Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Leg Posting, Hanging Leg, YGKYM and the No Shadow Kick

Single Leg Posting, Hanging Leg, YGKYM and the No Shadow Kick

I am interested in the concept of the 'no shadow kick' Most often, it seems, it is tied into the hanging leg method and single leg post. True enough, but I have seen (and felt) no shadow kick from fair and equal YGKYM. No telegraph, no displacement of shoulder line or centre. Sigong Tsui Sheung Tin said GM Ip Man could NSK from either double weight or single weight position. Either leg. Wow
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    I am interested in the concept of the 'no shadow kick' Most often, it seems, it is tied into the hanging leg method and single leg post. True enough, but I have seen (and felt) no shadow kick from fair and equal YGKYM. No telegraph, no displacement of shoulder line or centre. Sigong Tsui Sheung Tin said GM Ip Man could NSK from either double weight or single weight position. Either leg. Wow
    ----------------------------------------
    so can the good people in IM wing chun
    IM showed the way.

Check out the book, "The Ip Man Question", it had some very good incite on Ip Man and kicking.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

I have had great results using VT kicks in fights. Non telegraphic action makes it very hard to read.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 07-21-2012 at 06:43 PM.

All initial strikes should be no shadow.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    All initial strikes should be no shadow.
    ---------------------------------------------------

yup. wc101

general address

can you explain to me ,how you can success to hide a spontaneous kick ,if you are not full time 100 % back leg ?

there is obviously at one point ,one transition from one stance to another ,so how do you organise ?

can you explain to me ,how you can success to hide a spontaneous kick ,if you are not full time 100 % back leg ?
    Practice

there is obviously at one point ,one transition from one stance to another ,so how do you organise ?
    Well ive done a weighted version of WC like yours and ive done TST (neutral weight) as well.
    To me, its not just about the weight, but the YGKM as well. Keep in mind this stance varies from lineage to lineage and youll find that someone that can do the kick as discussed comes from a taller stance at about shoulder width. TST is a great example of this. It can be done
    Im guessing youll have more abducted stance, but lower which makes it harder to do.
    Having said that, the back weighted stance allows you to shoot multiple kicks (of the same leg) a lot easier.... i use this in MT to a degree (though stand a lot taller)

but shifting from once stance to another one ,you have a momentum

and if its not your basic stance ,what you can perform with the hand regarding one stance
    you will loose it with the other stance

concerning mine ,i can adjust tall or lower (without problem for kicking) ,just bending more my back leg

the goal is to be equal regarding what to perform for both legs and arms in any kind of situation

in other words ,two arms and one leg are always in motion together,allowing attacks without having our own arms attack killing our potential kick or the opposite

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Practice

Well ive done a weighted version of WC like yours and ive done TST (neutral weight) as well.
    To me, its not just about the weight, but the YGKM as well. Keep in mind this stance varies from lineage to lineage and youll find that someone that can do the kick as discussed comes from a taller stance at about shoulder width. TST is a great example of this. It can be done
    Im guessing youll have more abducted stance, but lower which makes it harder to do.
    Having said that, the back weighted stance allows you to shoot multiple kicks (of the same leg) a lot easier.... i use this in MT to a degree (though stand a lot taller)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Correct. You can kick with either leg without telegraphing. The details of the stance is the key.
    You can shift or not shift---depends on context in applications.

Ng Chan's back leg stance-I don't do. Leung Shun also did that- hence Leung Ting.

the difference is still that you losing one thin moment when you free the leg kicking from the weight on it to be re balance to the other one

so thats not what i can call 100 % no telegraphic

and thats a physical law

if in this case you dont re balance ,you cannot really lift the leg

100% back leg , problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by MOSHE View Post
    the difference is still that you losing one thin moment when you free the leg kicking from the weight on it to be re balance to the other one

so thats not what i can call 100 % no telegraphic

and thats a physical law

if in this case you dont re balance ,you cannot really lift the leg

100% back leg , problem solved
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Moshe-I understand your view but our assumptions are different. If your tail to head structure and the back are straight and you are evenly balanced on ALL sides right/left, front/back, up/down
    and the knees NOT deeply bent, you can move fast without telegraphing. Back weighting can make the front leg fast-but not the back leg. Also back leg stance makes one vulnerable to competent grapplers coming in low. If someone is back weighted you give important advance information that if you kick it will be your front leg. Even if the front leg is fast-it can be jammed or caught.

This is getting good. I'm hoping to get into footwork and no shadow kicking.
    For me, the cinnamon test is from YGKYM; straight front kick...back to line. No...Shadow. Almost defies gravity.

When you want to kick with the back
    Leg even from a neutral stance or back leg full support
    You are in the same situation , having to transfer forward the weight support
    Like walking
    Last edited by MOSHE; 07-23-2012 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MOSHE View Post
    When you want to kick with the back
    Leg even from a neutral stance or back leg full support
    You are in the same situation , having to transfer forwar the weight support
    Like walking
    Good question...where does the power come from?? To remain still one must absorb collecting energies...and pan out smooth and neutral...as u optimise the attack