Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Mom Hit With $1.5 Million Fine for Downloading 24 Songs

Minnesota Mom Hit With $1.5 Million Fine for Downloading 24 Songs

Thats bullshi+ !!!!!

I'm no fan of the RIAA and the record companies, but I believe they offered to settle with her for a much smaller amount but she refused.

Break the law. Deal with the consequences.

Just because crime is easy doesn't mean it isn't criminal.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

what needs to be done is for file sharing software to be banned. thats how people are downloading it. remove the source remove the option.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    what needs to be done is for file sharing software to be banned. thats how people are downloading it. remove the source remove the option.
    There is no feasible way to remove P2P. Short of taking everyone off the internet, anyway.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

thats true i guess. at least we can take out the big ones as they pop up with free software for the p2p. i mean you can go to google right now and find several p2p free software downloads. go after the makers of those programs for providing avenues for digital theft. force those programmers to include pay only options. That can be done. If you want limewire/etc. you pay a monthly fee, no free options, a portion of that income is provided to the music and motion picture companies.

there should be abolutely no free p2p software on the market. any found should be dealt with harshly
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

there should be abolutely no free p2p software on the market. any found should be dealt with harshly
    That's like banning beer because some people drink too much and then drive. By now, everyone knows that sharing copyrighted songs is illegal. If you do it, and get caught, you pay the price. That's how life works.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I know you're right but playing the devils advocate:

we dont have drive up windows for buying liquor. what is the reason for needing file sharing. there is abo****ely no reason for anyone to NEED filesharing. make file sharing itself illegal. nothing wrong with that. start suing not only the people downloading the songs and movies but he companies that say 'here is how you can easily commit this crime, I will give you every tool you need to do it soley by using my software'

if you catch a kid drinking under age, they are busted. likewise if a liquor store, knowingly or unknowingly, provided that liquor to the minor, they also are busted.

why shouldnt the people providing the songs be held to some level of accountability, just like a store selling to a minor would be.

people are criminals thats all there is to it, if you only go after the person cimmiting the small crime and ignore the avenues that make the crime possible, you will always have a higher amount of that particular crime being commited at any given time.

personally, i dont do it, and i dont care, i just like arguing with you. passes the time

The RIAA is a corrupt and graft filled organization that should not be given access to the courts for these lawsuits.

Not only does this organization do it's best to screw musicians and artists in general, but now they want to move around and start screwing the people who listen as well.

they are being protectionist and by doing this they are trying to put the kibosh on musicians self distributing their work.

Ban the RIAA and make it a criminal organization and make them compensate everyone they have screwed.

Radio shares tunes with me all day long, I lend CD's to friends all the time, I shoot MP3's out all the time to friends, I watch vids on youtube.

screw the RIAA and their fascist BS.

DIE MF's DIE!!!

thanks, that is all.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by david jamieson View Post
    the riaa is a corrupt and graft filled organization that should not be given access to the courts for these lawsuits.

Not only does this organization do it's best to screw musicians and artists in general, but now they want to move around and start screwing the people who listen as well.

They are being protectionist and by doing this they are trying to put the kibosh on musicians self distributing their work.

Ban the riaa and make it a criminal organization and make them compensate everyone they have screwed.

Radio shares tunes with me all day long, i lend cd's to friends all the time, i shoot mp3's out all the time to friends, i watch vids on youtube.

Screw the riaa and their fascist bs.

Die mf's die!!! :d

thanks, that is all.
    loook we have evidence dj is a criminal!!!!!!!!!!!

loook we have evidence dj is a criminal!!!!!!!!!!!
    you're on the list now!!

rat me out eh?

we'll see about that, ninja or not!!!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

music should be free... you wanna make money as a musician, go on tour...
    mp3's, cd's, whatever should be like an advert... for millenia musicians had to actually perform to make money... the overnight recording millionaire is a new thing and anyone with half a brain knew it wouldnt last... they are going to scramble and get every penny they can before the bubble bursts for real... and they know this, its why they are being so aggressive...

you cant stop file sharing... if i make a file, draw a picture, take a photo, create a short film, record a song, whatever, i have every right to share it with whoever i want...
    p2p is done, its here, it cannot be removed, PERIOD... the media industry will never catch up to those willing to subvert their claims to ownership...

ok now the fine.... fair? break the law pay the price??? come on... she is ordered to pay 1.5 million for 24 songs wich would retail for about 24 dollars... thats $62,500 PER SONG... ok but it is true, she could have settled for just paying $1.9mill in her second trial or the new fine of $54,000 which works out to about $2,250 per song... much better, yes, but still unrealistic and disproportionate to the crime... they cant charge her for theoretical shares that may have taken place after she got the song... not cool... thats like charging me for theoretical murder for the crime i may commit(or may have already committed) when i bought an assault rifle... charge me for illegal possession and nothing more..

the judge lowered the fine to somewhat affordable in the hopes of making this go away... im glad she challenged it... i hope she fights till the fine is either gone, or under 1000 bucks... a 1000 fine for stealing 24 dollars is even pretty high, but understandable... 2 mill fine for stealing 24 dollars??? the only ones who like that number are the ones who will get the money...

i could go on for days about the theivery of the big 5 and all the wannabe pigmy organizations kicking at their knees... and the RIAA, these people have been stealing since day one, now they want to point fingers??? they already killed CD technology.... why would anyone pay more for a blank CD than a blank DVD with significantly more capacity??? i shake my head at the reasoning these people seem to come up with...

i vote we start killing musicians.

you're on the list now!!

rat me out eh?

we'll see about that, ninja or not!!!
    why I oughta....