Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sweeping during sparring

sweeping during sparring

Just asking. Are you guys allowed to or encouraged to sweep your opponent during in class sparring? A guy in my office trains in another system was sparring with a higher belt a few weeks ago and got swept. On november 8th he had his knee and ACL rebuilt ,his martial arts career is done, forever. Needless Im a bit concerned watching my guys lighting up this technique in class? thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
    Just asking. Are you guys allowed to or encouraged to sweep your opponent during in class sparring? A guy in my office trains in another system was sparring with a higher belt a few weeks ago and got swept. On november 8th he had his knee and ACL rebuilt ,his martial arts career is done, forever. Needless Im a bit concerned watching my guys lighting up this technique in class? thoughts?
    There is risk in martial arts.

One wrong move and it's over for you.

Just be mindful of that.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    There is risk in martial arts.

One wrong move and it's over for you.

Just be mindful of that.

That's some non-specific advice.

Sweeping can be dangerous. I don't do it because the people I spar with don't have any experience doing break falls. I think that sweeping is a good thing to drill but in sparring it isn't a good idea. In competition yeah.

In my opinion, you should train for it during sparring, if you don't it will probably not be effective in either tournaments or in real life situations. You or the students will not have confidence using this skill...and when it comes time, you use what you know best.

What happened with your friend was unfortunate and you can't or shouldn't train based on fear, lots of things could have contributed to his knee going out, including genetics, and lack of skill applying this technique. What you can do is apply steps to ensure a couple of things, make sure students are properly warmed up and include lots of stretching and flexibility drills. Two: work the techniques at slower controlled speeds and build up from there, covering the potential injury factors with the students and three talk to them about how to protect themselves using martial techniques, foot work, cat stance, and or break falls and the like.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Tore my ACL at a point style Karate tournament due to a "bad" sweep about ten years ago. Injuries can and will occur in training and in competition. Learning to break fall is what should be taught first and foremost in martial arts classes, especially one where sweeps and takedowns are taught in a fully resistant environment.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

I know this guy, once he walked out of his house and tried to cross the street

A truck hit him and killed him

So you should never leave your house

Most definitely never try to cross the street
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by kungfoozer View Post
    That's some non-specific advice.

Sweeping can be dangerous. I don't do it because the people I spar with don't have any experience doing break falls. I think that sweeping is a good thing to drill but in sparring it isn't a good idea. In competition yeah.
    It appears you have answered your own question. To work sweeps, work with people that can fall, or teach them how to. Use some control when working with others, utilize equipment (one can sweep a heavy bag standing upright on the ground for instance, or a tire for example) to develop power in the technique.
    -Golden Arms-

Blog Entries
    I know this guy, once he walked out of his house and tried to cross the street

A truck hit him and killed him

So you should never leave your house

Most definitely never try to cross the street
    EXACTLY!!!!!!

Nah, seriously, sweeps are something you need to take some time in getting to know before you try them. One wrong move and you're done. for example, i've seen some people try to sweep you at your ankle only to get his toe jammed into the guys foot and it hurt like a mudda chukka. he was out of order for weeks.

What i have my guys do is methodically go through there sweeps focusing on correctness. keep drilling it till your sweep takes the guy down each time. then when their ready tell them to include sweeps in their sparring. they know about not wanting to jam their toes so i always tell them to aim like around mid calf or just a little highter to get the knee to buckle.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 11-12-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    It appears you have answered your own question. To work sweeps, work with people that can fall, or teach them how to. Use some control when working with others, utilize equipment (one can sweep a heavy bag standing upright on the ground for instance, or a tire for example) to develop power in the technique.

It wasn't my question. I was answering another guy's post. I'm so confused. Help me , god

Quote Originally Posted by solo1 View Post

We sweep and do various takedowns in class. Only in intermediate/advanced class though. We don't even spar in beginner classes. No injuries so far. (fingers crossed) Sparring injuries we have had was not due to sweeping. We've had broken collar bones, dislocated fingers, fractured toe(me personally), fractured ribs(again me) and a hyper extended elbow. And of course the usual busted lip.

Heck I get injured more doing forms. So far I have stabbed myself with a sword long story. Torn an MCL and severely sprained an ankle.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    We sweep and do various takedowns in class. Only in intermediate/advanced class though. We don't even spar in beginner classes. No injuries so far. (fingers crossed) Sparring injuries we have had was not due to sweeping. We've had broken collar bones, dislocated fingers, fractured toe(me personally), fractured ribs(again me) and a hyper extended elbow. And of course the usual busted lip.

Heck I get injured more doing forms. So far I have stabbed myself with a sword long story. Torn an MCL and severely sprained an ankle.
    You injured yourself doing forms? I feel sadness for you. Bless you child for you must have sinned to be hurting yourself doing forms. Stabbing yourself with a sword doesn't really count though. Hurting yourself doing forms would be like tripping over your own feet or yelling the tiger sound too loud causing you to lose your voice.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfoozer View Post
    You injured yourself doing forms? I feel sadness for you. Bless you child for you must have sinned to be hurting yourself doing forms. Stabbing yourself with a sword doesn't really count though. Hurting yourself doing forms would be like tripping over your own feet or yelling the tiger sound too loud causing you to lose your voice.
    Yeah I know. The torn MCL was recent, in our snake form there is a part where you execute a jump spinning crescent and drop to a splits. The drop to a splits was not the most gracefull. The sprained ankle was a butterfly kick gone awry.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    Yeah I know. The torn MCL was recent, in our snake form there is a part where you execute a jump spinning crescent and drop to a splits. The drop to a splits was not the most gracefull. The sprained ankle was a butterfly kick gone awry.
    Jump into a split? Anyone with a pen!s should not be doing that! That's Saturday Night Fever, not kung foo.

Yes, we practice sweeps (to the back of the leg or ankle) during sparring. Never seen an injury from it. It is one of the first five techniques I teach beginning students.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    our beginner's curriculum begins with breakfalls and then sweeps.
    Anyone who does not teach their students how to take a proper fall, is doing them a diservice.
    I tell my students that if they learn nothing else from me, they will learn how to fall.
    You may never get into a fight, but you will always fall.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.