Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contracting infectious diseases at the gym/kwoon?

Contracting infectious diseases at the gym/kwoon?

While sparring or rolling, how do you protect yourself from contracting something from another student/gym mate? It's quite easy to get cut or to cut someone while sparring or rolling, increasing chances of cross contamination. I understand it is not very likely, but the chance is still there.

Now a days, with increased numbers in HIV or Hepatitis, there is no way to know if someone is a carrier, even if you know them well.

Not too mention the different types of communicable skin diseases, such as herpes, or mrsa.

What steps do you take to protect yourself from contracting something during training? What steps does your gym/kwoon/dojo take to protect you as a student.

What about tournaments? MMA or other full contact events?

I post this thread, not because I have an answer, but because it is a legitimate question. One that I hope experienced martial artists, students and teachers alike may share in there ideas on how to protect oneself.

What can be done, and what do you do?

if you plan to swap blood in the gym on the regular, mandatory testing for all members every so often may be an idea worth considering...

Once again, this is not suggestions for me, this is to ask what safeguards ppl take at their schools. Most schools spar, it's not uncommon to get scuffed up every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Apprentice View Post
    I understand it is not very likely

Actually, it IS very likely.

I have over 175 students and 3 training areas so we have a ton of precautions that we must take compared to when I was much smaller. Some of those precations include
    no outside shoes can be worn on the training areas.
    we mop and bleach and or disinfect the floor every night.
    everyone is blood tested if they are going to fight inside the octagon.
    studetns must tape and or cover any and all open wounds
    students that have any type of disease must inform staff proior to joining.

ringworm is always going to be the most contracted communual disease mrsa can be one of the worst. hep Hiv things like this can ony contract through blood so if they are cut tape, alchohol and careful watchng is the best steps to a clean and heathly kwon
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Very interesting, I wonder if most places have their students blood tested. I think thats a practice more places should employ. E.D., how is it regulated at your school, what I mean is, is there particular lab students must go to, and I assume they bring the test results to you, prior to going in the octagon. Is it a one time deal, or do they have to regularly get tested?

bleach

it is your friend
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

1) A clean gym is a good gym

2) Personal hygiene is paramount to success here

3) no one rolls or spars without a clean bill of health.

#3 is the one that is not addressed properly by most clubs in my opinion.
    For one thing, if you really want to reduce risk here, have the students get a blood test and show the results if they wish to full contact spar or roll.

No point in getting others infected with HIV, Hepatitis, or a host of other blood born pathogens that are easily transmitted in a scenario whereby two people are engaged in combat.

Consider this, if you want to fight on a card, that's what you must do. the same rule should apply for training in my opinion.

If your students do not practice good personal hygiene, send them out to get some before they spar or roll. It's the responsible thing to do.

If people complain about the cost of a blood test, tell them that it's better than complaining about having aids. It's a non starter argument in my opinion.

1. Infectious disease may be air borne, thus a mask,

or just let the sick student not to play for a while.

2. contagious disease from contacting

thus limiting the contact, such as glove and clothing.

again, do not let sick student play till seeing doctors and treated for.

3. bleach will kill most germ and virus.

so wash your hands and take shower before and after playing.

any open wound/scratch seek medical attention right away

and some common sense of personal hygiene

4 a class for common contagious and infectious disease students may get and what are the symptoms, how to prevent etc

5. students signed forms of knowing and attending the class

then they are at their own risk.

---

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    no more carpeted floors-rubber training mats are hygenic and washed daily with antibacterial,antimicrobial, bleach, etc
    Wipe down all equipment after use with clorox wipes
    DON'T SHARE EQUIPMENT (gloves, headgear,wraps, etc)
    Keep hand sanitizer available at all times-did you notice-they now have these at stores, banks etc.
    students do not wear training shoes,feiyues, etc into class, but keep them separate and change into them. Training shoes are not to be worn outside.
    (I don't care if Orlando Bloom wears them!)
    they now sell antibacterial rash guards.
    (a sign of the times)
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

mosturize for people with dry skin, prevent fungal

anti perspiration stuff for people sweat a lot and sticky and slippery, cleab towels

short nails such as pedicure, some germ live under nails

---

I could care less if someone has HIV and accidentally gets thier blood on me.
    Most if not everything else has been advised by people who know.

My experience, and it seems to be the experience of many wrestling coaches as well, is that the DIRTY BASTARDS are the ones who carry and get the plagues

I learned to have a very heavy hand with people who show up in unwashed, stinky clothing. IE "GO HOME"

Other than that, wash you mats with a bleach solution...

Since I went on a jihad against the stinky I have not had a single issue

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by brothernumber9 View Post
    I could care less if someone has HIV and accidentally gets thier blood on me.
    Most if not everything else has been advised by people who know.
    I'm well aware you can't contract something from someone with HIV if they just got their blood on you. However, when sparring full contact it's quite possible for an opponent's blood to make contact with an open wound of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Apprentice View Post
    I'm well aware you can't contract something from someone with HIV if they just got their blood on you. However, when sparring full contact it's quite possible for an opponent's blood to make contact with an open wound of yours.
    There is virtually NOTHING indicating that two bleeding athletes can infect eachother....

People tend to BLEED OUT, not "in"

In addition to something like 50 years of gloden gloves boxing with no blood tests and plenty of blood, you have to look at one of Tommy Morrison's last boxing fights, where he had probably already converted, it was so bloody the ref's shirt was RED at the end (it started out white) and NO ONE associated with that match ever tested positive other than Tommy