Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a TCMA Library Thread.

i am mos def a book collector... but i find nothing more frustrating than instructional MA books... esspecially chinese ones with those freakin drawings and massive gaps between A and B and so on... so i never really took any instructional books very seriously and always read them, get what i can and move on... i got more psycological and spiritual advice than practical fighting techniques...

but off the top of my head...: i found the "72 arts of shaolin" by jin jing zhong to be pretty inspiring when i was young...

i also really enjoy robert w smiths writing... esspecially his "martial musings" book...

Thumbs up

after reading so many techniques with a lot pictures

I am more into theory or summary of functions of techniques.

I second the zhan jiao theory book by david lin.

Sword polishers record by Adma Hsu
    http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Polisher...9490243&sr=1-1

Gold!!!!

EO

American Shaolin was funny, insightful, and great! It's worth reading. http://www.amazon.com/American-Shaol...9570564&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by ironclaw1981 View Post
    1. THE SHAOLIN GRANDMASTERS TEXT
    2. THE ART OF SHAOLIN KUNG FU by WONG KIEW KIT
    3. PRACTICAL KUNG FU by WAYSON JOHNNY TSAI
    THESE ARE THREE THAT I LOOK OVER AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!!
    There aren't many people on here who look at The Shaolin Grandmaster's Text with a kind eye.

Anyway, I already created a thread similar to this months ago:

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ight=scholarly
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 11-12-2010 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostexorcist View Post
    There aren't many people on here who look at The Shaolin Grandmaster's Text with a kind eye.

If it can stay on topic, this thread should be sticky.

I'll have to edit this post later to fill out author names and such.

There's one book in chinese I have, 中国摔交术, Chinese Throwing Skills, that has been quite helpful.

The Art of Chinese Swordsmanship by Zhang Yun, is in a format I like, in that it focuses on form in execution, not form in and of itself.

I have a book in Chinese whose name escapes me now, I'll have to look it up later. It's a Chen style form, step by step, but again, it is the form in usage step by step, not the form.

Chin na fa by liu Jinsheng and Zhao Jiang.

Volume two of Aikido and Chinese Martial arts, the second section, mostly covering sword, is decent for sticking to basics in application, imo.

散打妙摔100招 is one I've been checking out lately.

Anything that is just a person doing forms is not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostexorcist View Post

why i wonder??? i guess it probably offends those that think that shaolin today is the same as its always been!! idk, i think everything is looked at skeptically on here, i enjoyed that book tho

Alaska. http://jadedragonalaska.yolasite.com/

The Xingyi Quan of the Chinese Army, by Dennis Rovere

Since there are a number of concepts that were not published before the 2008 copyright, the book does have some merit; let the reader sort out for themselves what applies and what does not. All of the new concepts are in the translated. This comprises the thirty one pages of preface and the first fourteen pages in Chapter 1, of the one hundred forty four pages; and is good. The rest of the book has demonstrations by Dennis Rovere; which I will cover later.

A number of good points that until then; had not been explicitly stated were on pages 8-9:

“Left shoulder bends while right shoulder follows the body. This allows strength to reach the hand. …

Left hand drops slightly while right hand stretches with power. …

Like a bow, but not exactly like a bow. …

All of the toes should grab the floor. …

If the position is too low the power will be lost. That is why it is better to be higher.”

These all apply to a scissor stepping a moving root and a firmness that is not externally fixed. This firmness is not rigid but ‘stretches’.

The above makes excellent points brought out by the passages translated by Chow Hon Huen; which were based on 1928 book, Huang Bo Nien’s Xingyi Fist and Weapons Instruction, a credit to them.

Since the work is not Rovere’s, nor did he translate it; his comments are questionable.

I see major discrepancies in Rovere’s posed photographs; between the illustrations that are in the background of his poses, in classic Hsing-I fundamentals, and universal martial concepts.

On page eighteen, Rovere writes:
    “If your weight is back-weighted, basic bio-mechanics will show that you will be prevented from delivering all of your force into the target.

Double weightedness is good for pushing and pulling, such as pushing a car, lifting weights, or a tug-of-war. Fighting is much more dynamic and requires the transfer of the power base-stance; to accommodate the best focused wave. Would anyone have a fixed double weighted stance when they surfed, or snow boarded?

Having your stance back-weighted also leads to another problem, namely, a tendency to straighten the front leg. Any low kick, such as a Xingyi horse kick targeting the straightened knee, would easily cause it to hyperflex, severely damaging it.”

An external kick is limited by biomechanics, an internally generated kick is not.

When one is seasoned by sparring and/or combat; they always keep the front leg slightly bent; one who spends there time on forms/Katas does not. When you advance, your training prevents this.

A major foundation of Traditional Internal Chinese Martial Arts is the stance concept of having either leg being empty or full. This is not weight, although sometimes they are the same. This is fullness of Qi, stance rooting and a centering of the driving energy.
    This is the generator of the wave flow force, using the whole body weight being directed into the strike. Kinematics deal s with this somewhat, not biomechanics.

“Sung Shi-Jung
    …Therefore, in Hsing-I never equally share the weight on your two feet.”
    Hsing-I, Chinese Mind-Body Boxing, by Robert W. Smith, page 98.

No real internal talk in photo dialog or any mention of San Ti Qigong.

Dennis Rover ‘is the first non-Asian to receive special recognition as a martial arts instructor from the government of the People’s Republic of China’, page 144. Why would they recognize him if he was not practical? The People’s Republic of China has not taught this Hsing-i to their military for decades, so they give up some de-clawed and outdated methods to China’s main military competition; America/Great Britain.

Rovere was taught by Colonel of the Central Military Academy at Nanjing; who should have been the one posing for the photos to insure quality. This might have been the best for the West in 1974; but it is not now. Perhaps most westerners will never understand the deeper aspects of Hsing-i; if that is the case; the maybe this Reader’s Digest version is for them.

In looking at Rovere’s photos; and comparing them with the background older photos: the saber has the most obvious differences and discrepancies with the older photos and illustrations.

All saber photos show Rovere with a higher, non rooted stance; without sinking! It is like looking at a boat or truck that is empty compared to one that is full loaded.

When Rover holds the Hsing-I Saber,
    1) overhead; he extends his arms out more in front;
    a) it relies more on the arms than the stance and body centering and
    b) requires more forward momentum or arm strength for power;

2) when at rest and chambered: the saber is held further from a one’s lower Dan Tien at the rest/prone position; as illustrated in background picture which

Holding the saber higher may have some practicality for running or marching drills, but still lacks the power. Not having the saber swing all the way down and back to a position closer to the Lower Dan Tien; constricts the power of the swing, and looses the benefits of rooting and Qi focusing through one’s center.

When looking at Rovere’s Empty Hand photos; and comparing them with the background older photos and illustrations:

On page 17, Figure 2-4B, it shows two pictures at the bottom; with Dennis Rovere, who appears to be leaning his torso forward, and extending his head. I do not do this, nor do I recommend it, since it causes one to be less rooted, and more committed to a forward motion. One who is skilled will see this forward leaning and lead the person with their own energy. I do not see this in the photos of the old time practitioners

On page 19, Figure 2-5A; Rovere has his front leg straight and bent in ward; this is not a San Ti stance. This is very susceptible to a break with a quick snap kick.

There are two universal defense against kicks to the knee:
    1) angling the knee forward, so the kick gets hit by the front striking area of the knee,
    rather than the more flexible joint;
    2) when in a Cat Stance, T-Stance or San-Ti; the lesser weight of the front foot is shifted backward toward rear leg, and
    a) the front leg evades the kick by repositioning or
    b) the front leg’s knee is repositioned to hit attacker with knee or shin strike.

When Rovere talks about attacks to the front leg, he uses:
    1) the even weightedness of the stance to supposedly make front leg repositioning easier, and
    2) and the front leg’s toes being bent slightly inward, to make breaking of the knee more difficult.

Brian Kennedy has a note on the back cover praising the classic it is based upon; which I agree with; but it is not a fine training manual!

Page 42, Rovere’s front punch is held horizontally as in karate, not vertically like the photo right next to it! This discrepancy is highlighted by Rovere’s own commentary elsewhere about vertical fist punches being better.

There are some fundamental differences in Rover’s empty-hand movements that are more forward leaning, the purported stance is double weighted based on biomechanics not internal energy. Traditional Internal Chinese Martial Arts are more grounded and strikes focused by the Lower Dan Tien.

I distinguish between the translated classical work, from Rovere’s additions; I see major differences.

The book is not a copy of training manual but an approximation; filtered and edited; quoting from the book’s back cover; ‘to present an in-depth explanation of the original text … based upon actual training methods’ . These are not the original text, but explanations of them. These are not the actual training methods, but based upon them!

Consider the reason that pici training was left out of this book, as stated in page 56;
    “Huang makes no mention of pici training with short weapons.
    This is odd for two reasons:
    Practice of this kind was well known and going on at the time of Huang’s writing.
    Combat applications using dagger and bayonet are the most immediately identifiable with empty hand training”

To Rover’s credit; he has added them to his version of the book; showing his heart might well be in the right place. He appears to be better at writing than demonstrating.

Since some of the book is good; and some is not I would have to qualify the book; as ‘unpredictable results’. This phrase is used be techies at IBM, and its meaning is not good.

One who has not trained for a long time in Hsing-I, or in Qigong probably will not notice the differences. One who is experienced might be able to filter the nuggets out of this ore; but beginner’s who want to invest even two years of serious study would do better to avoid it.
    Last edited by Foiling Fist; 11-07-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Alaska. http://jadedragonalaska.yolasite.com/

New Martial Qigong Book; feeling Qi

New Qigong book: Axe Hand; Hsing-i & Internal Strength Workout. The internal energy focus of the book has many paths: hard and soft style Qigong, static and moving postures. Calming emphasis in Qi methods for energy pooling and meridian circulation. Quick projection of explosive Fa Jing in health or attack; as is used in Dim Mak and healing hands.

Wrist and fore-arm stretches to help energy flow:
    these can help with tendonitis, typing hands, carp-tunnel, and muscle knots;
    that will help the energy flow through your wrists,
    preventing injury and learning wrist locks as well as
    teaching grappling seizures and locks,
    and will help you transfer it more effectively;

Progress, consciousness, and power are all tested objectively in meditation, Qigong, martial drills, as well as in-animate objects.

Five move Tai Chi form and Hsing I Five Elements detailed with step by step pictures, instructions, and internal focus as well as what you will feel.

Hsing-i Twelve Animals described step by step.

Standing Pole (Embrace the Moon or Hold the Ball) fixed and
    movig forms of 1)shifting the water and 2)rising-expanding/sinking-contracting;

Fore-arm Throw double set, dynamic drill, adjusting moving root,
    responsive blocking enabling the same move for offence and defense,
    center of Qi as it moves through oneself and
    the center between two people;

Hsing-i San Ti: standing and moving for Qi and Fa Jing;

This workout book contains many everyday methods for internals, meditations, rooting, exercises, tests and self adjustments.

Geared for learning, use study and reference, based on your own background and experience.

Greg Hayes has been studying Martial Arts since 1971 including the
    Wide Circle of Kung Fu of Joseph Greenstein (The Might Atom of Ripley's and Guinness Book of World Records), and Grandmaster Wong Jack (Chia) Man of San Francisco Jing Mo (the first person to complete all of the Northern Shaolin studies since World War II), using Lohan, Northern Shaolin, Hsing I (Xing Yi) San Ti Qigong and Nei Gung. Sifu Wong’s direct lineage can be traced to the Ching soldiers burning of Honan Shaolin Temple 1732 AD., when Monk Chi Yuan escaped and went to Shantung province.

He trained with the late renown healer Mildred Jackson N.D, author of the Handbook of Alternatives to Chemical Medicines, in herbs, diet, and aura readings.

Sifu Hayes has taught Hsing-i, Shaolin, Tai Chi and Qigong since 1991.

Book is available at publisher Lulu:
    http://www.lulu.com/product/paperbac...rkout/15063347

or at Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Hsing-i-I...dp/1257047116/

More information at:
    http://jadedragonalaska.yolasite.com/book-intro.php

instead of reading guys writing half truth distorted myths about ancient kung fu masters, you guys should get translated books of actual ancient masters.

then all this nonsense and retarded questions would never happen.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

when are you going to begin said translation services Bawang?

lol, I'm sure a lot of people would like to have english versions of old manuals so they can read the words:

when he's close, hit him.
    when he is falling back, run him down.
    hit him.
    keep hitting here and here.
    kick this part.
    use a knife.

and so on... lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Its too bad that no one has ever done for TCMA what Draeger did for the Japanese arts in his excellent 3 volume series:
    Classical Bujutsu
    Classical Budo
    Modern Budo and Bujutsu.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

To be honest I never was much for MA books. I mean I have a few and have glanced through a few others.

I really prefer training and getting lessons.
    My reading these days is all over the place otherwise.

I do have a couple of old chinese books that cover all styles of taiji (wu1, wu2, yang, chen, sun) and another that covers all the northern styles (hua, fa, cha, pao, hong.) It is interesting to browse these and try and pull a little out now and then.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I am a reading buff and a history one to boot.
    So I love to read MA books and have a huge collection.
    I have learned decades ago that one doesn't learn MA from a book, but the researching can help one to better understand how that MA came to be what it is, and what it was.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !