Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Building a TCMA Library Thread.

Oh silly foiling fist, you're confused

that's not a Draughtman's Right Angle like you so incorrectly stated. Its's a right angle triangle (and not all of them are transparent or UNUSED).

So what IS the draughtsman's right angle you are referring to? That's the picture I'd like to see

Quote Originally Posted by Foiling Fist View Post
    When stepping forward, the front foot points forward, or outward.

Turning the front foot inward, will require un-weighting and turning foot before stepping; a mistake.

A pigeon-toed martial artist?
    My toes are slightly turned inward on my front foot. It helps my knee protect my groin, and if someone's foot is turned outward I will kick their knee.

My response

Since you know so much about Chinese history and literature, I will answer on equal ground:

從你的天馬行空, 扭曲事實, 胡扯的人身攻擊, 我由最初的憤怒到現在明白你其實很可憐。你心中有很多妒忌怨恨而不自知。你很需要幫助。我很同情你。祝你好 運。

Blog Entries
    Dang Loon.... you sure have an awful lot of free time on your hands
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Muhammad Ali

Ok, I've removed the baiting and insulting posts.
    Carry on.

Stay on topic please. Thanks.
    dave
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Slipping strikes is a valuable tool for any fighter. Staying straight at all times would get rather predictable after awhile doncha think?

I've never heard of a draughtsmans right angle before. Is it any different that everyone elses right angle? lol

It's the same 90 degrees as anywhere else...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Alaska. http://jadedragonalaska.yolasite.com/

Exclamation Red Army Xing Yi Book Review - You (Xue) asked for it. Crybaby?

The initial review I gave the book highly recomended it, and only mentioned 2 mistakes, while praising 6 points.

I held back criticism till Rovere could respond directly, and directed further review questions to me, via direct email, rather than grandstanding.

Rovere's chum Xue Sheng was unhappy with this and asked for more.

I have made all crtiticism direclty to Rovere's face, yet he whines.

Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

See for yourself, documented at:
    http://www.dragonslist.com/community...se-army.23015/

"On the show, viewers were asked to send in postcards describing something that they wanted to see on television, such as the reenactment of William Tell shooting an apple off his son's head. (1950 US national archery champion Stan Overby performed the feat, shooting an apple off his assistant's head.)"

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWQlx6CZMOo
    The Xingyi Quan of the Chinese Army, by Dennis Rovere

I do not agree with some parts of the book, yet nevertheless see it overall as a positive step in the right direction of some classical Hsing-i internals fundamentals.

Since there are a number of concepts that were not published before the 2008 copyright; I highly recommend the book; let the reader sort out for themselves what applies and what does not.

I have not finished the book yet; but some things that caught my attention are outlined below.

“It is rumored that Yue Fei’s Xingyi fist book (a secret text) was developed by Da Mo while he was staying at Song Shan [Song Mountain]. He developed this system for conditioning the body.”
    Preface xxix

This gives a clear reference to Hsing-i’s Buddhist origin.

A number of good points that until then; had not been explicitly stated were on pages 8-9:

“Left shoulder bends while right shoulder follows the body. This allows strength to reach the hand. …

Left hand drops slightly while right hand stretches with power. …

Like a bow, but not exactly like a bow. …

All of the toes should grab the floor. …

If the position is too low the power will be lost. That is why it is better to be higher.”

These all apply to a scissor stepping a moving root and a firmness that is not externally fixed. This firmness is not rigid but ‘stretches’.

Although knowledge in book appears sound, not all of the example photos are. On page 17, it shows two pictures at the bottom; with what appears to the author Dennis Rovere;

Leaning his torso forward, and extending his head. I do not do this, nor do I recommend it, since it causes one to be less rooted, and more committed to a forward motion. One who is skilled will see this forward leaning and lead the person with their own energy. I do not see this in the photos of the old time practitioners. JadeDragonAlaska, Sep 29, 2011 #1 .Offline
    Joe Was
    Zhi Te Fa - BaGua Zhang
    The greatest teacher, traps the student into learning for themselves!
    Thanks, for the review! Joe Was, Sep 30, 2011 #2 .Offline
    Xue Sheng
    Xingyiquan Rules
    JadeDragonAlaska said: ↑
    I have not finished the book yet; .
    Book review on an unfinished book..... alrighty then.... thanks Xue Sheng, Oct 1,
    Xue Sheng said: ↑
    Book review on an unfinished book..... alrighty then.... thanks
    I do not see any comment relating to YOUR READING of the book; only campy pouting
    Last edited by Foiling Fist; 12-04-2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Pansies Whilting http://thesaurus.com/browse/wimp

Holy hell, FF... if you don't like it, write your own **** book about it. Otherwise, STFU... this is annoying, and I'm not even part of the conversation.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

I agree, foiling fist, it's clear that you should simply write a book and express yourself about what you think is what.

Otherwise, your posts have degraded to nothing more than rants and badgering and frankly, they don't make much sense in context and frequently are just too long to read and ranty.

Not to mention, you seem to have problems not haranguing others.

so chill out. ok? thanks.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foiling Fist View Post
    Rovere's chum Xue Sheng was unhappy with this and asked for more.
    I am going against my better judgment here in response to you but I need to clear something up.

Your initial review was based on a partial read of the book. You yourself stated that on another site and I did not understand how you could actually review a book based on a partial read and the review, if memory serves was not all that favorable.

Second what I asked for was a response to a question that you have yet to respond to that I was trying real hard to let go. "Exactly how long did you train with Wong Jackman?" You see I could also list I trained with Chen Zhenglei and Fumio Demura because I did, but in all honestly it was one seminar so I would not call myself a student of Chen Zhenglei or Fumio Demura nor would I call either my teacher.

As to being Rover's Chum.... well if a couple of posts on a website and a PM or two makes us chums in your world then so be it..... I do like his book however….I also like Di Guoyong’s book and Li Tianji’s too so I guess we are all buddies now...not sure Di Guoyong would agree….. But then, I will admit, after all Dennis Rovere and I are neighbors, I mean we do live right next door to one another....he lives in Canada and I live in the USA.

And why did you pick this book to review…oh wait it mysteriously appears after I posted a favorable post about it on another site...after I finished reading the entire book…. and you posted your review, of your partial read, shortly thereafter on the same site....

And why didn’t you start this on EF….oh wait… they banned you….. why didn’t you continue this on DL…oh wait they banned you….why are you off MT….oh wait you said there were conspiring against you

Now why don't you answer questions and respond to statements put to you instead of going on the attack, pointing fingers and just plain being insulting to cover up for your lack of knowledge and understanding?

And why oh why should anyone provide you with any proof of anything or respond to anything you ask since you never do other than cut and past.

There, I'm done.... I feel better now... have a nice day
    Last edited by Xue Sheng; 12-05-2011 at 08:17 AM.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Muhammad Ali

Oh hey, the quiet time chair has come open.

Let's stop all the fussing and feuding and get back to discussing and high fiving.

that is all
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    OK…back to the original post, sorry about the previous rant

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Ok everyone - it's time to list your favorite TCMA books for building a TCMA reference library.

Ground rules: List a MAM link for purchasing the book whenever it's possible because we should be supporting our forum sponsors. If it's not available through MAM, just put the link where we can find it.

Here's one of my favorites: http://www.martialartsmart.com/b-ww005.html
    Kung Fu Elements. It's filled with a lot of basic and foundation exercises and philosophies that are good to know and drill. Plus, the Appendix of styles at the end is an awesome reference source.
    As for me I would have to say if you are building a reference library I would have to start with

Comprehensive Asian Fighting Arts (Bushido--The Way of the Warrior) by Donn F. Draeger and Robert W. Smith

Beyond that it becomes fairly style specific, as it applies to the styles I have trained, as far as reference goes

Xingyiquan

-The Xing Yi Boxing Manual by Jin Yunting
    -Di Guoyong on Xingyiquan by Di Guoyong
    -Xingyiquan: theory, applications, fighting tactics and spirit by Shou-Yu Liang
    -Hebei Style Five Principles and Seven Words Edited by Jin Yun Ting: Translated by John Groschwitz
    -Xing Yi of the Chinese Army by Dennis Rovere
    -Li Tianji's The Skill of Xingyiquan by Li Tianji
    -Xing Yi Nei Gong by Dan Miller and Tim Cartmell
    -XingYi Linked Fist by Li Cunyi
    -Henan Orthodox Xing Yi Chuan by Pei XiRong & Li Ying-Ang
    -XingYi Mu Chuan (Xing Yi Mother Fists) by Jiang Rong-Jiao
    -XingYi Zha Shi Chui & Ba Shi Chuan by Jiang Rong-Jiao

Chen Style Taijiquan

-Chen TaijiQuan by Chen Xiao Wang, Feng Zhi Qiang, & Feng Da Biao
    -Chen Style Taijiquan, Sword and Broadsword by Chen Zhenglei

Yang Style Tajiquan

-Yang Chen Fu: The Essence and Applications of Taijiquan Translated by Louis Swaim
    -Tung Ying Chieh's Red Book
    -Mastering Yang Style Taijiquan By Fu Zhongwen, Louis Swaim

Wing Chun

-Wing Chun Kung Fu: Traditional Chinese King Fu for Self-Defense and Health By Ip Chun, Michael Tse

These I have not read but I will be adding them to my library soon
    -BaGua LianXi Fa by Jiang Rong Qiao
    -WuDang BaGua by Fei YinTao & Fei YuLiang

Heck there are a lot of Baguazhang books here that I would not mind adding to my library

There are other books I wold recommend for a Martial Arts library but I am not sure they would fall under the heading of reference
    Last edited by Xue Sheng; 12-05-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Foiling Fist Diatribe in 3...2...1...

I liked the original idea of this thread... ie. building a TCMA Library.

Unfortunately, it seems that Foiling Fist would rather use it as a platform to further his jealous vendetta (as evidenced by his forthcoming post below) against member-authors who have properly edited and coherent texts with actual publishing deals.

News flash, foiling fist: your book is poorly edited, incoherent, and pure vanity on your part.

As for building a TCMA library:

Thunder in the Sky - Thomas Cleary
    The inner teachings of Taoism - Thomas Cleary
    Last edited by Shǎguā; 12-13-2011 at 08:41 PM.
    傻瓜

Foiling Fist - If you cannot contain yourself and hold back from being insulting and baiting there will be repercussions.

Yes, you are the trouble maker in this thread and I don't want to hear protestations.
    Play nice or face the consequences. You will need to read the terms and conditions of this site again if you need clarity regarding why your posts were inappropriate and removed.

that's your warning.
    Kung Fu is good for you.