Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TCMA / Kung Fu Approaches that I like:

TCMA / Kung Fu Approaches that I like:

The obvious is my Sifu's approach which has always been open to cross training through exposure to other systems. He's always stated that he knows his stuff so he's not afraid that students will leave if they're exposed to other systems because they'll always come back for good kung fu... he's right. We always come back for the good kung fu.

Anyway...

I like Liang Shou Yu's universal approach meaning that style and geography aren't as important as techniques and philosophy (at least that's my take after reading a couple of his books). I like that a person could learn a Southern and a Northern system in the same school. He does seem to make a difference between the internal and external approaches in his writing but stresses the importance of doing both. I'd actually credit him with giving us westerners the notion that there's only Shuai, Na, Ti, Da in kung fu.

I like the New York San Da MMA approach to CMA, same with Tony Chen. I guess you can put Alexander Tao's no nonsense hard core kung fu in there too.

And lets not forget YouKnowWho and David Lin and the Combat Shuai Chiao organization. Excellent approaches.

I like all of these people for their focus on combat above style or name. I like the balanced, universal approach to martial arts study.

How about you guys... Thoughts?

Nice of you to mention Tony Chen

Sadly, I'm not training under Sifu Chen anymore as he is devoting his energy to promoting live fights with Wulin Feng. In fact, there's one this Saturday in Las Vegas. Sifu Chen invited me to go, but unfortunately I have a prior family commitment. It's killing me as it's the second offer for a Vegas trip for one of these fights I've had to turn down. DS went to the first one last year (see our 2010 January/February issue: USA vs. China (or Blood and Rhinestones))

WuLinFeng Las Vegas Spectacular

Date: Saturday, November 13th, 2010
    Time: 7:00 PM
    Price: $75 - $150
    Venue: Harrahs Ballroom
    Reservations: 866-998-3427
    Online Reservations: Purchase Tickets

"It has taken a whole year for WuLinFeng organization to select the Chinese fighters for this competition. Each and every one of them had to earn their place in the team," commented Dennis Warner, president of In Sync Productions.

Fighters, representing the United States on November 13th come from all parts of the country: Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, California, Arizona and Nevada. They are the experienced combatants and the up and coming star.

Much tension surrounded the match up for Kang En, a former WBC MuayThai International champion after American fighter, Kevin Ross refused to defend his WBC MuayThai International title against Kang En. Ben Yelle of Michigan will now take a chance against the Chinese icon. Yelle’s TKO earlier this year against Ray Cole became a memorable performance for the California fan crowd. Both fighters possess comprehensive elbow strike skills, and therefore will fight according to full rules.

Las Vegas favorite, Jack Thames will stand up to Guang Hong, the star of the Art of War championship and national champion of China. Thames is coming off of two wins by KO and TKO against Mike Ryan of Los Angeles, and Eric Utsch of Penn. respectively. Thames is also set for a re-match with Craig Buchanan for a WBC MuayThai National middleweight belt after a controversial fight result in April of this year.

Heath "Cowboy" Harris is stepping into the ring with the leader of the Chinese team Wang Hongxiang, who demonstrated a spectacular win over Joe Schilling last year in Las Vegas. Harris is best-known for his knockouts, 28 knockouts out of 29 wins.

Two full-rules and seven modified-rules Muay Thai fights will make up the fight card at Harrah’s Las Vegas. The modified bouts will operate in the three rounds/three minute structure and will not include elbows.

Complete fight card is as follows:

WBC Muaythai International Super Lightweight Bout 5rds.
    Ben Yelle vs Kang En

WBC Muaythai Super Featherweight Bout 5rds.
    Nat McIntyre vs Li Ning

WuLinFeng Cruiserweight Bout 3rds.
    Andy Kapel vs Guo Qiang

WuLinFeng Middleweight Bout 3rds.
    Jack Thames vs Hong Guang

WuLinFeng Light Heavyweight Bout 3rds.
    Heath Harris vs Wang Hongxiang

WuLinFeng Super Welterweight Bout 3rds.
    TBA vs Xu Yan

WuLinFeng Welterweight Bout 3rds
    Alfred Khashakyan vs Lin Shuai

WuLinFeng Women’s Featherweight Bout 3rds.
    Tiffany vanSoest vs Wang Cong

WuLinFeng Middleweight Bout 3rds.
    Adrien Grotte vs Yi Long
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I like the TCMA

1. they share universal approach or some common grounds

3 levels of the body, da na shuai die etc

2. they also specialize in a certain skill

xing yi use the hand like a spear

ba gua use the hand like a sword

ba ji use the body to kao

tai chi specialize in following

----

I like the phases of MA life, and the breadth of interesting activity.

