Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Three part interview with Master Wong Kiew Kit

Three part interview with Master Wong Kiew Kit

Have a copy of Master Wongs Shaolin Kung Fu that I have read several times and is a great reference. Great interviews !

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Have a copy of Master Wongs Shaolin Kung Fu that I have read several times and is a great reference. Great interviews !
    Thanks.

I have the book as well, and yes it is a great book, so good infact that when my first copy fell apart, I gave it to a friend who was interested in kung fu, and then I went and bought myself a brand new copy.

His work is somewhat interesting.

Some of his claims are outlandish and he is not a practical teacher as far as how to actually use Kung Fu in a practical sense.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    His work is somewhat interesting.

Some of his claims are outlandish and he is not a practical teacher as far as how to actually use Kung Fu in a practical sense.

I believe that you should read some of his literature. If you did, then you would see that he sees Shaoling kung fu and Tai chi as combat arts, and that is how he teaches them.

Watch the interview again to see that he refers to the fighting aspect of kung fu....

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post

I believe that you should read some of his literature. If you did, then you would see that he sees Shaoling kung fu and Tai chi as combat arts, and that is how he teaches them.

Watch the interview again to see that he refers to the fighting aspect of kung fu....

I own his books and I have read them and no he does not teach as a fighting art he is highly esoteric in his approach and doesn't spend much time teaching practical fighting with the arts.

he sticks to forms, highly compliant drills and choreographed 2 man sets with virtually zero sparring at anything beyond the level of two man drills.

I do appreciate his depth of understanding, but I see him as missing out on some pretty important pieces of martial arts development.

If you did, then you would see that he sees Shaoling kung fu and Tai chi as combat arts, and that is how he teaches them....
    How does making clouds change shapes translate into fighting skills?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    How does making clouds change shapes translate into fighting skills?
    Well, if you can make rain fall on your opponents head, then you can distract him enough to sucker punch him.....

I own his books and I have read them and no he does not teach as a fighting art he is highly esoteric in his approach and doesn't spend much time teaching practical fighting with the arts.
    I guess the Canadian edition of his book is different to the one I own....

:he sticks to forms, highly compliant drills and choreographed 2 man sets with virtually zero sparring at anything beyond the level of two man drills.
    Everything that you have mentioned above are part and parcel of fighting training, if practiced correctly, together with actual sparring.

From my readings Wong Kiew Kit's literature it is very apparent that they train free sparring, but that they do so after following a learning procedure, and not "from day one", which as far as TCMA training is concerned very wrong.

Before learning to fight through free sparring, one has to be familiar with principles,concepts and aspects such as basic techniques and rooting.

:I do appreciate his depth of understanding, but I see him as missing out on some pretty important pieces of martial arts development.
    I disagree, he teaches kung fu the way it should be taught, and in all of its aspects.

I guess the Canadian edition of his book is different to the one I own....
    They are the same books across the world. His shaolin kung fu and his qigong books.

Everything that you have mentioned above are part and parcel of fighting training, if practiced correctly, together with actual sparring.

From my readings Wong Kiew Kit's literature it is very apparent that they train free sparring, but that they do so after following a learning procedure, and not "from day one", which as far as TCMA training is concerned very wrong.

Before learning to fight through free sparring, one has to be familiar with principles,concepts and aspects such as basic techniques and rooting.
    He does not encouraged free sparring and doesn't move out of compliance drills and 2 man sets. In short, he has NO free style sparring (si yao da). As well, Who said anything about day one? Nobody. So please stop adding assumptions and deal with the information that is laid down. You wind up with convoluted threads and people who detest your style of conversation because you keep assuming and then putting words in peoples mouths. Please stop it will you.

I disagree, he teaches kung fu the way it should be taught, and in all of its aspects.
    YOu are free to form and hold to your opinion. I have nothing against the guy, but his Kung Fu in my opinion is weak and that shines through in his books, his videos and his demonstrations. He missed out on something and got himself attracted to something else.

Also, he has written some highly questionable things that put him into the cult of personality model and as well can easily be perceived as somewhat delusional due to those writings. (moves clouds with his chi, moves chi around the world to cure cancer and other amazing feats of chi which are quite obvious to anyone with 1/2 a brain that...well, Like I said, all are free to form their own opinion.

Mine is that this guy does not have real Kung Fu and that he is a silk pajama salesman in many ways with far too many beliefs that overshadow true realities.

Years ago I remember his students talking about learning through some kind of qi transmission or drawing from some kind of universal knowledge base. Basically, they claimed their qigong would allow them to actually learn something like Chen taiji quan without prior training or exposure, spontaneously. This combined with the cloud moving, distance cancer curing, and some other nutty things pretty much caused me to avoid any of his material. I've seen some video posted from his school by his students claiming to be high level sparring, but it was clearly full or semi-choreographed low speed sparring sets. I mean, you're welcome to post some video that might change my mind, but from what I've seen and read from him and his students, his material just not worth bothering with. If he has anything of quality, I doubt that you couldn't find it someplace else with less nonsense attached.

Do they spar?

Wahnam student in San Shou 2006, you decide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYxNNFQpinA
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Quote Originally Posted by Liokault View Post
    Do they spar?

Wahnam student in San Shou 2006, you decide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYxNNFQpinA
    I would say that neither of those guys have spent time learning how to enter and maintain control in a fight.

If those were under standard sanshou rules, then both of those guys are lacking in skill.

as one is a black belt of some sort, I would say that his showing was poor at best.

No offense. But all that needs work.

I would say that neither of those guys have spent time learning how to enter and maintain control in a fight.

If those were under standard sanshou rules, then both of those guys are lacking in skill.

as one is a black belt of some sort, I would say that his showing was poor at best.

No Offense taken, neither of the guys are anything to do with me, I was just there watching, and its not even my YouTube clip.

I agree, neither of the guys fighting were good. In fact, the lack of competence suggests a low frequency of "full contact" sparring" at best.

I know at least one club that entered this event (a Chen tai chi club) put there people up for it without them having done any full contact sparring at all (I know this for a fact as I had a chat to some of them after one of their guys asked in the rules briefing "do we need a gum shield"!)

The rules were not standard "international" san shou rules, in that while punches and kicks are allowed to any area apart from the spine/back of the head; no points are given unless the blow knocks the other person to the ground. I diverge, but I do like these rules!
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Quote Originally Posted by david jamieson View Post
    i would say that neither of those guys have spent time learning how to enter and maintain control in a fight.

As one is a black belt of some sort, i would say that his showing was poor at best.

i totally agree i own and love his books, but hes a little out there as far as his understanding of real combat!! He has a lot of knowledge and i like his forms and stuff, but hes very rehearsed and more esoteric!!