Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouthgards and protective gear

Mouthgards and protective gear

wanted to ask others opinions on this, esp MMA or full contact fighters. I use a cheap mouthguard boil adn bite and it sux. so I asked one of my MMA students and he told me about fightdentist makes them for 175.00 and I almost ****e. what do you use and have you heard of this guy? sounds like he trying to get rich.

also Gene or others do you guys sell abrasion shirts? or whom does sell the best ones, my elbows are red as tomatoes being on the mat 5 night s a week.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Most of my guys get a brain pad to train in. They're about $8 at Walmart. For most training, I think they are adequate.

If you want to fight, I'd suggest getting a better (more expensive) one, though.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I train in and have fought with this mouth guard:

http://www.titlemma.com/sf_32/pg_1/c_4/p_SDMP+2+BL.aspx

I custom made mouth piece can be expensive but is your best bet.

If you want a good, cheap compression shirt or rash guard go to Wal Mart and buy the Under Armour knock offs for about 12 bucks.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

most dentists can make custom mouthguards for sports. They're not cheap, but they're not as expensive as that fightdentist. In my area, high school athletes can sometimes get them for free or as little as $25 (sadly, adults pay more... around $75). They're better than off the shelf because they fit you better meaning you'll have an easier time breathing and they're more comfortable.

Not to undercut Gene... but, you should check with your school's t-shirt / uniform supplier... we can get full rash guard shirts with our logo in bulk for about $15 per shirt. We then retail them at $25 in the club. It's a good sideline for your school - rash guards and hoodies... big sellers you know.

I have too nice a smile to buy a boil and bite LOl but i thought 175 was crazy. I will keep looking and let you guys know if I find custom made ones cheaper.

Iron, I even looked at ****s for Under armor rash shirts and they said UA dosnet make them, so what is the knock offs made of? I was looking for nylon adn spandex.

I saw nice ones on line but i hate not being able to try it on.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    I have too nice a smile to buy a boil and bite LOl but i thought 175 was crazy. I will keep looking and let you guys know if I find custom made ones cheaper.

Iron, I even looked at ****s for Under armor rash shirts and they said UA dosnet make them, so what is the knock offs made of? I was looking for nylon adn spandex.

I saw nice ones on line but i hate not being able to try it on.
    The Walmart brand is called Athletic Works, I think. It works just fine.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

shock doctor

I've been using those shock doctors for 15 years. They're excellent. Had one mouthpiece for about 8 years, got a new one, same as before. Need to get a new one soon actually.
    They boil-mold to your mouth, but they allow for excellent breathing and comfort.

for grappling, a boil and bite is fine... for striking tho, esspecially with 4oz gloves, a custom mouthpiece is ESSENTIAL!!!
    Last edited by Syn7; 11-10-2010 at 10:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Martialartsmart

MAM carries Shock Doctor, from their $10 gel maxs (in black, red and blue) to their $150 custom mouthgard (which comes with a free hoody). MAM carries the super cheap mouthguards too for less than $2.

MAM also carries rash guards, but they are short sleeve and won't cover your elbows, ED. If this is for your school, you should get them wholesale through Tiger Claw.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

awesome thanks gene adn everyone for thier posts. I am going to walmart tommorrow thanks guys.
    I did find a dental lab locally to do custom mouth guards for 50.00 so i think im going to give them a call. I have too nice a smile for a cheap one.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

mouthguard won't stop your beautiful teeth getting knocked out unfortunately. it will hopefully stop you getting them put through your lips (and parts of your partners anatomy), biting off your tongue and hopefully lessening some severe concussions/brain damage. will hold the broken off bits of teeth nicely though.

also, when grappling i use an upper piece... but for striking like boxing or muay thai i like the double piece... but for mma, i like the single... i find it easier to breathe in the upper piece, with mma, as it is the most exhausting... i also get hit in the mouth alot less in mma than i do in muay thai...

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    mouthguard won't stop your beautiful teeth getting knocked out unfortunately. it will hopefully stop you getting them put through your lips (and parts of your partners anatomy), biting off your tongue and hopefully lessening some severe concussions/brain damage. will hold the broken off bits of teeth nicely though.
    awhile ago we were sparring and a friend got his tooth stuck in his mouthpiece when he took it out... we had to dig it outta the gel so he could put it back in and keep going... despite everyone saying he should stop for the day... he rinsed his mouth out, chewed on some gauze for 20 minutes and then started sparring again...

B trunks
    ha ha hopefully all those years of practice adn experience will keep me from getting knocked out. LOL I evade and block pretty well, but these young guys feel like they got something to prove LOL.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan