Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mouthgards and protective gear

Greetings,

http://www.ringside.com/Shock-Doctor...tinfo/SHOCK10/

Another alternative might be to go directly to a dental laboratory, cutting the dentist out of the way; or, by going to a university school of dentistry.

mickey

hey mickey, beleive it or not a dental lab cant make the impression.... it must be done a lisenced DDS. I did find a dentist who is going to do it for 50 bucks in case anyone else out there wants to save 125.00 any color yu want cotanct me for the info.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

I have 2 of the Everlast.com $30 ones and 3 of these no name ones for $5 as backups. All are double mouthguards. I fight MT and MMA about 2-3 times a year and get hit a lot. Plenty of hard sparring, especially during fight prep.

The $50-175 custom guards are always the single/top only. Not sure why this is good b/c when you get tired, you will open your mouth wider & wider to breathe....thus your teeth are not clenched. Wouldn't this be dangerous? Sometimes the single guard can fly off when your not clenched and get hit in the mouth.

I find it harder to breathe with the single b/c how can you when your teeth are clenched? The double have breathing holes. The Everlast has a very large hole. Instructors like the single b/c they can give instructions w/o having to take it out, esp. when they're sparring you.

Also, during grappling, it's crucial to wear a mouthguard b/c when you get choked, most times you will clench your teeth w/o knowing it.....bone grinding on bone can cause cracked teeth.

I'm not sure how good my $30 Everlast is vs. my $5 ones....but a single tooth implant runs about $3000-4000 with lots of follow up appointments and pain. A crown for a cracked tooth is $500-1300.

I also buy at least one new $30 one every year to be safe.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    if it has a larger breathing hole, wouldn't it mean that your teeth aren't clenched?
    I would think that it would be easier to get your jaw broken..
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

The $50-175 custom guards are always the single/top only. Not sure why this is good b/c when you get tired, you will open your mouth wider & wider to breathe....thus your teeth are not clenched. Wouldn't this be dangerous? Sometimes the single guard can fly off when your not clenched and get hit in the mouth.
    they are cusioned enough that will protect top and bottom sets of teeth. also witha dentist custom fit one they cannot fly our it actaully takes a lot fo pressure to pull it off your self, its suctions tot eh roof of your mouth.

I find it harder to breathe with the single b/c how can you when your teeth are clenched? The double have breathing holes. The Everlast has a very large hole.
    you shoudl always breath through your nose , never the mouth

I'm not sure how good my $30 Everlast is vs. my $5 ones....but a single tooth implant runs about $3000-4000 with lots of follow up appointments and pain. A crown for a cracked tooth is $500-1300
    this is why a REAL mouth guard is essential. if anyone wants one let me know i will give you the info on how to save 125.00

I also buy at least one new $30 one every year to be safe.
    be smart as well, after you listed prices on dental work wouldnt you want o spend the extra 30 bucks!
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    if it has a larger breathing hole, wouldn't it mean that your teeth aren't clenched?
    I would think that it would be easier to get your jaw broken..
    Your teeth are braced onto the mouth guard. All double guards have holes otherwise you won't be able to breathe. Some have a supporting bar right down the center of the hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCqn8...eature=related
    Last edited by gunbeatskroty; 11-15-2010 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    they are cusioned enough that will protect top and bottom sets of teeth. also witha dentist custom fit one they cannot fly our it actaully takes a lot fo pressure to pull it off your self, its suctions tot eh roof of your mouth.
    Your teeth has to always be clenched though in order for it to protect right?

Man, how is this even possible in a fight? I just fought three 3 minute rounds of MT and I don't see this happening any time soon. And how would you breathe out when you punch/kick?

be smart as well, after you listed prices on dental work wouldnt you want o spend the extra 30 bucks!
    Until they make the double mouth guard, I can't go with them.

it doesnt matter how good you are, if you are doing quality sparring with quality opponents you will get your bell rung... if not, you arent training with good enough partners...

hey mickey, beleive it or not a dental lab cant make the impression.... it must be done a lisenced DDS. I did find a dentist who is going to do it for 50 bucks in case anyone else out there wants to save 125.00 any color yu want cotanct me for the info.
    he'll do the impression or he'll make the whole thing??? fair price for an impression i guess... considering an xray is like 25 buck where i live... does he make them himself or does he just make the impression then use professional mouthguard kits for the soft gel and exoskeleton??? 50 buck is so cheap it doesnt seem right... if so, they are prolly highschool football quality... gotta see it to believe this one...

lol... spoken like someone who hasnt done it... it gets progressively harder to breathe thru your nose during an mma match... being hit in the nose cause it to stuff up with blood and such, and as you get more and more tired and require more and more oxygen the nose holes just arent big enough...

you have to pick ur moments, you dont wanna get tapped in the jaw with ur mouth open but then you dont have to always be clenched during a fight... there are times where you can take a breath, even relax and breathe... you have to... no choice... if you taped ur mouth shut you would suffocate and pass out... the nose just aint enough sometimes... experience will teach you this if you ever decide to step in the cage...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    lol... spoken like someone who hasnt done it... it gets progressively harder to breathe thru your nose during an mma match... being hit in the nose cause it to stuff up with blood and such, and as you get more and more tired and require more and more oxygen the nose holes just arent big enough...

you have to pick ur moments, you dont wanna get tapped in the jaw with ur mouth open but then you dont have to always be clenched during a fight... there are times where you can take a breath, even relax and breathe... you have to... no choice... if you taped ur mouth shut you would suffocate and pass out... the nose just aint enough sometimes... experience will teach you this if you ever decide to step in the cage...
    No doubt. Also, double mouth guards I feel are much harder to breath in. I have done boxing and kickboxing matches with single mouthguards and been clocked pretty hard and never had any teeth damage. Also, like Syn said, during a fight there is a good chance your nose will get busted, making it hard to breathe through it. It always cracks me up with traditional guys have this "don't do" regiment that will immediately get you KOed. That is not the case.

Full contact fighting important tips:

1. Steady breathing

2. Keep your hands up

3. Tuck your chin

4. Hit harder, faster, and more often than your opponent.

See, that's not so hard, is it.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

gunbeat
    Your teeth has to always be clenched though in order for it to protect right?
    yes

Man, how is this even possible in a fight? I just fought three 3 minute rounds of MT and I don't see this happening any time soon. And how would you breathe out when you punch/kick?
    training yourself to breath through the nose takes work, just like marathon runners they breath through the nose. its the best way to breath.

sny
    what do you mean spoken like someone who hasnt done it? If your referring to me I fight in my cage every night and train my fighters to nose breath. If your nose gets broken then of course you must rely on mouth breathng, but through the nose is the way you should train. just like running

he'll do the impression or he'll make the whole thing??? fair price for an impression i guess... considering an xray is like 25 buck where i live... does he make them himself or does he just make the impression then use professional mouthguard kits for the soft gel and exoskeleton??? 50 buck is so cheap it doesnt seem right... if so, they are prolly highschool football quality... gotta see it to believe this one...
    they will do the impression and make the guard. no kit is used its the same as the fightdentist.com look at his, BTW stop assuming they are high school football quality. He is a friend of mine and has made them for everyone of my fighters so far. its inexpensive becuse the powder to make the impression adn the special polyresin to make the guard costs about 1.80 the rest is his time. If you want one you can find them at www.proesthetics.com call and ask for Joe pricoprio
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 11-16-2010 at 07:54 AM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

training yourself to breath through the nose takes work, just like marathon runners they breath through the nose. its the best way to breath.
    Do you have fight videos of yourself so we can see that you're not opening your mouth to breath (when your nose is intact)?

its a rule of thumb and a way to train your bad habits to good habits, not the bible. Dont take things so literal.

TRY to breath through the nose as much as you can this stops you from panting and loosing the breath.

If you are out of breath and you can no longer breath properly through the nose then obviously you must open the mouth, but dont train or pratice with the mouth open.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

getting the oxygen in your system is far more important than the orifice you use to get the oxygen in ya...

you didnt say breathe thru your nose while you can... you said:

you always seem to be backpeddling...