Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The importance of strength and power in kung foo

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    thats funny sh!t....

look, im not saying gymnastics makes you a great fighter... lol

its more of a comment on how high i value the strength and conditioning required to be a good gymnast and how low i rate the AVERAGE martial artist as a real fighter... my point being that a really healthy fit and strong person can run circles around and run right thru your average mcdojo wannabe...

ofcourse a trained competition fighter or real street fighter will destroy any gymnast that doesnt know how to fight...

and when i say fat.... i mean FAT... not a bit flabby, somewhat chubby... FAT... theres absolutely no excuse for that... and its ok, in america you have every right to be as unproductive as you want and every right to not come anywhere near your potential, if you dont care thats fine(assuming you dont expect me to pay your fatman health bill bullsh!t), but a "master" can perform... otherwise at best you used to be a master...

as far as coaching, lots of 'has beens' or 'never was' type cats can give you invaluable assistance... but they cant do it alone because they cant perform themselves in order to facilitate the training... hence bringing in outside talent for sparring partners and the like...
    Last edited by Syn7; 11-15-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    traditional chinese martial art DEMANDS physcial strength and power. weakness is unacceptable. purposely avoiding tough and bitter strength training, and trying to justify being weak is unforgivable.

anyone that says being weak and sickly in chinese martial arts is ok, he is an infiltrator, a cultural hijacker. he is an enemy of chinese martial arts.
    EPIC.

Someone needs to compile a book full of Bawang's little nuggets of wisdom. Kind of like Bush-isms. We'll call them Bawangisms.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I love how the fat folks here start getting defensive.

Obesity is a disease. It's not a product of age. It's not a product of "taking it easy". It is a product of poor nutrition, poor discipline, and poor self-respect, as you apparently do not mind breaking down your own body.

Defend it all you want. That's why it's a pandemic. Funny thing is, it's the biggest medical plague we've had in centuries, and it is 100% self inflicted. Stop making excuses. Lose the weight, fatty.

Oh, and since someone brought it up, obesity is defined by body fat %, not BMI (designed for sedentary people) or "looking big". Some island folks look huge, but are actually very muscular.
    Obesity isn't a disease. Obesity is a choice. Some people have diseases that lead to obesity, but it's not technically a disease. Those people are far and few between. I agree mostly with what you're saying, but not the statement that it's a disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Servant View Post
    Obesity isn't a disease. Obesity is a choice. Some people have diseases that lead to obesity, but it's not technically a disease. Those people are far and few between. I agree mostly with what you're saying, but not the statement that it's a disease.
    No. Obesity is technically a disease. Google it, for crying out loud.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

I rough estimate shows you'd be pretty good by tape test BF methods.
    Unless you are fine looking woman, you can take your measuring tape somewhere else mister !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Unless you are fine looking woman, you can take your measuring tape somewhere else mister !
    I can be a fine looking woman if you want. A little makeup, trim some of the hair off, a little tucking in, and you got yourself one hot mistress.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

I can be a fine looking woman if you want. A little makeup, trim some of the hair off, a little tucking in, and you got yourself one hot mistress.
    *shudders*...the horror...the horror...

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    ur from Portugal? never knew
    Born in the city of Aveiro, south of Porto and raised on a beach community of Costa Nova
    Came over in 86 and chose to become a Citizen.
    So, technically, I am a Luso-Canadian !!