Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun Bagua...

Sun Bagua...

When Sun Lu Tang died, the acknowledged authority became his daughter. Sun Jian Yun died some years ago, so who is the current lineage holder, successor, ect., of Sun Bagua?

No one. And what is the point of such conversation?
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    To know who has the authority to teach it and promote instructors perhaps? So it doesn't become a free for all of peeps who never learned it, yet claim expertise. Unless the style died with his daughter or was reinvented by her students.
    Seemed like a reasonable enough question.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

I read somewhere that her son or grandson was now the head of Sun style Taijiquan/Xingyiquan/Baguazhang. I can't remember his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    The point to such conversation is that he asked a reasonable question. What was the point to your response besides to look down on those who ask these questions?

At a certain point it is important to know or otherwise I could start teaching Sun Bagua.

What About

Sun Yongtian and Deng Fuming - both 3rd generation Sun students? There is probably an answer somewhere there. The long time students know who the seniors are. (Even Ms. Sun knew who her dad's senior students were.) As well, I can't see a 'traditional' lineage (regardless of the brevity of the style) not having some lineage/succession in place to ensure the style continues.

I think the question asked is a legitimate one; even though knowing such things may get in the way of some people making money from their association with the Sun family or prevent them from enhancing their own status.

Quote Originally Posted by rovere View Post
    Sun Yongtian and Deng Fuming - both 3rd generation Sun students? There is probably an answer somewhere there. The long time students know who the seniors are. (Even Ms. Sun knew who her dad's senior students were.) As well, I can't see a 'traditional' lineage (regardless of the brevity of the style) not having some lineage/succession in place to ensure the style continues.

I think the question asked is a legitimate one; even though knowing such things may get in the way of some people making money from their association with the Sun family or prevent them from enhancing their own status.
    Im actually the lineage holder of Traditional Sun BAgua.

The current lineage holder for Sun Family Taiji is Sun Yongtian . He is not a family member but Ms.Sun Jian yun taught him indepth. He is known for his understandings of the principles of Sun style system, and respected in martial arts . He is currently in Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by rovere View Post
    There is probably an answer somewhere there. The long time students know who the seniors are. (Even Ms. Sun knew who her dad's senior students were.)
    That's the impression that I get. Master Sun Lu Tang had senior students who quietly carried on his unique arts. They all respected his daughter, and her skill was great, but of course she was not the only one to have learned from him.

Many of the people who practice Sun Style now a days do so quietly without a great deal of fanfare. That's good actually because it keeps the politics to a minimum. I'd hate to see it become like Wing Chun or any number of other styles where the environment is barely tolerable. The people in the system know who has the goods by looking at each other's practice.

Silly conversations such as this one (who is the lineage holder) are what spark political BS problems.
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Sounds like someone hit a nerve! Who cares who the lineage holder is? If ya know the system, you know it. If ya don't, ya don't. It's that easy. Everyone gets so tied up on who is senior to who. Just train and better yourself. That's what it's all about.

Are the eight animal forms part of legit traditional bagua or were they thrown in there at a later date?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nfrisco4now View Post
    who is the current lineage holder, successor, ect., of Sun Bagua?
    Some people really care about this while others can't care less. When your opponent uses his sword to cut your head off, while your head is flying away from your body, you head will not ask your opponent, "Are you the lineage holder?"

Just finished a Shuai Chiao documentary movie not too long ago. The movie director loved to drag everybody into this kind of lineage holder debating. The problem is when one person claims that he is the lineage holder and if all the others don't say anything, the public may assume that "no voice = admit". If you raise different voice then you will get into meaningless argument. It's a lose-lose situation IMO.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-12-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Allan
    The "animals" were just named so for ease of remembering. They represent the fundamental palm changes Sun learned from Cheng. So in essence they were always there.
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

thanks Jake that makes better sense.