Apprentice
    The gauwky youngster phase where its all so foreign, and your body just doesn't want to do what your trying on.

The comfortable stage where you begin to get it, and get some results that you can count on.

The testing stage where you put your training to the test, [in whatever manner applies to your lifestyle and personal requirements :-)]

Journeyman
    The exploration stage, where you look at the raw materials and become creative, based upon your experience. Putting the custom edge on your blade. Developing the subtle and unconventional skills and other 'intellectual' pursuits. You begin to teach maybe..

Coach
    The Teaching stage and for want of better term, the health and sanity stage where you try to keep what you have with an ever more uncooperative body.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Blog Entries
    In TCMA, I like the separation between "sport" and "combat". When you

- complete your throw, your opponent can rotate and have safe break fall.
    - throw your opponent 1/2 way, your oponent can only rotate 1/2 way and end with head down first.
    - keep your body moving, you can take your opponent down.
    - stop moving and sink down, you can hurt your opponent's leg joints.

This kind of separation can make the "sport" safe and "combat" effective.

Emphasis on foundation work, good combat skill and most important on ethics.

KC
    Hong Kong

Yee's Hung Gar the china town branch, is a great school. They teach forms and all the traditional stuff and work the application for modern attacks. They also have regular sparring classes and adapt their traditional techniques to modern sport competition as well.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    In TCMA, I like the separation between "sport" and "combat". When you

- complete your throw, your opponent can rotate and have safe break fall.
    - throw your opponent 1/2 way, your oponent can only rotate 1/2 way and end with head down first.
    - keep your body moving, you can take your opponent down.
    - stop moving and sink down, you can hurt your opponent's leg joints.

This kind of separation can make the "sport" safe and "combat" effective.
    Word......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Word......
    The online discussion is all about "words". The internet discussion is not online teaching class. There is no economic reason to share video for free.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-10-2010 at 04:56 AM.

Basics and Applications.

The key to good TCMA or any martial arts is application of the techniques or methods taught. My class was generally ran like this:

1. Conditioning and stance training. (Warm up and rooting drills)

2. Basics (Punch, Kick, Throw, Block)

3. Circuit Training (Bag work, mitt work, kick shield, ect.)

4. Sparring (Moderate to heavy depending on the night, but equipment we wore was 16oz boxing gloves, shin guards, mouth piece, head gear if sparring heavy.)
    or
    Throws and takedowns (Often this includes ground submission work, positions,escapes, ect,) *also do San Shou sparring which incorporates both

5. Forms (usually the last 15-20 minutes of class practicing and keeping up on forms for the sake of testing and carrying on the tradition of the style.)
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

The online discussion is all about "words". The internet discussion is not online teaching class. There is no economic reason to share video for free.
    yes.

the contest/dispute of mouth water. kou shui zhi zheng 口水之争

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    kou shui zhi zheng 口水之争
    When someone doesn't believe what you have just said, you then put up a clip to prove it.

1st - Why do you need to prove it?
    2nd - Are you trying to show off with your video?
    3rd - Do you understand that some information just should not be shared in public?
    4th - Did this forum just change policy such as "no videro -> never happened"?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-10-2010 at 12:40 PM.

Hey- come on now, this is supposed to be a positive thread about what's right with TCMA and how some people approach training that's more than applicable in today's environment using pretty much nothing but traditional methodology.

That's why I threw you in Master Wang - anybody that's seen combat SC and knows who your master was knows that you are the real deal. Forget about all of the negative poseur posters. Who cares about them anyway.

Blog Entries
    I do have a video "how to hurt your opponent's knee" to prove my point "the difference between sport and combat". But I just don't think it's proper to show it online.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-10-2010 at 01:45 PM.

I do have a video "how to hurt your opponent's knee" to prove my point "the difference between sport and combat". But I just don't think it's proper to show it online.
    John, over the many years I have done MA I have probably learned more ways to damage a knee than I care to remember, do you think that it takes a "Master" to figure out how to hurt someone ?
    If people want to hurt someone there are 100's of easier ways to do it then with MA skill that takes TONS of practice.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !