Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How is street fighting any different than Sports fighting?

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    You realize the myth of an a noble martial artist who stands for truth and justice is just that a myth right? Quite a few fights in the Tma world have ended with someone dead.Most of the gong sau matches in china were hardly under honourable circumstances.

Uh.. have you ever had someone trying to choke you to death before? Machismo tends to crumble when you got one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel.

So then they are hardly insane or savages if they use that kind of ration.

You can be as savage as you like but you can just as easily be knocked out or choked unconcious as the next guy. your mental state is useless if you do not have the physical capabilties to back it up.
    please please stop making so much sense my brain cant handle it !

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    that is the secret. its when you are all afraid and they can see it it means you don't fit in and are not from there. you become that easy target. but i totally relate to you brother. my mom died when i was around eleven and when i was younger than that she used to send me to the corner store with a bat or chain or something to protect myself.

that is something i also teach my students. they always say "but he's so much bigger than me" and i tell them "You already lost then. because i don't care if he's a big a$$ Samoan, and NOBODY is just going to whip my a$$. there's a difference behind a sports mentality fighting to win, but a street fighter's mind set its do or die. there's no chance for fuk ups. one slip up could mean your head being slammed repeatedly into the cement. kicked in the head or face. so a street fighter HAS to have that "YOU"RE NOT KICKING MY A$$ MUDDA CHUKKA" frame of mind.
    My goodness Hsk... you're like most spot on. OK - you seem to understand the new rules. The only difference in what I'd advocate is I'd tell people not to be macho to the point where they fight when they can flee. Always flee first.

I'd love to put some great video that I have on youtube, but I can't. It's a hostage situation where you see a bunch of people being held face down behind a plate glass window. The window shatters because the cops fired tear gas into the building. One guy gets up and runs out the broken window. About 5 seconds later you see the gunman running down the line shooting each of the prone hostages. ONLY ONE TRIED TO FLEE AND HE LIVED. The rest all died. There's a lesson there.

If you can't fight in the ring, under controlled conditions, with as close to a level playing field as possible, what hope do you have on "the street" ??
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    @ mightyB: oh yes that happened in sacramento. bunch of asians guys. and yes, the one person that did run for his life was the only one uninjured. i don't see the point in just LETTING someone take your life. i really can't.

If you can't fight in the ring, under controlled conditions, with as close to a level playing field as possible, what hope do you have on "the street" ??
    @sanjuro: The ring isn't the TRUE testing ground. before ring fighting there was street fighting. but if you never fought before except for the ring then i feel you're missing an element. i can tell you all day, but its something you have to experience for yourself. i've never fought in the ring before and i survive on the streets pretty ok.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    There are plenty of examples of untrained people putting up fights and successfully defending themselves. When interviewing women that successfully fought back against armed rapists... all of them displayed the same characteristic. That was a survivor's mentality and that's the basis of Strong's book. Those women feared what the rapist was going to do more than the weapon. Sure they were cut, sure they were hurt, but they were not raped, they were not kidnapped, and they were not murdered. They understood the consequences of compliance and not putting up a fight. Nasty things like gang rape and torture... genital mutilation... being butchered. Ah yes - criminals are such good people.

I remember this interview with a hardcore gang member about his charge and why he was in prison for murder. it was about 10 years ago but basically he said that he knew **** was going down with this guy and he had to represent, he knew the guy was trained in 'that karate ****' so guess what? He decided to shoot him dead instead. Why bother getting your ass kicked by a fighter. He was from the streets and grew up in the hood you have to expect someone who grew up in a dog eat dog world to just kill you the easiest way possible. There are many 'different' types of 'streets' out there.

I guess it depends on your life experiences and how you came up. when i think street i think guns, knives and groups. drugs, booze, and lots of hate. ever seen someone hopped up on some serious powder beat the crap out of someone? I can tell you right now that someone that high is not a 'normal' person. people on hardcore drugs step outside the 'limitations' of regular sane and sober people. not an excuse for anything but a reality. not saying that makes someone some super fighter, it doesnt. but what it does do is alter their reality. thats powerful. if you have been there or know what im talking about then you understand.

couple that alteration with a violent person, with a history of violence and the means to carry out violence. its a strong combination.

ever see someone with high school wrestling and a few years of boxing training go down the hole and get strung out on drugs and mixed up in the street gang life? his hands can be scary. just sayin.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    I remember this interview with a hardcore gang member about his charge and why he was in prison for murder. it was about 10 years ago but basically he said that he knew **** was going down with this guy and he had to represent, he knew the guy was trained in 'that karate ****' so guess what? He decided to shoot him dead instead. Why bother getting your ass kicked by a fighter. He was from the streets and grew up in the hood you have to expect someone who grew up in a dog eat dog world to just kill you the easiest way possible. There are many 'different' types of 'streets' out there.
    if you get into a street confrontation there is a big chance the guy doesn't have a gun. and if both of your hands are raised you kinda know ok this guy is going to fight me and not shoot me. People get shot for being in the wrong area, cause someone wants your shoes, jacket, jewelry, or sh1t even shoot you for an initiation into a gang. The best way to to deal with it is just not be there. but sometimes you have no choice but to be in a certain area. mainly because you live there.]

I guess it depends on your life experiences and how you came up. when i think street i think guns, knives and groups. drugs, booze, and lots of hate.
    and thats EXACTLY what i grew up in.

ever seen someone hopped up on some serious powder beat the crap out of someone? I can tell you right now that someone that high is not a 'normal' person.
    Yeah i've witnessed some things that would shock alot of people. I'm cold to VIOLENCE and the one thing that i find very sad is hearing a man literally begging for his life out of pure fear. out of everything i've ever done or seen, that is one thing that stuck with me more than anything else. perhaps it was because the people where i live take violence and life hand in hand. they know it can happen to them so their level of FEAR is lower than lets say some people from the suburbs.

I've come to see some of my life long friends soooooo strung out on dope that it made me cry literally. that could have been me. I'm glad i moved out of that environment but i'm still proud of where i came from because it taught me how to survive.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 11-08-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    if you get into a street confrontation there is a big chance the guy doesn't have a gun. and if both of your hands are raised you kinda know ok this guy is going to fight me and not shoot me. People get shot for being in the wrong area, cause someone wants your shoes, jacket, jewelry, or sh1t even shoot you for an initiation into a gang. The best way to to deal with it is just not be there. but sometimes you have no choice but to be in a certain area. mainly because you live there.]

and thats EXACTLY what i grew up in.
    Frank - again you're spot on, and that type of activity is spreading. Learning to avoid the really dangerous areas is vital. Understanding the nature of the new criminal is also vital. Looks like you got both.

I've attached a pic of the guy I keep yammering about. He lives in the San Diego. You guys have a lot in common in regards to understanding the new criminal. Basically be smart and a survive or die kind've attitude for self defense.

Blog Entries
    brother i used to be a crip and one of my tattoo's say "Crip or Cry, DO or DIE. Even if you leave the streets and move into a better neighborhood guess what you get to become (so to speak)? A "HOOD CONSULTANT" to those who don't live in the hood. you get to bring all that knowledge of how to survive and apply it in your new life.

but there is a saying "you can take a person out of the hood, but you can never take the HOOD out of the person."

you know what bugs me the MOST about the new types of thugs who sag their pants? THEY do it as a STYLE......SAGGING came from the fact that people in the hood wore hand-me-downs and often times couldn't afford to buy a belt so these kids pants would sag....not for STYLE but because he just doesn't have a belt.

I'm taking this picture down in a little while but here is a pic of my brother recently but you can see the scar he has from being stabbed. it starts in the middle of his chest.

Last edited by hskwarrior; 11-08-2010 at 12:58 PM.

@sanjuro: The ring isn't the TRUE testing ground. before ring fighting there was street fighting. but if you never fought before except for the ring then i feel you're missing an element. i can tell you all day, but its something you have to experience for yourself. i've never fought in the ring before and i survive on the streets pretty ok.
    There are plenty of examples of untrained people putting up fights and successfully defending themselves. When interviewing women that successfully fought back against armed rapists... all of them displayed the same characteristic. That was a survivor's mentality and that's the basis of Strong's book. Those women feared what the rapist was going to do more than the weapon. Sure they were cut, sure they were hurt, but they were not raped, they were not kidnapped, and they were not murdered. They understood the consequences of compliance and not putting up a fight. Nasty things like gang rape and torture... genital mutilation... being butchered. Ah yes - criminals are such good people.
    Guys, you are making my point you know...

Blog Entries
    i'm sorry, are you sayng if you can't fight in the ring then you wouldn't be able to fight in the street?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Guys, you are making my point you know...
    Only if your point is that what most people consider street fighting is a myth and that it's really bully defense. Real Street fighting is violent and nasty and full of hardened criminals. That the best MA training can do is get you in shape and improve your balance, but the fight is really in your mind... because you have to fight your fear, you have to fight your instincts if they tell you to comply... That it doesn't take a trained fighter to survive - that it really takes a survivor to survive - then yes, we'll be with you.

If your point is that somehow a kickboxing and BJJ class is going to prepare you for a real street battle with criminals... then we're not even on the same page.

I am saying that, if you don't do well in a controlled environment, you have less of chance in an uncontrolled one.
    Sure we can have flukes and such, but what that means is that it is far harder to defend yourself VS a trained fighter in a controlled environment then some guy in a non-controlled, as your examples show.
    The woman that defended herself VS a rapist, what chance do you think she would have had if he was a trained fighter?

In a sport environment you are exposed and your body learns to adapt to the stimuli of "fight or flight", and even if you are o n the street and are "surprised" by an attack, if your trained responses tell you to kick ass, you will ( to the bets of your ability) because the stimuli of "physical danger" is something you are used to.

If your point is that somehow a kickboxing and BJJ class is going to prepare you for a real street battle with criminals... then we're not even on the same page.
    No, nothing will prepare you for that other than doing that.
    What it will prepare you for is what to do when the **** hits the fan.

Blog Entries
    The woman that defended herself VS a rapist, what chance do you think she would have had if he was a trained fighter?
    ]

how would she do against a trained fighting rapist? LOL

No, nothing will prepare you for that other than doing that.
    you have to actually FIGHT to know how to FIGHT. Street or the ring both "VENUES" deal with fighting. Street Level fighter and Trained fighters. If you're a street fighter it means you're not afraid to mix it up and BANG. If you are martial artist you're supposed to be trained better than the street fighter. A sports fighter is the higher goal in fighting because of what it takes to become one. But NOT everyone wants to become a SPORTS fighter and ARE satisfied with being able to take out your average street punk.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 11-08-2010 at 01:50 PM.