Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The importance of strength and power in kung foo

The importance of strength and power in kung foo

IMPO it is far better to concentrate on the above two attributes more so than sensitivity and form. Don't ignore sensitivity drills and forms but spend more time on developing strength and power.

Meet the next Brock Lesnar of kung foo. After you see the flip for the first time fast forward it a little to get to other things. This kid is a genetic freak strength wise and has a big advantage if he keeps developing it.

I agree to a point.

I've been in this discussion before. I call it the Hard vs Soft and Tea Drinking Kung Fu.

See, in Kung Fu, we hear about the two approaches - gong, and yao. Masters talk about yao because it's very high level. They especially talk about it after class when they're in tea drinking discussions with students... I forgot the Chinese name for the after class party / theoretical discussion time... but that's when we hear all of the glorious stories of the past masters and hear the advanced theories of TCMA. One such saying is that you use yao to control gong, but you use gong to kill.

What happens is the students obsess over the soft approach, because it's high level. Using no strength, sensitivity, use the opponent's power to overcome the enemy...

What they forgot is you must first learn and master gong before you begin yao. You cannot skip gong! Yet, they want to skip gong because yao is the secret high level kung fu.

Sooooo we end up with flowery fists and embroidery kicks. Paper tigers. Weak men of kung fu.

yes, guts first, then power and stamina, then technique. that is the order.

otherwise, your link fu is sketchy.

I posted a video but for some reason it didn't go up. Here it is.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1923475

What he looks like is a potential elite gymnast.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaceful Orchid View Post
    What he looks like is a potential elite gymnast.
    Or a potential wrestler

Quote Originally Posted by kungfoozer View Post
    Or a potential wrestler
    Considering the fact that his dad is teaching him gymnastics moves and not wrestling, gymnastics would be the better bet.

So explain to me how a back flip off the table translates to combative skill.

other than working on or honing on specific skills/strength for a particular technique

general fitness or conditioning is required

such as jump rope, weight training, and/or walking 5 miles or more a day etc etc

if you may not win the fight, you may always out run the opponent, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    So explain to me how a back flip off the table translates to combative skill.
    Broha,

I asked you to fastforward past the backflipping. Dang, man.

Back flipping doesn't have any combative application unless your are avoiding a roundhouse kick(saw this in a movie). But the strength training has more application than say...forms.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfoozer View Post
    Broha,

I asked you to fastforward past the backflipping. Dang, man.

Back flipping doesn't have any combative application unless your are avoiding a roundhouse kick(saw this in a movie). But the strength training has more application than say...forms.
    My apologies. I'll rephrase. How does gymnastics translate to combative skill. One can be as fast as Usain Bolt, as agile and quick as Chris Johnson (Titans) or as strong as Sawao Kato (76 Olympics), but it doesn't mean any of them could fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

My apologies. I'll rephrase. How does gymnastics translate to combative skill. One can be as fast as Usain Bolt, as agile and quick as Chris Johnson (Titans) or as strong as Sawao Kato (76 Olympics), but it doesn't mean any of them could fight their way out of a wet paper bag.
    Since the original topic was about strength and power I'll talk about the last guy you mentioned. I would rather have the strong Japanese guy on my side in a fight over someone who was not strong. People that are strong ie, from lifting boxes, furniture, etc know how to use their bodies in ways that many martial artists cannot. Especially those martial artists that don't believe in conditioning or say they do and don't actually do it. If the guy who lifts heavy boxes all day grabs a hold of you you'd better watch out.

Sounds like a typical American mindset. "If I'm big and strong I can win fights." Personally, I disagree with this concept.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Sounds like a typical American mindset. "If I'm big and strong I can win fights." Personally, I disagree with this concept.
    nah, I've met Euros who think like that too...
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Greater strength trumps 10 good techniques every time. This is not politically correct but stronger people are better fighters in general. Strength and power aren't everything but all things equal between two opponents stronger beats weaker.