i DO tell my students is protect yourself, your family, and if you have to our elderly folk or little children. all else isn't your business. (few exceptions though like a guy beating on his woman in public.)
    Good post.

I would only point out that if there's some guy beating his wife or gf in public, if you do choose to intervene, watch out. Chances are the woman will turn on you and back up her man.

Blog Entries
    Good post.

I would only point out that if there's some guy beating his wife or gf in public, if you do choose to intervene, watch out. Chances are the woman will turn on you and back up her man.
    true very true.

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    Would you encourage a student of yours to go out and fight people on the streets as a method of testing their skills?
    This was typical in our area in the 70's. However, when I started teaching I discouraged it in every situation except challenge matches.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Good post.

And under Ohio law if the wife started the altercation she does not have the right to "self-defense". If you aid her the law will see YOU as the aggressor, not the defender.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    In another thread, almost universally people remarked that in reality they had had harder fights in the ring than on the street.

There's just that element of risk...
    Very interesting. I did not see that thread but I have had a small handfull of ring fights compared to many more real fights and I have no doubt that the ring fights were by far the hardest, at least in terms of effort/work rate. Granted, I probably needed to have many more ring fights to give a more balanced view. Everyone I know with similar experiences says the same. On the other hand, I have known a few very experienced sports fighters- including a couple of national title holders, who think the opposite (i.e - ring fighting is much easier than street fighting). In my view this is simply because they are not violent by nature and can't override their programming. From my limited experience, most 'streetfighters' make terrible sport fighters as in most cases they can't adapt and have great difficulty dealing with the fact that in general their blitzkrieg type assaults are largely useless against well conditioned opponents, particularly once the element of surprise and intimidation are largely negated.

In my opinion the harder thing about 'steet' fighting is that the injuries are far worse and so are the implications. It does get a bit hard/difficult to keep going at times when your head is being stomped in. God bless referees.

BT

@HSK

I think you have missed the most important difference between street fighting and sports fighting.

The most important difference (in my opinion and experience) is the psychological difference.

In a sports fight, even a tough one, you are still well within your safety zone. You know that win or lose, when its done tomorrow will be the same as today.

A street fight is not like that at all. Off course the opponents are no way near as skilled. But when you look in someones eyes and you see they want to kill you, and your not even sure why, then its a pretty nasty thing. It makes all sorts of instinctual body reactions happen that don't in a ring fight.

YOu know that tomorrow is not going to be the same as today. Either you get seriously hurt (mentally and physically) or you are going to seriously hurt someone else (Its not so easy to bring yourself to do it). Not only that but EVERYONE is going to know what happened. The police will be involved. There will be legal action. What if you kill someone? What if someone is killed because you couldn't stop it? What if you are killed? Your life could change forever based on your reaction in the next few seconds. In less than a second this all enters your head and it confuses you and stays your hand.

If you are experienced you can stop these thoughts and make a quick decision. But all the ring fighting in the world doesn't prepare you for that moment.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 11-07-2010 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    @HSK

...A street fight is not like that at all. Off course the opponents are no way near as skilled. But when you look in someones eyes and you see they want to kill you, and your not even sure why, then its a pretty nasty thing. It makes all sorts of instinctual body reactions happen that don't in a ring fight.

YOu know that tomorrow is not going to be the same as today. Either you get seriously hurt (mentally and physically) or you are going to seriously hurt someone else (Its not so easy to bring yourself to do it). Not only that but EVERYONE is going to know what happened. The police will be involved. There will be legal action. What if you kill someone? What if someone is killed because you couldn't stop it? What if you are killed? Your life could change forever based on your reaction in the next few seconds. In less than a second this all enters your head and it confuses you and stays your hand.

If you are experienced you can stop these thoughts and make a quick decision. But all the ring fighting in the world doesn't prepare you for that moment.
    Yea, or you hit them and they run away....
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

The most important difference (in my opinion and experience) is the psychological difference.
    That might be true.

IMHO, the main difference and an important one is that street fighting has less rules to comply with, and thus less ethical. It does not mean to me that it is wrong. Because why the fight occurs is different. In street fighting, quite often one is being forced to fight. And the stakes are usually higher than those in sports fighting.

P.S. I have met a x%#%xxx guy before who said that street fighting has no rule.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Blog Entries
    Nah, i never forgot that. i may not have put it down in this thread but i never forgot that.

A street fight is not like that at all. Off course the opponents are no way near as skilled. But when you look in someones eyes and you see they want to kill you, and your not even sure why, then its a pretty nasty thing. It makes all sorts of instinctual body reactions happen that don't in a ring fight.
    I did say that a street fighter can go from 0-60 and the above is the reason why. If you don't have that KILLER in you you won't survive anyone beating you up on the streets. But the look in his eye does not scare me as much as his INTENT...a look can't kill you but his intent can.

yes. i agree here. For example, i got that good mean mug face and people i've come across say i look mean. I'd take all of that when i'm alone and when most people would walk around a group of young thugs i'd have a habit of walking through the center of them as they would open up a path and let me through. i show no fear and for being s short fat guy people are assuming i'd be a push over. but thats not really the case. LOL
    YOu know that tomorrow is not going to be the same as today. Either you get seriously hurt (mentally and physically) or you are going to seriously hurt someone else (Its not so easy to bring yourself to do it).
    This is why every street fighter i know wants and hopes someone stops the fight because once its on someone is going to get hurt. If not, the fight goes on till one person stops moving.

And i disagree that its not an easy thing to do to want to hurt someone. it may not be easy to do for someone in the suburbs or someone who hasn't experienced inner city violence. but where i grew up, if you do not fight to hurt someone you are going to be the one that gets hurt. this is how i grew up.

Not only that but EVERYONE is going to know what happened. The police will be involved. There will be legal action.
    Just ask any person that lives in the hood if he's afraid of going to jail for getting into a fight. i bet you the number of people who say NO will be greater than the people that say yes.

What if someone is killed because you couldn't stop it? What if you are killed? Your life could change forever based on your reaction in the next few seconds.
    This is all an accepted idea and is the reason people in the hood fight so hard. so they don't get killed. but growing up in that environment people are conditioned for the worst case scenario. like i've said in the past, my older brother lost his eye in a fight and in another one he was stabbed in his chest and it ripped down his bicep. got pictures to show for it too.

I've been involved in fights at a party where afterwards the other party came back and shot up the restaurant some of our friends were in. One guy got shot in the head and was blinded for life. people in San Francisco accept this way of life. some don't like it, but the ones that live it have no choice but to accept it cause they're not well off enough to move out of it.

When you have to live the streets you become the streets. you not only know how to fight, but you know how to pick and chose your fights, know when to run for your life or fight for it. those who live PLEASANTVILLE types of lives will never comprehend what it takes to live in the hood. But if you're born into it, you learn things much faster in life than others....like fighting. My first fight in fact took place when i was four years old. No sh!t. my older brother would back that up because he was there and was the one who pushed me to fight back when i got punched in the face by a kid two years older than me.

I guess you can say my older bro is the one who started me fighting because man he used to kick my arse. i we were so poor growing up he talked me into sparring with him when i was like 6 or 7 and he put socks over his hands telling me they were like boxing gloves and that it wouldn't hurt.....WHAT A MUDDA CHUKKIN LIAR! LOL
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 11-07-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    A streetfight is NEVER fair
    the trick is to make sure its always drastically unfair.... in your favor, of course...

Blog Entries
    the trick is to make sure its always drastically unfair.... in your favor, of course...
    exactly.

I understand the psychology of the streets because of being born there...didn't MOVE there i was born in the hood.

@RenDaHai: I do understand the psychology of the streets and even use it to teach my students. For example, if you've been in a street confrontation with an intimidating person you'd notice that he STARES deep into your eyes trying to instill that fear in you that he's gonna MOIDALIZE you! Cause he's a MAN..a TOUGH MAN...you're nothing but a punk in his eyes. so getting all up in your face is part of that intimidation.

So i tell me students the one thing an intimidating person hates is when you stand up to him cause then's is a game of who's better at getting in your face. STARE back in their eyes and keep the focus RIGHT THERE....EYE TO EYE....and when you're ready hit him in the nuts so hard you lift him off the floor. i won't punch, we have a rising crane hand that we use in CLF and i'll hit you in the nuts so hard you can rename them SCRAMBLED EGGS. a nut shot is so much more effective when the guy isn't prepared for it. make ya wanna die. LOL

I enjoy reading threads like this. I was born into the streets of Los Angeles. All my life outside of my apartment there is gang writing (graffiti) everywhere. Even on the trees. It's their way of decorating their territory. But I just look at them as roaches in this concrete jungle. They're just pests without discipline or honor.

I jog to the gym several times a week in these graffiti covered streets at whatever time I want, even late at night and they never mess with me. Because I don't give them ****, but at the same time I'm fearless, and they know if they gave me **** I'd knock all their front teeth out. So often they cross the street when I'm walking towards them because I walk with warrior spirit, that makes them afraid without me even saying anything.

My uncle has no martial art experience, but yet he has been in over 60 street fights and out of all of them he has never been knocked to his ass even once. He's not a big man either, I'd say about 5.8, 170 pounds. Out of all the experienced fighters I know he is the one with the most warrior spirit.

When you enter in a fight with him, you're already dead he says. There is no chance that you can beat him in his own mind. And this is a guy without martial arts training. Though he has served time. People like him would be able to defeat most martial artists despite their training. Because I know plenty of martial artists that are actually pussies, despite their training, like vegetarians or scared of non venomous snakes for examples.

So I believe more than the actual training itself, it is the mind of a fighter that makes you potent in a real fight. It is the mind and intent to be able to think there is no way in hell this guy can beat me, and you have already lost by even looking at me the wrong way. That is what it takes to win a serious fight without rules.

Sport fights are not street fights. That's not to say sport fights aren't serious, but at the same time. A lot of sport fighters would not have the mind to be able to handle the crazy and vicious guys of the street. To beat these guys on the street you have to be ready to be more vicious than them.

Chances are though if you can afford $100+ a month to be training in serious MMA you will not have to be walking the type of streets I walk, where you might actually need your training.