Thread: RE: styles of Kung Fu...

RE: styles of Kung Fu...

Are there any other styles (besides Sun Bagua & Wing Chun), that do not contain high kicks and low-to-the ground movements/stances similar to the Tai-chi swoop, Shaolin Seven-Star, iron broom spinning leg sweep, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Nfrisco4now View Post
    Are there any other styles (besides Sun Bagua & Wing Chun), that do not contain high kicks and low-to-the ground movements/stances similar to the Tai-chi swoop, Shaolin Seven-Star, iron broom spinning leg sweep, etc.?
    The WC that I practice has a heel kick to the throat, but I know what you mean.

The lineage of Chow Gar that I practice has no high kicks. I would hazard a guess (but, I could be wrong) that other styles related to it, such as Pak Mei and Dragon, will not have high kicks either. Also, to my knowledge Hsing I does not have high kicks either.

Also, as far as I know, none of the styles I mentioned have low level stances, but I could be wrong, as many styles may have sub-lineages that practice them.

Just going back to the WC that I practice. There is a low heeling stance used to deliver a low punch, but that is the only one I know of in this lineage. Otherwise, we do practice Shaolin type horse stances for stance training and during Iron Palm practice.

just curious why you are lookign for a style that doesnt have high kicks or low to teh ground stuff
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

you can find several tcma that don't use high kicks
    Xing Yi and Baji Quan for one
    treat others like you want that others treat you

just because theres a high kick in the form, doesnt mean it has to be a high kick in practice.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

depending on the distance

if it is close, probably knee strike or low kick or hooking the ankle, or knee pressure etc

if you are busy with hands, then the kicks will help a lot.

kicks alone is more diifficul to do or less success rate

kicks combined with hands or supplement your hand methods. it is with much better success.

----

high, mid, low, where and when there is opening, just go rite ahead or kick away.

or leg sweep/ankle hook away.