Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mouthgards and protective gear

I still would like to know which offers more protection, the single or double mouth guards. Seems like nobody knows. Pros seems to all use single guards.

Maybe I'll try asking my dentist.

And training to breathe through the nose only is totally unheard of b/c we train to exhale when we strike for more power....and it also helps absorb the impact should we get hit with a body shot.
    Last edited by gunbeatskroty; 11-16-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbeatskroty View Post
    I still would like to know which offers more protection, the single or double mouth guards. Seems like nobody knows. Pros seems to all use single guards.

Maybe I'll try asking my dentist.

And training to breathe through the nose only is totally unheard of b/c we train to exhale when we strike for more power....and it also helps absorb the impact should we get hit with a body shot.
    ok... a double mouthgaurd technically provides more protection from impact... but an upper is good enough, and is easier to breathe with... i wear a double in MT or boxing but not for grappling or mma for the following two reasons... first, i get hit in the mouth a whole bunch more in boxing or MT than i do in MMA... two, i dont get tired in boxing and MT the way i do grappling or in a tough MMA round... an upper is enough and i have more access to air without having to spit it out... which i have, when grappling, dont care about teeth at that point, i need air badly...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    ok... a double mouthgaurd technically provides more protection from impact... but an upper is good enough, and is easier to breathe with... i wear a double in MT or boxing but not for grappling or mma for the following two reasons... first, i get hit in the mouth a whole bunch more in boxing or MT than i do in MMA... two, i dont get tired in boxing and MT the way i do grappling or in a tough MMA round... an upper is enough and i have more access to air without having to spit it out... which i have, when grappling, dont care about teeth at that point, i need air badly...
    I think this is the main crossroad here, air. The single is giving you more air b/c you're opening your mouth wider & wider ...the more you gas. The tighter you clench your teeth, restricting air, the greater your protection. But when you're gassing, nothing matters...your hands are down, you're moving like a zombie and your mouth is wide open trying to breathe. So now your teeth are pretty much unguarded.

I've had good success with the Everlast $25-30 double guard that has a very large opening. I breathe well with it. When I gas, like in a recent fight....looking at the video, I'm spitting it out a little but my teeth are still clenched. I also feel that this has helped me from getting KO'ed a few times b/c my teeth are always clenched. Only problem is, after about 8-12 months, this Everlast starts to sag downward due to the hole being so large (compared to others) and the hole gets more restricted. But you still should buy a new one every year anyway. My cheap $5 backup double guards have a bar right down the middle of the hole for support, but this restricts airflow.

Another minor theory I have as to why Pros use single guards is due to the double guards looks very unattractive on camera, thus bad for promotions, product endorsements, etc.

SNY,
    I dont have to back peddle, my advice was given as a proper way to train, not be be taken so literal if your nose is broken, you can implenemt common sense here.

that is for beginers to get acustom to proper breathing techniques, you dont have to kiyai danielsan.

PS you dental work is worth thousands, why buy a off the shelf boil and bite cheepy to protect you teeth? get a professional detal one made, adn this place is the best for the price, give them a call
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbeatskroty View Post
    Another minor theory I have as to why Pros use single guards is due to the double guards looks very unattractive on camera, thus bad for promotions, product endorsements, etc.
    you think so??? i never thought of it that way...

personally, i tried both and just settled into what i prefer naturally... sometimes i want a double, other times i wanna single...

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    S

that is for beginers to get acustom to proper breathing techniques, you dont have to kiyai danielsan.
    Are you kidding me? Many pro boxers, pro MMA fighters, etc...breathe out when they strike. Have you ever watched any fights at all?

You say you train fighters. Do your fighters fight MMA or do they fight in Kung Fu points tournaments where they wear chest protector and headgear with full face mask?

Do you have videos of your fighters or you fighting and/or sparring? I'd like to see how long they last before they open their mouths to breathe.
    Last edited by gunbeatskroty; 11-17-2010 at 11:47 PM.

its impossible to not mouth breathe with your jaw dragging on the floor all vulnerable when you are in a hard mma match... the trick is to pick ur spots... know when you can and cant get away with it... you know the old saying, its the one you dont see that hurts the most... keep that in mind and when youre grappling make sure he cant hit you in the head if you need a breather... if ur standing you just back off, they either let you or they dont...

gunbeat
    Are
    you kidding me? Many pro boxers, pro MMA fighters, etc...breathe out when they strike. Have you ever watched any fights at all?
    exhaling when you strike? yes some do to remind them, like a short quick breath when hitting the bag or pad work and it is almost always through the nose. but you said you breath out to help absorb the impact of a strike, this is false and impossible to do when fighting. you train to breath in a rhythm to sustain your endurance. You cannot breath out everytime your opponents hits you or it breaks this rhythm. and you gas quickly.

I train fighters in a daily basis, I do know what I am talking about here, not trying to argue but what are your opinions comming from? are you a coach? a trainer? a fighter? you shouldnt just post out of the limits of your own personal experiance without first asking around.

Unheard of? by whom you? or your teacher? see above,

You say you train fighters. Do your fighters fight MMA or do they fight in Kung Fu points tournaments where they wear chest protector and headgear with full face mask?
    in the early 80's I used to fight ISKA fulll contact, then I coached full contact in the early 90's no point sparring mind you. I have fighters who have fought in the UFC. I currently have pro fighters and amaturers who fight in NY, NC and FLA

Do you have videos of your fighters or you fighting and/or sparring? I'd like to see how long they last before they open their mouths to breathe.
    of course we tape our fights, again me, we and eveyone I know trains to nose breath, it isnt until you desperatly have to open your mouth you do so. ask a runner what orafice they breath from and why... same goes for any sport.

and know I have never watched any fights at all in my life
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 11-18-2010 at 09:10 AM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

exhaling when you strike? yes some do to remind them, like a short quick breath when hitting the bag or pad work and it is almost always through the nose. but you said you breath out to help absorb the impact of a strike, this is false and impossible to do when fighting. you train to breath in a rhythm to sustain your endurance. You cannot breath out everytime your opponents hits you or it breaks this rhythm. and you gas quickly.
    I teach my guys to exhale on strikes, usually using a verbal "hiss." You inhale through your nose, though. Until it gets broken :-P
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

MK
    fair enough, everyone has thier preferences, I know a few that hiss as you said, i know some fighters who like to say (he he) in quick breths, however angelo dundee told me always train to breath through the nose, then when you must breath or gasp for air you still got the mouth, you open the mouth initially you got no where else to draw from.

not sure about the CO expelltion, I would imagine you do expell more through the mouth but not sure how much more, vs keeping your teeth clenched and proper breathing pattern would not be a trade off IMO
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

gunbeat
    Are

Please show me where I said that I train to breathe out every time my opponent hits me. I never said this. I said that I breathe out when I strike for more power but the exhale also helps absorb a counter, especially to the body. You're parsing words just like how you complained about Syn7's comment about having a broken nose and not being able to breathe out of it, etc.

This seems to be going back to the single vs. double mouth guard. You have to breathe through the nose with the single when your teeth are clenched. While with the double, you don't.

I train fighters in a daily basis, I do know what I am talking about here, not trying to argue but what are your opinions comming from? are you a coach? a trainer? a fighter? you shouldnt just post out of the limits of your own personal experiance without first asking around.
    That's why I'm asking you for videos of your fighters in fights. And here's a video of Lucia Rijker vs. Jane Couch. She's not only breathing out of her mouth, she's making a vocal sound. That's certainly not coming out of her nose. Any of your fighters on the same level as Lucia Rijker?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1i4bIc6NjA

How about Manny Pacquiao?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5cxoI9vmDM&feature=fvw
    Last edited by gunbeatskroty; 11-18-2010 at 12:03 PM.

gunbeat

in the early 80's I used to fight ISKA fulll contact, then I coached full contact in the early 90's no point sparring mind you. I have fighters who have fought in the UFC. I currently have pro fighters and amaturers who fight in NY, NC and FLA
    What are the names of these fighters please.

exhaling when you strike? yes some do to remind them, like a short quick breath when hitting the bag or pad work and it is almost always through the nose.

I have fighters who have fought in the UFC.FLA
    oh YOU have fighters in the ufc... man, how long are you gonna ride them fake ass laurels??? 2 alternate matches by a man who would get his ass handed to him today... so what, he won two sloppy undisciplined fights against other sh!tty fighters... yaaaaaay... how bout you post ur ufc/musculardystrophy article jpeg and call ur buddies in for a reach around circle jerk... sucka, please... give us names records and references of fighters who claim YOU as their mentor... unbiased references please... i dont care to read the transcript of ur circlejerks...

look, we all learned the breathe in thru the nose on day one of whatever we practice... ideally, yes, in thru the nose is a good thing... but the bottom line is, if ur in a competative match, you will be mouth breathing at times, broken nose or not... the orifice of the nose just isnt big enough sometimes... so unless your just walking thru an easy fight, there will be mouth breathing... bottom line...

LOL another hater.
    Goodbye Sny you have trolled your way to the top of yet another KFO memebers ignore list..... this makes ummm 5 for you!
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 11-18-2010 at 08:07 PM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan